Aaron Rodgers officially begins holdout by skipping Packers mandatory mini-camp

TheKillerNacho

7 hours ago, showtime said:

I haven't closely followed this story. What is it exactly that Rodgers wants that will make him come back and be happy in Green Bay?

He wants to leave GB whenever he wants and Love's pick messed with that. Because he can't say that publicly he's using certain things he doesn't like about the FO that weren't enough to warrant this behavior up until Love was picked. The way he stays in GB is by giving him an extension that assures him he will play for the Packers for 3 years.

• Like 1

I think we often look at these things too dispassionately as fans of the game. We get so used to players being cut, traded, released, signed, retired that we forget that these are real people doing a real job. They aren't just chess pieces being moved around a very large board.

Imagine if you had worked for an organisation for 15+ years. Given them excellent service, always turned up to work, been one of the best at your job in the whole country (admittedly been very well paid). Then one day you turn up to work and the company has hired your replacement. No warning, no conversation, just an obvious 'we want you out the door in the next couple of years and this is the man taking your job'.

Now obviously an NFL player's career is different in terms of its longevity, but the point still stands. I would be absolutely fuming! I'm sure most people would be the same.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VonKarman said:

He wants to leave GB whenever he wants and Love's pick messed with that. Because he can't say that publicly he's using certain things he doesn't like about the FO that weren't enough to warrant this behavior up until Love was picked. The way he stays in GB is by giving him an extension that assures him he will play for the Packers for 3 years.

If that’s the case then I feel bad for Jordan Love. He could have went to a team that would actually give him a shot. 

7 hours ago, JonMcC2018 said:

I think we often look at these things too dispassionately as fans of the game. We get so used to players being cut, traded, released, signed, retired that we forget that these are real people doing a real job. They aren't just chess pieces being moved around a very large board.

Imagine if you had worked for an organisation for 15+ years. Given them excellent service, always turned up to work, been one of the best at your job in the whole country (admittedly been very well paid). Then one day you turn up to work and the company has hired your replacement. No warning, no conversation, just an obvious 'we want you out the door in the next couple of years and this is the man taking your job'.

Now obviously an NFL player's career is different in terms of its longevity, but the point still stands. I would be absolutely fuming! I'm sure most people would be the same.

I guess I would counter by saying Aaron Rodgers clearly knew it was a possibility considering our GM spoke publicly about both drafting Drew Lock the previous season and indicating he would not hesitate to draft a QB in the first round in 2020:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/02/21/green-bay-packers-gm-brian-gutekunst-opens-door-drafting-qb-first-round/4820313002/

While you are correct that these decisions affect actual human lives, these guys (at least the guy in this case) are rewarded handsomely and understand going in the nature of the business. So, when these things happen, they are (or should have been) conditioned to handle it professionally for years/decades prior.

99% of players who change teams do not act like this. Why should Aaron Rodgers get special treatment from any of us to consider his poor little feelings? Yes, change in life can be hard. 99.999999% of the population handles bigger change, with MUCH less money FAR more gracefully every single day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

For the record....I talked about connecting....not paying. Those can be two different things. 

Hmm...how far back are we going? As the front office is not all the same people as before, I'm not sure how we can fault them about disputes ten years ago, per se. What examples are you alluding to? I am not aware of any in recent history(?). And it seems to be a pretty subjective thing to assess the level a team is connecting with a player they are re-signing. It seems like they have successfully signed and re-signed guys with no problems(?).

Edited by NudeTayne

11 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

This is just stupid..... 

Nothing about this statement jives with the high ground say less approach Rodgers has taken this entire offseason. I can't imagine he approved of this nor will he be happy about it when he sees it considering the posturing he's done so far for public image.

17 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Nothing about this statement jives with the high ground say less approach Rodgers has taken this entire offseason. I can't imagine he approved of this nor will he be happy about it when he sees it considering the posturing he's done so far for public image.

according to the article that was a private message and Rodgers dad hasnt seen him in 7 years