Jump to content

Aaron Rodgers officially begins holdout by skipping Packers mandatory mini-camp


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I think you would be surprised to know that most fans want AR back but are not really going to bat for him like they did Favre. If one of his objectives is to win the PR battle in Wisconsin he seems to be failing miserably. 

Yeah they're probably realistic about it.  Rodgers is a 'complicated fella', as he's demonstrating. But I think there's still a strong current of 'surely they could have handled this better'. 

From what I've noticed the Packers fans, in the main, seem to be getting it right in understanding that nobody is right here. As so often in life, while everybody wants to take one side over the other, the truth is that both sides are in the wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

Yeah ok have it your way. If only other teams could be so lucky to have their most important player being a hostile presence. They don't know what they're missing. 👍

He's not a presence. That's the point lol

It would be worse if he was there and actually present

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I remember the exact opposite. Especially in here. Pretty much every Packers fan was dumping on him any chance they got. 

Dumping on him after he was moved, not before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bullet Club said:
5 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I remember the exact opposite. Especially in here. Pretty much every Packers fan was dumping on him any chance they got. 

Dumping on him after he was moved, not before

Yup. There were only a handful of posters here back in 2007 that wanted to move on from Favre. 

Today, the % of fans here that want to move on from Rodgers is at least 10x as much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I haven't seen that in the Packers forum nor anywhere else that I frequent. Most are taking the opinion that they want AR back but they are not willing to pay him more money and really feel like he is more at fault for this situation then the FO is. Of course everyone is dumping on him for creating this headache but that doesn't mean we want a different QB with one of the most talented teams that the Packers have had in the last 10 years. 

My take as a non-Packer fan in Wisconsin is that the average fan is blaming everyone, and won't commit to an either or type thing.

3 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

Yeah ok have it your way. If only other teams could be so lucky to have their most important player being a hostile presence. They don't know what they're missing. 👍

Even ignoring the Rodgers part, I don't know if you could set up a worse way to bring in a new QB. No reps or anything for a year builds hype, and now he has to come in and follow 30 years of MVP caliber QBs as his first public reps are dissected to hell and back. Good luck with that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I owned the Packers I would be giving Aaron wotever he wants right about now. Not like they have any better options. Only other option is to call up the Texans and see if they willing to deal Watson. There is no easy end to this one lol😡

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

Yeah they're probably realistic about it.  Rodgers is a 'complicated fella', as he's demonstrating. But I think there's still a strong current of 'surely they could have handled this better'. 

From what I've noticed the Packers fans, in the main, seem to be getting it right in understanding that nobody is right here. As so often in life, while everybody wants to take one side over the other, the truth is that both sides are in the wrong. 

Actually I take it the opposite way - nobody is massively in the wrong just the two sides have different objectives which are incompatible.

Rodgers is the league MVP and doesn't want to be placeholder.  Its (Packers) his team and if that isn't the case and he is just keeping the seat warm then he wants to be somewhere else where he is the main man again.

Packers don't want to commit to Rodgers as he is pushing 38 and doing so would pretty much mean giving up on his successor. Likewise they are all-in this year to go for the title so trading him this season doesn't make sense.

So you have a Mexican standoff.  Pretty much everything else (all the culture, its about people stuff) is just noise. That's what it comes down to.  There isn't really a compromise - one side has to back down. Both sides have objectives which are completely reasonable.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Packers are smart, they would start being realistic and admitting to themselves that they aren't going to win another Super Bowl with this guy.  He's 38 years old and isn't getting any better.  He showed in the NFCCG last year when he had several opportunities to get it done that he is too timid to "go for it" when necessary.  The guy is the anti-Favre.  Favre would throw the game away with INT's and lose it that way.  Rodgers refuses to take chances, and he loses it that way.  He's good, but not good enough to overcome what his salary takes away.

What the Packers would do if they were smart is move on and hope they have at least a good QB in Jordan Love.  Make use of the years remaining on his rookie deal and add as many pieces around him as they can with the picks they can get in a Rodgers trade.

The window has closed on the Rodgers era.  Open the door to the Love era as soon as possible to give that era as much chance at success as possible. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

If the Packers are smart, they would start being realistic and admitting to themselves that they aren't going to win another Super Bowl with this guy.  He's 38 years old and isn't getting any better.  He showed in the NFCCG last year when he had several opportunities to get it done that he is too timid to "go for it" when necessary.  The guy is the anti-Favre.  Favre would throw the game away with INT's and lose it that way.  Rodgers refuses to take chances, and he loses it that way.  He's good, but not good enough to overcome what his salary takes away.

What the Packers would do if they were smart is move on and hope they have at least a good QB in Jordan Love.  Make use of the years remaining on his rookie deal and add as many pieces around him as they can with the picks they can get in a Rodgers trade.

The window has closed on the Rodgers era.  Open the door to the Love era as soon as possible to give that era as much chance at success as possible. 

 

Dude. You need to delete the NFCN files in your head and reload them with AFCS data.
You've no need to concern yourself with this stuff anymore :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He showed in the NFCCG last year when he had several opportunities to get it done that he is too timid to "go for it" when necessary.  The guy is the anti-Favre.  Favre would throw the game away with INT's and lose it that way.  Rodgers refuses to take chances, and he loses it that way.  He's good, but not good enough to overcome what his salary takes away.

