3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Oh, good lord. Gibberish on top of hogwash. 

Fields CAN'T win the job, no matter what? Pure bull****. 

Because Andy Reid/Mahomes, I guess. 

What a complete moron. I mean...we can't escape it anymore, can we? Who the the hell comes out and says that there is no way Fields will show better than Dalton?

It's idiocy. They may want to pretend it's a KC situation...but it ain't. 

My apologies, @dll2000...it does appear Nagy has lost what little sense he has left. 

It's unfortunate. But maybe it means the Nagy era will end soon. Which, given everything, is probably good. 

Relax. It’s probably out of context or Nagy isn’t a precise speaker. For example, what if Dalton dies tomorrow, or gets his lung punctured by a team doctor? That’s literally one scenario where Fields would start. HOPEFULLY, the way fields starts over Dalton is that he is demonstrably far and away better than Dalton in the preseason.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

He was an unexcused absence.

You have to prepare for him not to be around. This is unreliable behaviour after missing an entire season.

I am sure they are preparing for it Halas Hall.

Yes, he's an unexcused absence but there has to be a reason for it.  I want to know why.

Let's get some answers before going off the rails.

8 hours ago, malak1 said:

*in camp* is probably the operative phase here. But what about in preseason play?

No.  Nagy was plain.  Dalton is starter for foreseeable future and Fields is future.  

He was even more plain in an interview with Collinsworth.

Edited by dll2000
8 hours ago, malak1 said:

Relax. It’s probably out of context or Nagy isn’t a precise speaker. For example, what if Dalton dies tomorrow, or gets his lung punctured by a team doctor? That’s literally one scenario where Fields would start. HOPEFULLY, the way fields starts over Dalton is that he is demonstrably far and away better than Dalton in the preseason.

Okay, if Dalton dies than Fields will be starter.

Nagy can’t be any more plain.  Dalton is the starter.   

Fields is not going to play early in regular season.  

The stated hope is he doesn’t play for a long while because Dalton is winning games.   

Nagy wants to follow the Mahomes KC blueprint as best he can.

I've been saying this for a while so I'll just give the bullet points:

• Justin Fields is a work in progress. Ryan Day said as much when he was coaching him at Ohio State
  • Andy Dalton is a seasoned veteran who, in my opinion, should get the first crack at the starting job
  • He has seen most -- if not every -- coverage in football and knows how to adjust accordingly
  • He knows how to prepare as a starter, how to watch tape, and how to take care of his body
  • Justin Fields can learn from this and learn even more from watching how Dalton executes this offense
    • "Why did you make this read"?
    • "I liked the vertical here on the dagger concept, why did you throw the dig?"
    • "How did you know a blitz was coming and to slide protection that way?"

Let the kid develop the mental side of the game before we throw him out there against the likes of Aaron Donald, etc.

I've been waiting for a franchise QB my entire ******* life... I can wait another 6-8 weeks (or longer if Dalton is playing well and we are winning).

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I've been saying this for a while so I'll just give the bullet points:

• Justin Fields is a work in progress. Ryan Day said as much when he was coaching him at Ohio State
  • Andy Dalton is a seasoned veteran who, in my opinion, should get the first crack at the starting job
  • He has seen most -- if not every -- coverage in football and knows how to adjust accordingly
  • He knows how to prepare as a starter, how to watch tape, and how to take care of his body
  • Justin Fields can learn from this and learn even more from watching how Dalton executes this offense
    • "Why did you make this read"?
    • "I liked the vertical here on the dagger concept, why did you throw the dig?"
    • "How did you know a blitz was coming and to slide protection that way?"

Let the kid develop the mental side of the game before we throw him out there against the likes of Aaron Donald, etc.

I've been waiting for a franchise QB my entire ******* life... I can wait another 6-8 weeks (or longer if Dalton is playing well and we are winning).

And if we aren't winning then you want Justin Fields to play?

If it is best he sits he should sit regardless if we are winning or losing.   Why would that change anything?  If Dalton starts 1-4 or something Bears aren't going to rally to a deep playoff run with a rookie QB.  Might as well keep sitting him if that is best way to develop him.

I just don't agree with sitting as best development plan.  I feel like it is a much slower road to learning.  May be safer, but slower.   

