Bears OTA 2

WindyCity

Just 3 days of practice this week and then nothing for a like a month and half.

Then training camp which is where most teams really go to work for first time.  Football at every level is really a lot about how efficiently you use time allotted with players.   Coaches who do it best have a significant competitive advantage. 

A guy like P. Manning or T. Brady who goes extra mile with himself and teammates and does so in an intelligent manner on their own time really gives you a boost.  Like having another coach that isn't beholden to practice time limit rules.   

I wonder how much goes on with young players and new players with coaches during that down time?

If I was rookie or 1 year veteran I would be calling my position coaches or coordinator with questions and staying in regular contact whole time rules or no rules.  I bet for a lot of guys that can be difference between roster, PS and being cut.   

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

We clearly have enough Leno film for that.

Could break out all the Webb/Omiyale footage and just smack a label on the dvd.

How did we ever manage to have two of the most worthless LT's in NFL history?

Leno was like an Orland Pace in his prime compared to those two.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, soulman said:

How did we ever manage to have two of the most worthless LT's in NFL history?

Leno was like an Orland Pace in his prime compared to those two.

Don't forget first round picks of Gabe Carimi, Chris Williams, Marc Columbo and Stan Thomas.

Though I think Columbo had a few decent years in Dallas after he left Chicago.

• Like 2

Word out of the OTAs is the receivers (Byrd, Goodwin, and Mooney) have looked very good as well as Kmet.  They're moving him around more.

Mustipher went out and added some bulk and strength and looks like Daniels did last year when he returned.  He wants that starting OC job.

Trevis Gipson has also shined himself up looking bigger and more toned.

Wow speaking of Bears first round picks - you guys think Pace is bad?

Look at this stretch of draft moves:

1997 No pick (traded to Seattle for Rick Mirer) [t]
1998 5 Curtis Enis HB Penn State  
1999 12 Cade McNown QB UCLA [u]
2000 9 Brian Urlacher ^ LB/S New Mexico  
2001 8 David Terrell WR Michigan  
2002 29 Marc Colombo OT Boston College  
2003 14 Michael Haynes DE Penn State [v]
22 Rex Grossman QB Florida [v]

In 7 years we got an ILB and one below average QB in 3 tries.     

A really good ILB, but just an ILB to show for all that time.

In Pace 7 years we got:

2015 7 Kevin White WR West Virginia  
2016 9 Leonard Floyd LB Georgia  
2017 2 Mitchell Trubisky  QB North Carolina  
2018 8 Roquan Smith LB Georgia  
2019 No pick (traded to Oakland for Khalil Mack)  
2021 11 Justin Fields

A good ILB and an okay OLB.

If Fields turns out to be good it will look a lot better.  

Best 7 year stretch is:

1978 No pick [p]
1979 4 Dan Hampton ^ DT Arkansas [q]
9 Al Harris DE Arizona State  
1980 19 Otis Wilson  LB Louisville  
1981 11 Keith Van Horne OT Southern California  
1982 5 Jim McMahon  QB Brigham Young  
1983 6 Jim Covert ^ OT Pittsburgh  
18 Willie Gault WR Tennessee [r]
1984 11 Wilber Marshall  LB Florida  
1985 22 William Perry DT Clemson

Note William Perry was awesome his rookie year.   Terrible depression, mental illness and poor eating ruined his career after that.  

Best single first round Bears ever had is obviously Butkus and Sayers.  That will be tough to ever top.  Especially given way game was played then.   Even with those guys Bears mostly sucked then.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Don't forget first round picks of Gabe Carimi, Chris Williams, Marc Columbo and Stan Thomas.

Though I think Columbo had a few decent years in Dallas after he left Chicago.

I'm giving Carimi, CWill, and Columbo passes due to injury plus Carmi and Columbo never should have been seen as LTs.  CWill was another mistake by the lake by JA caused by either refusing to trade up for Ryan Clady or draft Branden Albert instead.  Pace hasn't made those same kind of mistakes with OL so far.

But Stan Thomas is certain welcome to join the JWebb/OMG Club.  Using his name and LT in the same sentence is almost blasphemy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Wow speaking of Bears first round picks - you guys think Pace is bad?

