Bears OTA 2

WindyCity

3 hours ago, G08 said:

This makes no sense to me. It would be in Dalton's best interest to play exceptionally well and parlay that into a lucrative free agency in 2022.

If he played awesome yes.   But he would have to play awesome for first time in his career.

After a decade or however long most people think they know what Dalton is and isn't and they are probably right.  To get another starting gig in NFL he would have to play really well in Chicago.    Fitzpatrick signing in Washington is more of an exception than a rule and he played pretty well in Miami.  

His long term outlook is back up QB.  Worst thing that can happen to a back up QB is to be exposed as being not good at all anymore by playing.

He has more to lose by playing than to gain.   People respect him now as average - which is what you want in a back up QB.   If he sat bench whole year in Chicago he could sign with any number of teams next year again.   

If it suddenly looks like he has dropped off or plays poorly in the starting role, like Foles did, it will cost him back up opportunities.  

Now does he expect himself to play bad?   No.   

But there is more to lose than to gain with playing especially with risk of injury.

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Worst thing that can happen to a back up QB is to be exposed as being not good at all anymore by playing.

I suppose... however, Chase Daniel keeps finding work and Andy Dalton has 141 more starts than him.

Andy Dalton will still have a job next season if he falls flat on his face this season (don't care to find out, though lol)

3 hours ago, G08 said:

You're really not going to piss anyone off. How will Fields be lights out? Against 2nd and 3rd stringers in the pre-season? In practice against the 2s?

It's the pre-season and practice. No veteran worth his salt will get pissed off unless and until games are being lost due to an inferior player being played. That's the whole reason Glennon was benched for Trubisky.

The players will know who the best QB is and who gives them the best chance to win.

These defensive players do not want to play a single snap more with lame QBs.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, G08 said:

I suppose... however, Chase Daniel keeps finding work and Andy Dalton has 141 more starts than him.

Andy Dalton will still have a job next season if he falls flat on his face this season (don't care to find out, though lol)

How many NFL games did Chase play before coming to Chicago?

And he played okay in spot starts here.   Just good enough to keep it rolling.  

Foles on other hand really damaged his brand last year by playing very poorly.  So did Glennon.  That is risk for Dalton.

But I don't think its very likely Dalton repeats that.  And Glennon and Foles are still working so ... maybe I am completely wrong here.   Probably.

Really just procrastinating from a ton of work to do by spouting whatever comes into my head.

45 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

So did Glennon

Mike Glennon has had a job every single season since he left Chicago, and has made 2x as much money since than he did his entire career in Tampa.

45 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

How many NFL games did Chase play before coming to Chicago?

2 career starts and a whopping 78 passing attempts total in 8 seasons 👍

There is inherent value in backup QBs with significant NFL starting experience under their belt. That's indisputable.

Edited by G08

Are we gonna keep batting this around and over thinking it every day until Fields finally starts?

I think by now Andy Dalton's rep is pretty much been established.  He lost more than he won last year but Dallas OL was devastated.  They won more with him than without him and his stats were in line with his career averages.  He hasn't been on a good team since 2015 yet he's held his own so I don't believe he's too worried about whatever may happen if he starts here.

I agree that he's probably gonna spend the rest of his career as a well paid bridge QB as he is now or a top tier #2 also getting paid very well.

Teams need two QBs and there are never enough experienced ones to go around or Mike Glenno might not have a job either.  Andy Dalton is world's better than Mike Glennon and better than Nick Foles whose done OK for himself so far.  So.....IMHO believing that one season in Chicago will outweigh ten seasons playing elsewhere and may destroy his rep is a fairy tale.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, soulman said:

Are we gonna keep batting this around and over thinking it every day until Fields finally starts?

I think by now Andy Dalton's rep is pretty much been established.  He lost more than he won last year but Dallas OL was devastated.  They won more with him than without him and his stats were in line with his career averages.  He hasn't been on a good team since 2015 yet he's held his own so I don't believe he's too worried about whatever may happen if he starts here.