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

And if we aren't winning then you want Justin Fields to play?

If we aren't winning and we think Fields gives us a better chance? Absolutely I would want him to play, 100%.

If it is best he sits he should sit regardless if we are winning or losing.   Why would that change anything?

The two are not mutually exclusive; I'm not sure why you are trying to act like they are -- to be argumentative?

I just don't agree with sitting as best development plan.

I disagree here... you allow for their mental side to catch up to their physical side. I would much rather a rookie QB feel comfortable before I throw him to the wolves.

Quarterbacks have come out and said how sitting helped them -- why would that just be ignored here?

That's just me... I've also been scarred by this organization's 60+ years of trying to find a franchise QB.

Edited by G08
3 minutes ago, G08 said:

The two are not mutually exclusive; I'm not sure why you are trying to act like they are -- to be argumentative?

Sometimes I do that for kicks and giggles.  But not here.

You are saying you have waited forever for a franchise QB and can wait a little longer.  That was you right?  I apologize if it wasn't. 

That implies to me that your position is the development of Fields vis a vie playing behind Dalton supersedes winning games now.  

But you are telling me that player that gives us best chance to win should be one to play, correct?  Whether that is Fields or Dalton.  

If that is your position then you disagree with Nagy.  Because Nagy says Dalton plays until he deems Fields is ready to play in NFL - and he also said or strongly insinuated that  he wants to follow Mahomes plan - which was a full year.   And Nagy says Fields cannot win job at this time.

---

My position is development of Fields supersedes winning now.  Even if Dalton gives us better chance to win, but I don't believe Dalton gives us a better chance to win for this season.   

I just believe, with evidence, that getting starter reps is better for Fields development.

For those interested in drawing conclusions based on data, here are the 1st round QBs drafted since 2015:

V5QU78v.png

Here are my conclusions:

1. Higher picks play earlier
  2. Most 1st round QBs are playing early
  3. There's very little evidence to support starting or sitting a young QB
  4. There is an obvious financial drawback to sitting your QB for an entire year of his rookie deal

I've used the data to model out what a rookie year could look like for Justin Fields:

Year Rd Pick Team Player GP (College) QBR (College) GS
(Year 1)
1st Start
(Year 1)
ANY/A
(Year 1)
QBR
(Year 1)
2021 1 11 CHI FIELDS, JUSTIN 34 178.8 9 6 6.8 86.8

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Sometimes I do that for kicks and giggles.  But not here.

You are saying you have waited forever for a franchise QB and can wait a little longer.  That was you right?  I apologize if it wasn't. 

That implies to me that your position is the development of Fields vis a vie playing behind Dalton supersedes winning games now.  

But you are telling me that player that gives us best chance to win should be one to play, correct?  Whether that is Fields or Dalton.  

If that is your position then you disagree with Nagy.  Because Nagy says Dalton plays until he deems Fields is ready to play in NFL - and he also said or strongly insinuated that  he wants to follow Mahomes plan - which was a full year.   And Nagy says Fields cannot win job at this time.

---

My position is development of Fields supersedes winning now.  Even if Dalton gives us better chance to win, but I don't believe Dalton gives us a better chance to win for this season.   

I just believe, with evidence, that getting starter reps is better for Fields development.

Yes that was me. I see zero harm whatsoever in bringing him along "slowly", so if that means I see him week 11 instead of week 1, so be it.

No, there is no sacrificing wins for development with my approach. If Dalton is ****ting the bed -- he gets 3 poor games from me before he gets benched -- then it's time for Nagy to make a decision.

I just don't think that is going to happen, I will be actively rooting for Dalton to play well.

9 hours ago, soulman said:

Yes, he's an unexcused absence but there has to be a reason for it.  I want to know why.

Let's get some answers before going off the rails.

What answer would make you feel okay about it?

Pretty much anything reasonable likely would have gotten him excused. They are worried about it, it will have been 600 days at that point since they saw him on a field.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

What answer would make you feel okay about it?

Pretty much anything reasonable likely would have gotten him excused. They are worried about it, it will have been 600 days at that point since they saw him on a field.

I read somewhere he has asthma and with COVID-19 primarily attacking the lungs, he may be concerned.

Simple solution: get the ******* vaccine.