Aaron Rodgers officially begins holdout by skipping Packers mandatory mini-camp

TheKillerNacho

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If he misses day 1 of training camp, he loses an accrued season and millions of dollars. He will show up day 1 of TC.

Show up, take 1 snap, pretend to be injured, ride the bike all TC.

Thinking about that. How would it be ruled if he claimed to have a burnout/boreout? It seems to be considered a disease by most of the rest of the (western) world. So why couldn't a QB suffer from that?

19 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

Show up, take 1 snap, pretend to be injured, ride the bike all TC.

Thinking about that. How would it be ruled if he claimed to have a burnout/boreout? It seems to be considered a disease by most of the rest of the (western) world. So why couldn't a QB suffer from that?

This was kind of my question when I asked "is there a penalty for malingering?" 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

If he misses day 1 of training camp, he loses an accrued season and millions of dollars. He will show up day 1 of TC.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

That's not true. An accrued year is at least 6 regular season games or time spent on injury lists. 

To be clear - A-Rod loses an accrued season in service time towards free agency by missing Day 1 - which would matter if he had less than 4 seasons of accrued time.   As a vet with more than 4 seasons of service time - he's already qualified for FA when his contract ends.  It used to be that a player just had to report 30 days before the 1st game to keep the total service time accrual - now it's missing 1st day, or a 5-day consecutive period.    To qualify for UFA status, players need 2 conditions met:

1.  Service time in NFL of 4+ years (this the part that gets affected by day 1 holdout) - 3 years, and you get RFA status, BTW, unless you are a RD1 pick.

2.  Expired contract (this works differently - see below).  

Now, contract years toll under different rules - what @Deadpulse is referring to, the Joey Galloway precedent - 6 games on active roster or IR lets the contract year toll, and then they're on to the next year.     To be clear, A-Rod could hold out day 1 - and lose his year of service time - but again, you only need 4 years to qualify for FA, when your contract is up.   The contract year, though, tolls under different rules - and that's the confusion between the 2 statements above.

If this was a player holding out on his rookie deal in his 4th year.....then yes, a Day 1 holdout would affect status towards FA.   This happened with Aaron Donald, IIRC (Donald's agent was so dumb there, unbelievably bad advice).   But in A-Rod's case, much like Ezekiel Elliott & Melvin Gordon (who both held out before their 5th season, with the additional Rd1 option year) - once you get the 4 years of service time in, that Day 1 not-reporting penalty is moot.  It's a mechanism to keep rookie-contract players in line.    It doesn't affect vets nearly as much.    It's why both Elliott & MG3 reported to get their contract year to toll; only having 4 years instead of 5 service-time still allowed both to be FA's at year's end (and allowed MG3 to walk, Zeke obviously got extended when Jerry Jones blinked).

Back to A-Rod - this is really going to be a battle of wills.   I think if there is a trade, it's happening until around TC.   It could still be that GB just holds on and stares A-Rod down through the season, too. But the TC holdout on Day 1 service time penalty isn't nearly as much of a threat to A-Rod as it would be for a player in his rookie deal - then missing Day 1 TC really matters.  That's not the case here. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Jordan Love isn’t ready and you know it. And I’m a big Love fan. If Love plays this year it could hurt him in the long run. Plus Rodgers is coming off a Top 5 season in the sport’s history. 

What?

He's obviously ready to take OTA snaps...

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is not true. Rules changed in new CBA.

As @Broncofan said, this is only true with under 3 accrued seasons:

ARTICLE 8 VETERANS WITH FEWER THAN THREE ACCRUED SEASONS

Section 1. Accrued Seasons Calculation: (a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games (which shall include any games encompassed in any injury settlement, injury grievance settlement or injury grievance award), but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad. (b) A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which (i) he failed to report to the Club’s preseason training camp on that player’s mandatory reporting date; or (ii) the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within thirty days of the application by the player, and shall be based upon all information relating to such hardship submitted by such date. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be final and binding upon all parties.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/NFLPA/CBA2020/NFL-NFLPA_CBA_March_5_2020.pdf

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Saw this coming. I'm pretty sure Rodgers is sincere in his desire to not play, at least for Green Bay. They should break it off gracefully instead of letting him be a distraction all season long.

Too bad for Aaron he has zero leverage. His cash flow would go from +$20million to -$30million for the year if he decides not to play. A $50million difference.

I would have preferred to move on as well, but it's virtually guaranteed at this point he will suit up for GB.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Too bad for Aaron he has zero leverage. His cash flow would go from +$20million to -$30million for the year if he decides not to play. A $50million difference.

I would have preferred to move on as well, but it's virtually guaranteed at this point he will suit up for GB.

I think you are vastly underrated how a losing season with a disgruntled face of the franchise sitting out would effect a publicly traded team's bottom line. 

• Like 1

Just now, Deadpulse said:

I think you are vastly underrated how a losing season with a disgruntled face of the franchise sitting out would effect a publicly traded team's bottom line. 

Publicly traded? Lol

It would have zero effect, and GB shares are not publicly "traded".

Just now, Deadpulse said:

misspoke, publicly owned. You can keep your head buried if you want. 

Lol

Yeah, I'm definitely not the one with their head buried here...

You go ahead and believe GB doesn't have literally all the leverage in this situation with that $50 million hit they know Rodgers is staring at...