Aaron Rodgers officially begins holdout by skipping Packers mandatory mini-camp

TheKillerNacho

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

according to the article that was a private message and Rodgers dad hasnt seen him in 7 years

Ye his personal problems with his family have been well known (not even just his dad). If this was some sort of attempt to rebuild that bridge and get them talking again I think it was misguided. This just makes Aaron look worse. 

3 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Ye his personal problems with his family have been well known (not even just his dad). If this was some sort of attempt to rebuild that bridge and get them talking again I think it was misguided. This just makes Aaron look worse. 

I think you missed my point. It has no relation to Rodgers as it isnt coming from a source that has any knowledge about Aarons career thoughts. Additionally, it was a private message, it was not an interview that was supposed to go public. In other words - it wasnt an attempt to rebuild a bridge.

Edited by Matts4313

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think you missed my point. It has no relation to Rodgers as it isnt coming from a source that has any knowledge about Aarons career thoughts. Additionally, it was a private message, it was not an interview that was supposed to go public. In other words - it wasnt an attempt to rebuild a bridge.

Hard to believe he could say all of this and not expect it to go public with the current climate surrounding this situation. He’d have been better off saying nothing. 

1 hour ago, malak1 said:

How would adding, say, Tee Higgins instead of Jordan Love have subtracted from the 2020 GBP?

draft picks would have been an option.  Rodgers is pretty known to not throw to rookie WR, so it probably does not move the needle much over Adams/MVS/Lazard.  That is also assuming that Higgins fits the mold of the pass blocking WR that the MLF system likes.  

18 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

well no, do you really think it was meant literally? Really? People are arguing that Rodgers should just be happy with the #3 offense, when he is far and away the biggest reason they were #3, which is just silly. Its not a strawman at all. Rodgers pass catching group is at best average. Adams is amazing, and the next best thing you can say is that their TE is an average(ish) option there. Jones is a capable pass catcher but hes not out there running the full route tree consistently. Their line was great, but that only allows for so much and its looking to be significantly worse this year.

Elite WR1 and OL. Above average pass-catching TE. Average-ish WR2, WR3 and RB as pass catcher. That looks like an above-average supporting offense to me. Big step down from the likes of TB, KC, BUF, NO, maybe 1 or 2 others I'm missing. Beyond that, about on par or not far behind.

Edited by childofpudding
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Nothing about this statement jives with the high ground say less approach Rodgers has taken this entire offseason. I can't imagine he approved of this nor will he be happy about it when he sees it considering the posturing he's done so far for public image.

Aaron Rodgers is the type of guy to point out that he is taking the high road.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Aaron Rodgers is the type of guy to point out that he is taking the high road.

Honestly I hadn't considered this but if he gets caught drip feeding this sort of info to people like Schefter and Glazer while playing this passive aggressive approach it has real potential to blow up in his face. I don't want to believe that's what is happening but it certainly doesn't sound unbelievable to me.

Edited by Rodjahs12
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JonMcC2018 said:

I think we often look at these things too dispassionately as fans of the game. We get so used to players being cut, traded, released, signed, retired that we forget that these are real people doing a real job. They aren't just chess pieces being moved around a very large board.

Imagine if you had worked for an organisation for 15+ years. Given them excellent service, always turned up to work, been one of the best at your job in the whole country (admittedly been very well paid). Then one day you turn up to work and the company has hired your replacement. No warning, no conversation, just an obvious 'we want you out the door in the next couple of years and this is the man taking your job'.

Now obviously an NFL player's career is different in terms of its longevity, but the point still stands. I would be absolutely fuming! I'm sure most people would be the same.

But they didn’t draft his replacement. They drafted a quarterback, the roster always has 3 of them, and ideally you want them to be as talented as possible, so that injuries and/or retirements don’t ruin your team.