I agree that he's probably gonna spend the rest of his career as a well paid bridge QB as he is now or a top tier #2 also getting paid very well.

Teams need two QBs and there are never enough experienced ones to go around or Mike Glenno might not have a job either.  Andy Dalton is world's better than Mike Glennon and better than Nick Foles whose done OK for himself so far.  So.....IMHO believing that one season in Chicago will outweigh ten seasons playing elsewhere and may destroy his rep is a fairy tale.

Yeah Dalton started bad - but that was excusable because he was rusty - from lack of reps LOL.

Then he was playing pretty good, but lost like 2 or 3 OL in one game - I remember watching it.

I think he played really bad for time after that and started playing decent again later.

• Like 1

I will say evaluating T shirt and shorts reps is way over rated.

That's not football.   All you can see is hands and athletic ability.   Which everyone in NFL has or they wouldn't be there.   

Every single year I coached there were like 4 or 5 T shirt all stars that couldn't play with live hitting and 4 or 5 kids that looked bad in T shirts that were really good.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yeah Dalton started bad - but that was excusable because he was rusty - from lack of reps LOL.

Then he was playing pretty good, but lost like 2 or 3 OL in one game - I remember watching it.

I think he played really bad for time after that and started playing decent again later.

So....pretty much in line with how he's always played.

We should probably keep in mind that Dalton was not a top ten draftee but rather a second round pick so he's probably exceeded expectations so far.

Based on availability I figure we'd sign either Fitzpatrick or Dalton.  Fitzy went with Washington so we signed Dalton as an upgrade over Foles.  Now we have a shiny new QB in the garage and we can't wait to take him out for a spin.

I get it but Daddy Nagy and Uncle Pace say we can't drive the new buggy just yet so if you want to use the car tonight you have to take the 2011 Dalton 4 Door Sedan.  😆

It's frustrating I know but so were all those years I spent paying child support and yet I survived.  We will too. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yes.  We will talk about every throw in camp.  Probably why they aren't showing any.

I know and I don't get it.  Why no visuals to go along with Nagy raving about Fields intangibles and his deep ball accuracy?

It's like your buddy went to a strip club and has no pics or videos but loves to sit and talk about what he saw.

29 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I will say evaluating T shirt and shorts reps is way over rated.

That's not football.   All you can see is hands and athletic ability.   Which everyone in NFL has or they wouldn't be there.   

Every single year I coached there were like 4 or 5 T shirt all stars that couldn't play with live hitting and 4 or 5 kids that looked bad in T shirts that were really good.

That's probably why the more savvy media type say stats in OTAs mean zilch.

It's like watching a home being built and all that happening now is their pouring the foundation and getting ready to frame it

I think you signed Dalton becAuse he provides a much higher bar to get over than Mike Glennon.

Glennon was so bad that a bad Trubisky was better.

That shouldn’t be the case with Dalton. If Fields is better than Dalton then that is a pretty good indicator that he is ready.

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think you signed Dalton becAuse he provides a much higher bar to get over than Mike Glennon.

Glennon was so bad that a bad Trubisky was better.

That shouldn’t be the case with Dalton. If Fields is better than Dalton then that is a pretty good indicator that he is ready.

Although your theory is in line...the Bears didn't know they'd be getting Justin Fields when they signed Dalton. In fact they probably thought it was a longshot

They signed Dalton because they were desperate for someone decent with lots of starting experience

So yes while the bar is higher with Dalton vs a Glennon/Foles type I don't think they anticipated a rookie pushing him for the job right away...hence all the starter talk

I still firmly believe regardless of how Fields looks in TC.. Dalton will be given the chance to start the season, albeit on a very very short leash

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Dalton will be given the chance to start the season, albeit on a very very short leash

Barring injury, I would say Dalton will start week 1 regardless of what transpires in TC and Preseason.