Look at this stretch of draft moves:

1997 No pick (traded to Seattle for Rick Mirer) [t]
1998 5 Curtis Enis HB Penn State  
1999 12 Cade McNown QB UCLA [u]
2000 9 Brian Urlacher ^ LB/S New Mexico  
2001 8 David Terrell WR Michigan  
2002 29 Marc Colombo OT Boston College  
2003 14 Michael Haynes DE Penn State [v]
22 Rex Grossman QB Florida [v]

Enis and Colombo failed due to injuries although Colombo did finally make it back playing in Dallas but that was like living in hell as the Mikey McCaskey run Bears plunged deeper and deeper into the pit.

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

In Pace 7 years we got:

2015 7 Kevin White WR West Virginia  
2016 9 Leonard Floyd LB Georgia  
2017 2 Mitchell Trubisky  QB North Carolina  
2018 8 Roquan Smith LB Georgia  
2019 No pick (traded to Oakland for Khalil Mack)  
2021 11 Justin Fields

I'll cut Pace some slack over KW.  Everyone expected Amari Cooper to fall but he goes 4th and Scherff and Williams fall next.  Pace was a rookie GM with an inherited scouting staff and a lousy Plan B.  Unfortunately he didn't learn his lesson about over rating pass catchers at WR and TE.  But IMHO from 2018 on, including the trade for Mack, he's been scoring well.

19 minutes ago, soulman said:

Enis and Colombo failed due to injuries although Colombo did finally make it back playing in Dallas but that was like living in hell as the Mikey McCaskey run Bears plunged deeper and deeper into the pit.

I'll cut Pace some slack over KW.  Everyone expected Amari Cooper to fall but he goes 4th and Scherff and Williams fall next.  Pace was a rookie GM with an inherited scouting staff and a lousy Plan B.  Unfortunately he didn't learn his lesson about over rating pass catchers at WR and TE.  But IMHO from 2018 on, including the trade for Mack, he's been scoring well.

Enis was a head case.  His own coach even said so - Paterno.   Coaches never say anything publicly because it can hurt recruiting.  When that happens it is extreme head case.

That is poor scouting and a poor pick IMO.  Never take a player a coach doesn't like.  Especially a legendary coach like Paterno.  Huge red flag.   Plus even then RBs were more of a factor of OL and you needed a guy to be able to catch ball.   Enis was a straight line mauler with speed.  A second or third round pick as a great athlete.   

KW was a traits pick.  6'3 plus 4.3.  He probably wasn't going to be very good even if he stayed healthy.   

I was in favor of move at time, but in hindsight and after that I don't want traits picks in top 15 for WRs.    I want complete package plug and play guy.  But Cooper was that guy and he struggled as a rookie too.  With drops anyway.  

Cooper is really good now though - although he is a bit of a head case himself it seems at times.  At his best Cooper is one of best WR in league IMO.  

• Like 1

If I recall Michael Haynes got drafted primarily off a really good senior bowl game.  

Bloody Bears.  I remember being pissed about that pick.   

I honestly though David Terrell was going to be good.   I like to think I have gotten better at evaluating WRs in last 4 years or so.  

I was pretty bad.  I liked Terrell and White picks at time I admit.  I thought both were going to be good.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Enis was a head case. 

That too and so was Rashaan Salaam but more the "head shop" type. 

But what did you expect when "Mikey" was playing the wannabe GM?

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

KW was a traits pick.  6'3 plus 4.3.  He probably wasn't going to be very good even if he stayed healthy.   

IMHO "traits picks" may be fine in later rounds but top ten picks shouldn't be the "one trick" pony type White was I don't care how big or fast they are.  That was not an exceptional draft for WR anyway but Fox's house cleaning cost us Marshall so I'd venture to call it a needs based pick we should not have had to make.

Sitting here today it's almost hard to fathom just how much damage that 5 year period of Emery/Trestman followed by Fox and a raw rookie GM did.  We're still paying the price for it and for Ted Phillips idiocy hiring Emery and then both Phillips and GMC for buying into Fox and foisting him off on Pace. What an f'n nightmare.