Aaron Rodgers officially begins holdout by skipping Packers mandatory mini-camp

TheKillerNacho

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Lol

Yeah, I'm definitely not the one with their head buried here...

You go ahead and believe GB doesn't have literally all the leverage in this situation with that $50 million hit they know Rodgers is staring at...

Right, because the franchise stands no chance to lose income without Rodgers under center... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Too bad for Aaron he has zero leverage. His cash flow would go from +$20million to -$30million for the year if he decides not to play. A $50million difference.

I would have preferred to move on as well, but it's virtually guaranteed at this point he will suit up for GB.

You're technically right. He's under contract and actually has no leverage. However, there's more to it than that. The team is not going to be anywhere near as good with him out, so you're now dealing with fans and players in the locker room that are ticked off.

If the money you list him losing is accurate ($50 million), he probably will come back and play. But what if he comes back and half-arses everything?

Different league, but similar situation. James Harden, who is a former MVP and one of the best players in the NBA, was unhappy with the Houston Rockets franchise. He wanted out and everyone knew it. To avoid fines and all that, he showed up out of shape and half-arsed everything he did on he court. Within a week or two, the Rockets were forced to trade him. Why? Because the fan base was growing irate and it had go to the point to where the fans and the players in the locker room actually wanted Harden gone.

^ Not saying Rodgers is like that, but he could definitely do something like that to avoid losing all the money, which seems to be your main point as to why Rodgers has no leverage.

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Right, because the franchise stands no chance to lose income without Rodgers under center... 

They will lose zero income.

There's like 100,000 fans on the ticket waiting list brah and teams don't make any significant money on playoff games.

I can guarantee you that there is absolutely zero consideration/concern about the Packers losing money over the Aaron Rodgers situation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, showtime said:

You're technically right. He's under contract and actually has no leverage. However, there's more to it than that. The team is not going to be anywhere near as good with him out, so you're now dealing with fans and players in the locker room that are ticked off.

If the money you list him losing is accurate ($50 million), he probably will come back and play. But what if he comes back and half-arses everything?

Different league, but similar situation. James Harden, who is a former MVP and one of the best players in the NBA, was unhappy with the Houston Rockets franchise. He wanted out and everyone knew it. To avoid fines and all that, he showed up out of shape and half-arsed everything he did on he court. Within a week or two, the Rockets were forced to trade him. Why? Because the fan base was growing irate and it had go to the point to where the fans and the players in the locker room actually wanted Harden gone.

^ Not saying Rodgers is like that, but he could definitely do something like that to avoid losing all the money, which seems to be your main point as to why Rodgers has no leverage.

It's a non-starter to argue that Rodgers would come back and tank it for three years riding the bench in GB...c'mon now.

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's a non-starter to argue that Rodgers would come back and tank it for three years riding the bench in GB...c'mon now.

Is it though? Because I could totally see a man that shrugged off cancer patient do such a thing. If it wasn't for the fact that GB would have traded him LONG before that in order to get any return on him.

Just now, Matts4313 said:

They arent going to matter. Arod is not losing any money and the effect on his pension will be negligible. 

He will literally lose out on over $50million if he decides not to play this year.

If your point is that he WILL play and therefore will not lose money, I agree.

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He will literally lose out on over $50million if he decides not to play this year.

If your point is that he WILL play and therefore will not lose money, I agree.

No, he wont lose out on any of that money. He will possibly lose out of guarantees. If GB doesnt pay that money, some team will. Rodgers isnt losing a dime in actual money that will hit his account.  

Edited by Matts4313

6 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

No, he wont lose out on any of that money. He will possibly lose out of guarantees. If GB doesnt pay that money, some team will. Rodgers isnt losing a dime in actual money that will hit his account.  

...what?

His options right now are to play for GB or to retire. GB has 100% control. It's increasingly unlikely he will be traded at this point. Regardless, he has zero control over a potential trade. The only two options he has are to play in GB or sit out and lose out on $50million REAL dollars in his bank account.

Edited by incognito_man

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

...what?

His options right now are to play for GB or to retire. GB has 100% control. It's increasingly unlikely he will be traded at this point. Regardless, he has zero control over a potential trade. The only two options he has are to play in GB or sit out and lose out on $50million REAL dollars in his bank account.

Where are you getting $50? His salary is $15m. He forfeits future guarantees, but those arent real dollars.

And even if he does sit out, he will get $15m to host jeopardy or some sports show for the offseason.

Additionally, teams never hold "all the cards" like fans think they do. Fans forget the human element. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Where are you getting $50? His salary is $15m. He forfeits future guarantees, but those arent real dollars.

And even if he does sit out, he will get $15m to host jeopardy or some sports show. 

He will have to pay back over $30million out of pocket if he doesn't play. I explained this above. He would PAY OUT over $30million instead of collecting another $20million ish.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He will have to pay back over $30million out of pocket if he doesn't play. I explained this above. He would PAY OUT over $30million instead of collecting another $20million ish.

You didnt explain anything. You just stated something as if it was fact. I am trying to verify your statements, but nothing on the internet shows that he will have to payback $30m nor that he is due anything more than the $14.7m salary. 

So I am trying to find out if you are right or just full of it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Additionally, teams never hold "all the cards" like fans think they do. Fans forget the human element.

Nobody is forgetting anything. The "human element" (whatever that is) is not significant or measurable. There is nothing about any human element that will factor into GB front office decision. In fact, they have really no decision to make at this point any longer. 

It's at a point where either Rodgers shows up and plays on GB or he quits football and loses lots of money.