Aaron Rodgers officially begins holdout by skipping Packers mandatory mini-camp

TheKillerNacho

On 6/10/2021 at 11:22 PM, incognito_man said:

No, I don't think there's any "disruption". These guys are all focused on themselves. People wildly overestimate how much other players care about individuals who are holding out or whatever. 

Every other player is there and practicing and nobody is disrupted at all by this. I think even Andrew Brandt agrees with this notion that GB is glad he's not even there so they can get a look at Love.

At the very least all the criticism GB is getting from fans about not accommodating Rodgers is a distraction. You can't just brush that off like it's nothing like you seem intent on doing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sledgehammer said:

At the very least all the criticism GB is getting from fans about not accommodating Rodgers is a distraction.

You might be overestimating the number of GB fans that are taking the FO to task.

This is a contract dispute. Plain and simple. All this other stuff is "eyewash" and sports/social media contrivances.

AR wants more guarantees in his remaining contract. Not sure if he's looking for more money, but I'd tend to doubt it. He's the highest player in the land at the moment (has the highest cap hit of any other NFL player), cash is tight and if he wants GB to field a decent roster, he cant be demanding more cash since he alone accounts for 19-20% of GB's cap.

If it's rings he wants, some others need to get paid as well.

IMO AR's using the spike in his play last season in an effort to leverage greater guarantees in the 3 years remaining in his contract and far as I can tell, the fan base isnt anywhere close to storming headquarters at 1265 on AR's behalf.  

2 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

At the very least all the criticism GB is getting from fans about not accommodating Rodgers is a distraction. You can't just brush that off like it's nothing like you seem intent on doing. 

Him missing OTAs is a mixture of "nothing" and "good".

8 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

does the possibility not exist that it galvanizes the team in some manner?

So at this point we really only have 4 options. Personally if he isn't going to play for the Packers again I want to see him sit and have him available for trade next year. I don't think the value decline will outmatch the value of most likely getting at least 1 top 10 pick compared to the 24-30 that you would most likely get if he was traded now. 

1. Plays - Packers run it back and instantly become one of the favorites in the NFC. 

2. Sits - Packers see what they have in Love for one year. They trade AR next year most likely for at least one high 1st round pick since the cap space doesn't really matter this year and waiting allows them to both see what picks they may get in return as well as building potential trade targets. There may be a small decline in value but I doubt any team in win now would care that substantially about the year of rest from AR considering how Brady is playing. 

3. Retires - Packers open up cap space for the next couple years but miss out on any picks or players that would be coming via trade. 

4. Trade Now - Packers get probably the most trade assets but any picks would be low round picks and the Packers would not know what they would be getting. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 6:36 AM, sledgehammer said:

I think you would be surprised to know that most fans want AR back but are not really going to bat for him like they did Favre. If one of his objectives is to win the PR battle in Wisconsin he seems to be failing miserably. 

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

I think you would be surprised to know that most fans want AR back but are not really going to bat for him like they did Favre. If one of his objectives is to win the PR battle in Wisconsin he seems to be failing miserably. 

I remember the exact opposite. Especially in here. Pretty much every Packers fan was dumping on him any chance they got. 

Edited by Mesa_Titan

17 hours ago, squire12 said:

does the possibility not exist that it galvanizes the team in some manner?

Possibly, but only so much "feel good" available, and that doesn't come close to replacing an MVP calibur QB.

36 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I remember the exact opposite. Especially in here. Pretty much every Packers fan was dumping on him any chance they got. 

I haven't seen that in the Packers forum nor anywhere else that I frequent. Most are taking the opinion that they want AR back but they are not willing to pay him more money and really feel like he is more at fault for this situation then the FO is. Of course everyone is dumping on him for creating this headache but that doesn't mean we want a different QB with one of the most talented teams that the Packers have had in the last 10 years. 

48 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I haven't seen that in the Packers forum nor anywhere else that I frequent. Most are taking the opinion that they want AR back but they are not willing to pay him more money and really feel like he is more at fault for this situation then the FO is. Of course everyone is dumping on him for creating this headache but that doesn't mean we want a different QB with one of the most talented teams that the Packers have had in the last 10 years. 

I was talking about Favre. 

On 6/14/2021 at 12:22 AM, incognito_man said:

Him missing OTAs is a mixture of "nothing" and "good".

Yeah ok have it your way. If only other teams could be so lucky to have their most important player being a hostile presence. They don't know what they're missing. 👍

• Like 1