MVP leaders at this point.

resilient part 2

2 hours ago, biggbrd said:

Doesn't lead the league in yards, TDs, yards from scrimmage or really anything. He seems to have been playing well, but hasn't really done anything to put himself in the conversation from what I can see. I could be wrong, but it seems as though anybody who is not a QB needs a record breaking season or thereabouts to get into the conversation, and Gurley isn't having one yet that I know of.

He is top 4 in rushing yards. Has over 100 total yards from scrimmage in every game except two (which is top 3 in the NFL) and he does lead in total tds from scrimmage for non-QBs.

Ill also add the eye test. The two national games the Rams played in (TNF at San Fran and on Fox at Dallas) where everyone was watching, Gurley had his best games in wins. The London game was another game people paid attention to just because of he location and he had another impressive showing which included doing something no running back has done in 19 tries and that rush for over 100yds against the Cards. The Rams also won that game. So his success, the team success, people are talking about him and the Rams. He is definitely in the MVP conversation.

2 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

You know you're right. how the heck didn't sam bradford win last year with his great completion percentage? A real tragedy there. 

Agreed. Bradford was underrated and overrated somehow last season, that record for completion % though is a total sham though.

2 hours ago, BAConrad said:

So......??

Wentz is also averaging roughly 2 more yards / air attempt than Cam, while throwing it over 100 times more as well in 6 games so far.  Wentz has 13/3..Cam 9/8. 

(Btw I didn't even include Newtons stats after today's game lol)

Wentz, just as I've heard Steve Young,  Bradshaw, Jaws, and a bunch of other former great QBs say, being so successful in 3rd and long situations is a sign of how great he is becoming. Not a surprise he's 1st and Brady/Rodgers(respec) were 2 and 3 coming into this weekend. 

He's leading the league's best offense, on the team with the best record (even if we lose to Wash knock on wood), putting up elite stats while also making huge plays.

At this point there's , almost no valid argument for putting anyone but Wentz at 1. 

Obviously Wentz is playing better than cam right now. But Wentz isn't even close to being the MVP frontrunner. Smith>Brady in that order. Brady will probably win in the end cause he's way more likely to not have his play fall off a cliff like the other questionable MVP Candiates.

2 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

he just doesn't realize that throwing little outlet routes to christian mccaffrey that go no where makes qbs completion percentages look good while the offense is hot garbage. 

Cam took a page out of Sam Bradford's book I see. 

Wentz; 3rd downs, extending plays, ace under pressure (finally sorted that out) 

Smith; efficient, added deep passing, running that offense like a boss 

Brady; still putting up great numbers, most yards through air as well as all purpose, is the reason we aren't 2-5 

In that order, for me. 

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Wentz; 3rd downs, extending plays, ace under pressure (finally sorted that out) 

Smith; efficient, added deep passing, running that offense like a boss 

Brady; still putting up great numbers, most yards through air as well as all purpose, is the reason we aren't 2-5 

In that order, for me. 

I agree with the order for sure.

Definitely missing a huge part of Wentz's game that he has developed and been elite in regards to it: reading defenses pre-snap and adjusting. He reminds me of Peyton out there behind center or in shotgun, recognizing blitzes or single coverages or basically any mismatch...Moving his guys around in the formation or calling out to them. His football IQ just seems so beyond any under-25 year old quarterback Ive seen in my lifetime. 

Everyone loved to focus on his physical positives pre draft. Though, to be fair (and I include myself), not many people had seen actual games of his at NDSU. He's got a Big Build, prototypical 6'5 230 lb man who is going to make pass rushers jobs hell. Pegged as a big mobile QB with a big arm, but extremely raw. 

Only he wasn't that raw. 22 games in, he's proven that. There's a reason that even rival scouts GMs and coaches heap praise on him. Jay Gruden just said that Carson's the best young QB in the game (never heard Doug say that about Kirk or Dak or anyone). Patrick Peterson and Bruce Arians kept gushing about him even after that beat down they got from him. 

/rant about Carson. Sorry he's just so damn dreamy I find myself sometimes just writing his name on my desk at work.....Anyway

What I'm saying is his football IQ is off the charts. Sure, when things break down he's a master of making something out of nothing. But what people don't realize is that these big plays that look smooth and quick are ,sometimes,because of adjustments Wentz makes when he gets out of the huddle and reads the defense. 

3 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

I agree with the order for sure.

Definitely missing a huge part of Wentz's game that he has developed and been elite in regards to it: reading defenses pre-snap and adjusting. He reminds me of Peyton out there behind center or in shotgun, recognizing blitzes or single coverages or basically any mismatch...Moving his guys around in the formation or calling out to them. His football IQ just seems so beyond any under-25 year old quarterback Ive seen in my lifetime. 

Everyone loved to focus on his physical positives pre draft. Though, to be fair (and I include myself), not many people had seen actual games of his at NDSU. He's got a Big Build, prototypical 6'5 230 lb man who is going to make pass rushers jobs hell. Pegged as a big mobile QB with a big arm, but extremely raw. 

Only he wasn't that raw. 22 games in, he's proven that. There's a reason that even rival scouts GMs and coaches heap praise on him. Jay Gruden just said that Carson's the best young QB in the game (never heard Doug say that about Kirk or Dak or anyone). Patrick Peterson and Bruce Arians kept gushing about him even after that beat down they got from him. 

/rant about Carson. Sorry he's just so damn dreamy I find myself sometimes just writing his name on my desk at work.....Anyway

What I'm saying is his football IQ is off the charts. Sure, when things break down he's a master of making something out of nothing. But what people don't realize is that these big plays that look smooth and quick are ,sometimes,because of adjustments Wentz makes when he gets out of the huddle and reads the defense. 

Yep, football IQ, forgot to mention. Doing a good job at recognising blitzes and throwing hot. 

One thing I would say, is the OL is playing well. He has a great pocket on a lot of his highlight throws. 

5 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Only addressing Smith as I don't believe Brady belongs with Wentz or Smith yet.

I admit I dismissed Smith much too quickly. But why? Because he has another guy who is being talked about as an MVP candidate, all while also setting NFL records, behind him at running back.

I mean if you want to bring up defenses (which btw ours is the 14th overall..not as good as it should be thanks to our gruesome pass defense) why can't I mention that Smith happens to have the best running back atm alongside Gurley (and the #2 rushing offense total)? Or the best TE in football? Or that he's doing it under a HC KNOWN to squeeze the most possible talent out of a quarterback like it was the last tube of toothpaste?

*Note: it'll be funny if anyone tries to say Doug's a great HC because any of us Eagles fans will instantly kno you're talking out of your behind. Only we know the true greatness of DP

You haven't explained how the eagles are the best offense in the NFL yet 

20 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Based on what?  He has the best running game in the league, a great offensive supporting cast, and as soon as his defense stopped dominating, they lost.  I don't think he's even the MVP on his own team.  He was the MVP frontrunner until the Chiefs dropped 2 in a row and fell back to the pack.  

I have Brady comfortably ahead of him.  He has similar statistical production, has had a worse supporting cast through 7 games, single handedly carried the team through a couple games, had a couple come backs, dealt with crucial injuries on offense/rotating door of pass catchers, and is asked to do way way way more.

Also, there is a thread on this in the comparisons forum already.

63594749.jpg&f=1

Archived