Bears OTA 2

WindyCity

57 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think Fields will be the opening day starter. Too much stuff out of camp, too many quotes, to convince me otherwise. 

I dunno man... there are two things working against that:

1. Management did assure Dalton he'd be a starter, you don't want to get a reputation of being a liar as a GM, regardless of how petty it sounds.

2. First start on Sunday Night Football, week 1, against Aaron Donald and friends is not a good look with a new(ish) offensive line.

36 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think unless Fields lights it up in preseason Dalton probably gets game 1 for sure.  I think way Nagy does preseason that is unlikely. 

I think even if Fields is lights out in the preseason, you'll see Dalton start game 1 but with a shorter leash.

24 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think even if Fields is lights out in the preseason, you'll see Dalton start game 1 but with a shorter leash.

If Fields is lights out and you still start Dalton you are going to piss off some people in that locker room.

If he is lights out he will play. You will not need to coddle him by avoiding prime time games and the Rams.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If he is lights out he will play. You will not need to coddle him by avoiding prime time games and the Rams.

It may well get to the point where he is considered to be the better guy to go up against the Rams...

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

It may well get to the point where he is considered to be the better guy to go up against the Rams...

Best guy plays. No coddling. If he is ready then he is ready.

I was say… being better than Dalton isn’t enough on it’s own, but Dalton is a high enough bar that it is a really good indicator.

I think Nagy has made it pretty clear that Fields is competing with Dalton for the starters role.

The promise made to Andy Dalton was made prior to the draft when it would have been just him and Foles at QB and a possible later round developmental prospect.  At that time no one could have reasonably seen the Fields pick coming.  I still have a hard time believing it myself.

Whenever Fields shows he's clearly the better choice to start he will.  But as it stands today Dalton is the starter and Fields need to overcome that in camp and preseason if possible in order to be the week one starter.  It's not totally impossible and if it happens Dalton will understand why.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

Barring injury Dalton will start week 1. This shouldn't even be debatable because it's painfully obvious that's what's going to happen whether it's deserving or not

It was the same argument last year whether Mitch or Foles would be the starter for week 1. It was obvious Mitch would get the nod.

Now we have proof that Dalton was told he'd be the starter and yet some ppl still believe Fields will start right away 😂

Dalton can play another 5+ Years making 7 figures being the quality mentor back up.   Just like Daniel made a career of.  He takes zero hits aside from preseason.  

UNLESS he goes out in regular season and plays terrible for Nagy like Foles did and then teams are like what is the point?  Who would want him? 

It would be in his best interest to let Fields start.  Even if he plays great he still at back end of his career and no one wants him as a full time starter.  

14 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If Fields is lights out and you still start Dalton you are going to piss off some people in that locker room.

You're really not going to piss anyone off. How will Fields be lights out? Against 2nd and 3rd stringers in the pre-season? In practice against the 2s?

It's the pre-season and practice. No veteran worth his salt will get pissed off unless and until games are being lost due to an inferior player being played. That's the whole reason Glennon was benched for Trubisky.

Edited by G08

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

It would be in his best interest to let Fields start.

This makes no sense to me. It would be in Dalton's best interest to play exceptionally well and parlay that into a lucrative free agency in 2022.

8 hours ago, soulman said:

I think Nagy has made it pretty clear that Fields is competing with Dalton for the starters role.

The promise made to Andy Dalton was made prior to the draft when it would have been just him and Foles at QB and a possible later round developmental prospect.  At that time no one could have reasonably seen the Fields pick coming.  I still have a hard time believing it myself.

Whenever Fields shows he's clearly the better choice to start he will.  But as it stands today Dalton is the starter and Fields need to overcome that in camp and preseason if possible in order to be the week one starter.  It's not totally impossible and if it happens Dalton will understand why.

Well, just like my grandpappy used to say, "no one gives a **** if you break a promise to Andy Dalton"  

I would hazard a guess that the only time that enters the decision making process will be when Pace or more likely Nagy has a brief thought "Gee, will anyone in the locker room be upset that we told Andy he's the starter and now we're starting the player is clearly better? Nope? They want to win too? Everyone sees that Fields is better? OK, hey sorry Andy"

I have a totally irrational dislike of Andy Dalton as  person, so look forward to him being demoted. 

• Like 2

Here's the combined cap ramifications for both Fields and Jenkins.

Fields 2021 cap cost; $3.431 mil

Jenkins 2021 cap cost: $1.525 mil

Combined 2021 cap cost: $4.956 mil

So in round numbers roughly $5 mil of the savings from Leno's release go to signing Fields and Jenkins.

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

I have a totally irrational dislike of Andy Dalton as  person, so look forward to him being demoted. 

Just checked with Andy about that.  He said to tell you he's not overly fond of you either.  🤣🤣