I agree with you to some extent. Rodgers has always had that tendency, dating to Cal. I attended a game in the Coliseum circa 2004 with USC a 13.5 point favorite over Rodgers and Cal. Those were the legendary Trojan teams under Pete Carroll. Rodgers hit a tremendous percentage of his passes but it was glaring in the stands that he gave away one opportunity after another for big game changing plays. There would be wide open receivers downfield. Everyone in the USC section would see it and cringe. But instead of risking those throws Rodgers would look away and throw a safe dump off pass. 

It was so pathetic that there were literally sorority girls who didn't know a damn thing about football laughing at Aaron Rodgers. I'll never forget it. They were seated only feet away from me: "What is he doing? That was an easy touchdown. Why didn't he throw it? What a wimp."

Cal ended up stalling deep on a late drive and lost a close game. Early analysis of that game focused on the hefty percentage that Rodgers connected on, and praised him for the performance. But months later approaching the draft that game took on added scrutiny. Many analysts who either attended the game or had access to the coach's tape realized it was a miserable performance. I remember all the related criticism on ESPN. Every time anyone wonders why Rodgers fell so sharply in the draft, that game played a role along with the very stiff Tedford mechanics and ball position. Rodgers wasn't close to plug and play.

So it was a rare scenario of the quarterback dropping far below his ability level, but many of the inherent flaws remaining. There is no question that Rodgers throughout his career has not taken enough chances. And he has never understood the value of seizing initiative early to build big leads, ones that totally change margin for error. He loves the wow throws and comebacks. 

However, I do not agree that the Packers should move on. Even if Rodgers isn't as greedy as he should be, the totality places the Packers very close to championship level, like within a play or two of the Buccaneers last season. It's a Schottenheimer-type situation where it's incredibly foolish to overplay the bottom line miss in comparison to properly evaluating how darn difficult it is to reach and sustain that level. 

In terms of who is to blame, it falls squarely on Aaron Rodgers. He somehow didn't grasp how lazy he had been for the 5 seasons prior to Jordan Love being drafted. Totally pathetic caliber of play and stats for someone of that ability level. The only thing propping him up was very low interception rate. As soon as Love was drafted I emphasized that this would give Aaron Rodgers the necessary kick in the pants. And that's exactly what happened. His stats and overall level restored to a half dozen years earlier.

If Green Bay were a major market like New York there would have been top local media guys blasting Rodgers for his 5 years of laziness. Rodgers would have heard it constantly. He either would have dealt with it himself or recognized they were correct, once his level soared upon drafting Jordan Love. Instead, Rodgers has been allowed to sit back and pretend none of it ever happened, that he was the same guy in 2020 as 2015 through 2019. 

Edited by Awsi Dooger
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

They could not have handled this better.

Seattle had their QB cry a fit and want to be co-GM.

They said NO!

He was a well paid adult who got over it.

 

Rodgers is an emotionally deficient narcissist so he wanted them to make special rules for him.

Did Brady cry that 2019 was a lame duck year or did he embrace it?

Did Cousins cry on the franchise tag for years or just embrace the challenge?

A team that makes special rules for 1 guy then has to make special rules for everyone.

 

End of the day this is a QB on a 4 year 134 million dollar deal who is holding out and declining his leadership role on the team because he got his feelings hurt. An actual NFL football player holding out over tender feelings?

 

Deshaun Watson made a stand because the team is a clown show and Easterby is a bad person and a worse FO cancer.

Rodgers is pretending Green Bay is similar. Rodgers is a liar and a fool.

You judge a GM by one thing: Record.

Gutenkist is 32-15-1 with 2 NFCCGs in 3 years and an absolute A++ coaching hire.

Rodgers and his multiple red zone failures vs Tampa is the reason the GM did not get to the Super Bowl.

I don't care if he does not keep a joke WR on the roster as Aaron's comfort buddy.

 

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

They could not have handled this better.

Seattle had their QB cry a fit and want to be co-GM.

They said NO!

He was a well paid adult who got over it.

Rodgers is an emotionally deficient narcissist so he wanted them to make special rules for him.

☺️🥰😍

I am loving what the holdout is already doing to Rodgers's perception in the eyes of fans. I for one hope an example is made of his selfishness and general unlikability, maybe even, dare I say...Rodgers should be...cancelled?  I mean, I wonder why Rodgers was so against tutoring Love. I wonder why that was...

I'm just a guy asking questions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

☺️🥰😍

I am loving what the holdout is already doing to Rodgers's perception in the eyes of fans. I for one hope an example is made of his selfishness and general unlikability, maybe even, dare I say...Rodgers should be...cancelled?  I mean, I wonder why Rodgers was so against tutoring Love. I wonder why that was...

I'm just a guy asking questions.

What are you implying here? Because if it is what I think it is, you are being dumb. 

PS: Rodgers being "cancelled" is completely ridiculous. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

What are you implying here? Because if it is what I think it is, you are being dumb. 

PS: Rodgers being "cancelled" is completely ridiculous. 

Bro, I'm trying to start a new narrative. Don't just stand there: dredge up an old gossip column on Aaron & Danica getting in an argument and add a few details, just be a guy asking questions. Come on. Let's get this guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...