Any employee who expects the company to treat him as if he is a) irreplaceable and b) immortal - and make the overall workforce less capable as a result - is having an ego attack and needs a dose of reality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Elite WR1 and OL. Above average pass-catching TE. Average-ish WR2, WR3 and RB as pass catcher. That looks like an above-average supporting offense to me. Big step down from the likes of TB, KC, BUF, NO, maybe 1 or 2 others I'm missing. Beyond that, about on par or not far behind.

cool story. i disagree that tonyan is above average and id guess youre in a pretty deep minority that Lazard and MVS are even close to average.  ANd while GBs oline was elite in the past, its fairly unlikely that they classify as that this year. But all this is just nonsense and pointless to debate as its purely subjective unless someone is throwing around incredibly foolish claims. 

Also, for clarities sake, what are you calling there supporting cast. like lets put a range on paper you wouldnt argue either way as your descroption is fairly vague. Would you say 10-15, 10-20? 8-15? 15-22? Indulge and just let us know what range you feel is fair.

3 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Tonyan is really good. Give him some credit. He's top 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

cool story. i disagree that tonyan is above average and id guess youre in a pretty deep minority that Lazard and MVS are even close to average.  ANd while GBs oline was elite in the past, its fairly unlikely that they classify as that this year. But all this is just nonsense and pointless to debate as its purely subjective unless someone is throwing around incredibly foolish claims. 

Also, for clarities sake, what are you calling there supporting cast. like lets put a range on paper you wouldnt argue either way as your descroption is fairly vague. Would you say 10-15, 10-20? 8-15? 15-22? Indulge and just let us know what range you feel is fair.

Calling MVS anything but an above average #3 WR is ridiculous. He's shown more than enough production for that role in the offense. As for Tonyan he's had one year of exposure and played at an incredibly high level over an entire season. You can get away with calling him average now based primarily on him still being a bit of an unknown league wide, but if he plays up to the way he did last year again this season that argument goes the window too.

Edited by Rodjahs12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Calling MVS anything but an above average #3 WR is ridiculous. He's shown more than enough production for that role in the offense. As for Tonyan he's had one year of exposure and played at an incredibly high level over an entire season. You can get away with calling him average now based primarily on him still being a bit of an unknown league wide, but if he plays up to the way he did last year again this season that argument goes the window too.

No, Robert Tongan did not play at an incredibly high level. Period. Travis Kelley did, George little did, but not Robert Tonyan. He’s in the same class as like a dozen other te’s. He’s a legitimate starter who is even good at times, but in terms of just “weapons” he’s not a huge plus.

and this is the same thing as said in the other post, it’s subjective. If you want to say MVS had 600 yards (9r however many he and) as a #3 and that’s great, but I think you can throw a lot of bodies in the role MVS and they would have similar production. He’s a tall, athletic guy whose not a great wr and possibly never will be.

but I’ll pose the same question to you. When ranking gbs supporting cast, what’s the range you wouldn’t argue neither way. 5-8, 10-20, etc, etc?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

No, Robert Tongan did not play at an incredibly high level. Period. Travis Kelley did, George little did, but not Robert Tonyan. He’s in the same class as like a dozen other te’s. He’s a legitimate starter who is even good at times, but in terms of just “weapons” he’s not a huge plus.

and this is the same thing as said in the other post, it’s subjective. If you want to say MVS had 600 yards (9r however many he and) as a #3 and that’s great, but I think you can throw a lot of bodies in the role MVS and they would have similar production. He’s a tall, athletic guy whose not a great wr and possibly never will be.

but I’ll pose the same question to you. When ranking gbs supporting cast, what’s the range you wouldn’t argue neither way. 5-8, 10-20, etc, etc?

I'd put us in that 8-12 range at worst personally. I may be overrating Tonyan a tad because we were getting next to zero production at that position before he came in and seemingly solved it for us out of nowhere. Depending on what you want from your #3, I can see why some don't care for MVS. He's never going to put up huge volume stats, but he's a game changer when he's catching the ball. Rare speed for his size and gets the most out of his long stride. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but you can do a hell of a lot worse from your #3 WR. As a #2 he and Lazard are both average. Hard to argue that.