MVP leaders at this point.

resilient part 2

Alex Smith and Tom Brady obviously. 

I could see a RB winning it though depending on how the season plays out. 

I'm gonna say Alex Smith reverts back to the mean at some point though, No way he actually plays like a top 2 QB for a full season. 

Got to imagine it's between Smith, Brady and Wentz atm, as the QBs of the 3 teams with the best records. They're all playing well, but I reckon the order would certainly be Smith>Brady> Wentz currently. Brady has more passing yards/game than Smith, but loses out in pretty much every other stat. Will be interesting to see if Smith can keep it up for the whole season.

If it ends up really close, I could imagine it going to Brady based on narrative (only QB over 40 etc etc), but a lot will likely depend on record and obviously ongoing quality of play. Would love for a 40yo Brady to win it.

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

Gotta throw in there Todd Gurley. 

Doesn't lead the league in yards, TDs, yards from scrimmage or really anything. He seems to have been playing well, but hasn't really done anything to put himself in the conversation from what I can see. I could be wrong, but it seems as though anybody who is not a QB needs a record breaking season or thereabouts to get into the conversation, and Gurley isn't having one yet that I know of.

3 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

He has a worse completion percentage than Cam Newton. That's not MVP level play to me. 

I'm kidding Eagles fans, Newton>Wentz by a massive margin. 

So......??

Wentz is also averaging roughly 2 more yards / air attempt than Cam, while throwing it over 100 times more as well in 6 games so far.  Wentz has 13/3..Cam 9/8. 

(Btw I didn't even include Newtons stats after today's game lol)

Wentz, just as I've heard Steve Young,  Bradshaw, Jaws, and a bunch of other former great QBs say, being so successful in 3rd and long situations is a sign of how great he is becoming. Not a surprise he's 1st and Brady/Rodgers(respec) were 2 and 3 coming into this weekend. 

He's leading the league's best offense, on the team with the best record (even if we lose to Wash knock on wood), putting up elite stats while also making huge plays.

At this point there's , almost no valid argument for putting anyone but Wentz at 1. 

18 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

So......??

Wentz is also averaging roughly 2 more yards / air attempt than Cam, while throwing it over 100 times more as well in 6 games so far.  Wentz has 13/3..Cam 9/8. 

Wentz, just as I've heard Steve Young,  Bradshaw, Jaws, and a bunch of other former great QBs say, being so successful in 3rd and long situations is a sign of how great he is becoming. Not a surprise he's 1st and Brady/Rodgers(respec) were 2 and 3 coming into this weekend. 

He's leading the league's best offense, on the team with the best record (even if we lose to Wash knock on wood), putting up elite stats while also making huge plays.

At this point there's , almost no valid argument for putting anyone but Wentz at 1. 

he just doesn't realize that throwing little outlet routes to christian mccaffrey that go no where makes qbs completion percentages look good while the offense is hot garbage. 

4 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

How about 72% completion vs 61%, 283 yards/game vs 264, 8.7 yards/attempt vs 7.7, 0 interceptions vs 3 interceptions, 0 fumbles vs 3 fumbles (1 lost), QBR of 120.5 vs 99.6, 29.6ppg vs 27.5. The records are 5-2 vs 5-1. Equal in TDs at 2.1/game. This comparison is of course with Alex Smith. Wentz does lead in 3rd down % at 50.6%, but Smith and the Chiefs are no slouches at 45.6%. Smith has had a tougher schedule too, if I read the SoS correctly. He also has a head to head win vs Wentz.

I think Wentz is playing well, but there are plenty of arguments for others over him.

1 hour ago, BAConrad said:

So......??

By what standard, exactly, is Philadelphia's offense the best in the NFL? The Rams lead in scoring. The Pats in yards. The Chiefs in yards per play. The Chiefs in DVOA. The Eagles aren't even top 5 in scoring or in yards per play (barely in DVOA and yards per game.)

As an individual, he really doesn't stand out statistically either. 8th in yards per game. 7th in yards per attempt. 7th in QB rating. 25th or so in completion percentage.

The only conceivable argument Wentz has over Smith or Brady is record, but pending the result of tomorrow night's game, he could be tied with both in that regard, with Smith winning the head to head matchup too. Even if Philly does win tomorrow night, that one win over Brady/Smith is not going to offset him being substantially less statistically productive and efficient, and it's pretty easy to argue that Philly's defense performing better than either KC's or New England's is the difference maker there. Not to mention KC's strength of schedule so far.

Only addressing Smith as I don't believe Brady belongs with Wentz or Smith yet.

I admit I dismissed Smith much too quickly. But why? Because he has another guy who is being talked about as an MVP candidate, all while also setting NFL records, behind him at running back.

I mean if you want to bring up defenses (which btw ours is the 14th overall..not as good as it should be thanks to our gruesome pass defense) why can't I mention that Smith happens to have the best running back atm alongside Gurley (and the #2 rushing offense total)? Or the best TE in football? Or that he's doing it under a HC KNOWN to squeeze the most possible talent out of a quarterback like it was the last tube of toothpaste?

*Note: it'll be funny if anyone tries to say Doug's a great HC because any of us Eagles fans will instantly kno you're talking out of your behind. Only we know the true greatness of DP

Archived