Hicks trade smoke is back

WindyCity

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

We better develop a new engine this season… pretty low chance Hicks is back next season.

My hope is Nichols continues his ascent.

I'm sure that is the hope and then we will likely target a 5T in FA or the draft.

14 hours ago, G08 said:

Hicks is the engine that makes our defense go, it sucks to lose Fuller but if it means keeping Hicks I am fine with it.

Hell, maybe we can bring Fuller back next season if someone doesn't ascend to CB2 this season.

Hicks is more important to the defense by position, player, and as a leader.... but that's only going to last 1 more year. Fuller is still in his prime.

If they had kept Fuller and released Hicks then yeah the locker room falls apart and you lose a good player. But then you only have one important position to fill on defense next year instead of a possible two.

I understand Fuller was a cap casualty but releasing him outright and come away with nothing in return for him was a huge mistake. Especially when they had teams interested in trading for him including the Broncos. 

I highly doubt Fuller will ever play for the Bears again after how disrespectful they've treated him.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Smaller than I like to see as a 5T...

Edwards isn't the answer. Nichols would be our best option, but he doesn't have the capabilities to play outside. He's good at muscling the OL but doesn't have the feet or enough moves in his repertoire to be play outside and be effective.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, G08 said:

Smaller than I like to see as a 5T...

We only have a 5T on the field 30% of snaps.

Edwards is very capable of playing the 3 technique. There is a reason they brought him back for 3 years and real money.

We need a big body to play 5T, Hicks primary snaps will likely be taken by Edwards.

57 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We only have a 5T on the field 30% of snaps.

Edwards is very capable of playing the 3 technique. There is a reason they brought him back for 3 years and real money.

We need a big body to play 5T, Hicks primary snaps will likely be taken by Edwards.

i didn't realize/remember we signed him for 3 years - when i went to look i was also reminded that he's suspended the first 2 games of the season. that should allow us to keep essentially 54 players at final cuts and see what we have in the back 2-3 players before making an ultimate final decision

The Bears are going to pay Nichols, let Hicks walk, and move forward with Goldman and Nichols as the focal point of the DL.

If Goldman retires, perhaps some of that money is going to be moved around.

But they have a ton invested in the line already.

17 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I understand Fuller was a cap casualty but releasing him outright and come away with nothing in return for him was a huge mistake. Especially when they had teams interested in trading for him including the Broncos. 

Pace tried to trade Fuller, it didn't work out. We don't know why. We may never know. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Pace tried to trade Fuller, it didn't work out. We don't know why. We may never know. 

If teams were interested he would have been traded.

Teams new that the Bears had to release him and I am sure that Fuller made it known he wanted to go to Denver.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

because he was due $20M and everybody probably knew that we were going to cut him, thereby they could get him without giving up any assets

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 1:42 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm not going fishing either. I don't need too. You're a frequent poster and never seemed to have a problem with him while he was here either otherwise you would've said atleast something about it over the last 2 years but you probably didn't, right?. Which means you were okay with Fuller being our #1 CB. But now that he's gone...now you wanna act as if he's been overrated. Cmon now. Even though, again, I've never seen anyone claim he's a top-5 corner.

You seem to be overrating Gilmore and underrating Fuller. Just like most fans tend to do with former players.

I can be both fine with Fuller having been our #1 CB the past 3 years and think he’s overrated by Bears fans. Those two things are not mutually exclusive. I’m not saying he’s bad. I don’t have and haven’t had a problem with Fuller at all - he’s a good player, and I would prefer he was still on our roster. I’m only saying that he’s not the irreplaceable part many are making him out to be right now. Whether or not we’ve adequately replaced him remains to be seen and isn’t at all my point.

• Like 1