MVP leaders at this point.

resilient part 2

So realistically, what does it take for Antonio Brown to win MVP?

I'm seeing a lot of talk about it from fans and even quite a bit from writers for ESPN and the like as him being in serious contention right now.

People are jumping on the hype train which might help, and I think he may end up getting some votes, but what will it take to push him over the edge?

steelers next two games being nationally televised should help brown... if he goes off against the pats(steelers need to win tho) and has another big game on Christmas with the nation watching + brady numbers have to be average the next 3 weeks... brown might get a legit look for MVP

59 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

I'm seeing a lot of talk about it from fans and even quite a bit from writers for ESPN and the like as him being in serious contention right now.

People are jumping on the hype train which might help, and I think he may end up getting some votes, but what will it take to push him over the edge?

Hitting 2k I think is almost a requirement. Difficult, not impossible. Two big nationally televised games will help. This could play out very similar to Peterson's MVP run in 2012. He basically had 3 200 yard games in his final 5 (one was 199 yards in truth, but whatever, close enough), 4 of his final 5 were 150+,  had the huge regular season finale which I believe was nationally televised against Green Bay. It'll take a lot, but I'm not completely removing the possibility that he can do enough to get there. I think the problem for Brown is that he has Bell / Big Ben...Peterson was basically a one man offense in 2012. 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Hitting 2k I think is almost a requirement. Difficult, not impossible. Two big nationally televised games will help. This could play out very similar to Peterson's MVP run in 2012. He basically had 3 200 yard games in his final 5 (one was 199 yards in truth, but whatever, close enough), 4 of his final 5 were 150+,  had the huge regular season finale which I believe was nationally televised against Green Bay. It'll take a lot, but I'm not completely removing the possibility that he can do enough to get there. I think the problem for Brown is that he has Bell / Big Ben...Peterson was basically a one man offense in 2012. 

Yeah I agree with this, he has to play at the highest level of his career for three straight games for him to win MVP this year. He is only getting hyped because the other MVP candidates have fallen off(Wilson) or gotten hurt(Wentz). The media needs there to be a storyline that isn't, "Brady win MVP again...". It is the same reason Wentz was the front runner for the race for so long, they don't want Brady to win MVP because that isn't an exciting news story.

29 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Yeah I agree with this, he has to play at the highest level of his career for three straight games for him to win MVP this year. He is only getting hyped because the other MVP candidates have fallen off(Wilson) or gotten hurt(Wentz). The media needs there to be a storyline that isn't, "Brady win MVP again...". It is the same reason Wentz was the front runner for the race for so long, they don't want Brady to win MVP because that isn't an exciting news story.

I like Peyton was handed the MVP for showing up 3 times but Brady has fatigue that's making everyone look for someone else. This isn't Jordan or Lebron where they could win the thing every year. This would be his third in 17 seasons  and 7 years since his last one. 

37 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I like Peyton was handed the MVP for showing up 3 times but Brady has fatigue that's making everyone look for someone else. This isn't Jordan or Lebron where they could win the thing every year. This would be his third in 17 seasons  and 7 years since his last one. 

The bottom line is Brady has won everything and has continued to do so for so long there isn't any storylines left to write about it. Brady deserves to be MVP and he probably will be, but the media makes money off having people be interested. There isn't going to be many people interested in Brady winning MVP. A second year QB playing on the team with the best record in football would have been a much more sexy MVP choice for the media as it would have opened up a ton of different story lines.

11 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The bottom line is Brady has won everything and has continued to do so for so long there isn't any storylines left to write about it. Brady deserves to be MVP and he probably will be, but the media makes money off having people be interested. There isn't going to be many people interested in Brady winning MVP. A second year QB playing on the team with the best record in football would have been a much more sexy MVP choice for the media as it would have opened up a ton of different story lines.

There's nothing interesting about a 40 year old QB winning a third MVP a feat only accomplished by two other players in the history of the league this league? That vs "this guys new".

12 minutes ago, lancerman said:

There's nothing interesting about a 40 year old QB winning a third MVP a feat only accomplished by two other players in the history of the league this league? That vs "this guys new".

To the rest of the league absolutely not. You are a Pats fan so I get why this isn't the case for you, but the rest of the league is tired of the Pats constantly winning everything. A lot of my friends hate the Pats, not because they are a fan of a rival team, but because they win so often it makes people envious and bored. Obviously this is more of the case with the casual fan, but that is exactly who the media is trying to pander to.

MVP doesn't always go to the person who deserves the award. We have seen that many times over.

4 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

To the rest of the league absolutely not. You are a Pats fan so I get why this isn't the case for you, but the rest of the league is tired of the Pats constantly winning everything. A lot of my friends hate the Pats, not because they are a fan of a rival team, but because they win so often it makes people envious and bored. Obviously this is more of the case with the casual fan, but that is exactly who the media is trying to pander to.

MVP doesn't always go to the person who deserves the award. We have seen that many times over.

That's fine but if we are acknowledging the most deserving didn't get the award, it's just really a meaningless resume line for someone else. 

3 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

If I had a vote, I'd strongly consider Brown. The numbers are stupifyingly good, he's doing it against double and triple coverage, and he's making huge plays with the game on the line.

Brady is Brady is Brady is Brady, but AB absolutely deserves mention (and is pretty much the unquestioned OPOY).

Just now, lancerman said:

That's fine but if we are acknowledging the most deserving didn't get the award, it's just really a meaningless resume line for someone else. 

Yeah, I think we have acknowledged that before. The true "MVP" doesn't always get the award. If Wentz had beat out Brady for MVP does that mean he is the best QB in the NFL? No. Does it even mean he was actually more "valuable" than Brady? Not really.

The whole award is pretty silly in the first place, it should just be renamed to Best QB or Most Valuable QB.

3 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Yeah, I think we have acknowledged that before. The true "MVP" doesn't always get the award. If Wentz had beat out Brady for MVP does that mean he is the best QB in the NFL? No. Does it even mean he was actually more "valuable" than Brady? Not really.

The whole award is pretty silly in the first place, it should just be renamed to Best QB or Most Valuable QB.

I only really care because Brady was basically second in line for it imo the last 3 years and Rodgers, Newton, and Ryan had up seasons that ended up taking the award. 

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

If I had a vote, I'd strongly consider Brown. The numbers are stupifyingly good, he's doing it against double and triple coverage, and he's making huge plays with the game on the line.

Brady is Brady is Brady is Brady, but AB absolutely deserves mention (and is pretty much the unquestioned OPOY).

Not against Baltimore he wasn't :D Who was that guy??

Archived