Texans will not hold minicamp

pwny

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

On the bright side, doesn't it already look so bad that there's no way this regime survives?

I doubt Cal McNair will understand how bad it is, even after an 0-17 season.

That's the biggest part of the dread in all of this - Cal McNair will still be here after the dust settles. 

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I know what you are trying to say, I just disagree and think that it is a simplistic internet meme version of whats happening. Its an easy go-to right now for 'likes' and upvotes; but 1 dude preaching a message that the entire team is rejecting along with previous players is not a cult. Its the exact opposite of a cult.

I don't know about the opposite. Not a whole lot of freethinking opinions coming out of the lockerroom as far as I can tell. With regards to current players it's been fairly quiet when it comes to rejecting the message. I could buy apathy or fear of losing their jobs, but for the message to be rejected I'd expect a bit more backlash.

From a fan standpoint, I love that the Texans have gone full "Bold move, Cotton" while completely turning heel on the league. I could see the Texans being one of the most used non-very favorite teams in a Madden offline franchise for Madden '22. They have this wild new identity and I can't wait to see Easterby's vision played out to completion.

It's both memeable and must-see TV.  Imagine if somehow Tyrod Taylor leads the Texans to a 10-7 record  and then he gets dinged up, in comes the assumed "not the guy" Davis Mills. Mills gunslings to victory. The Texans narrowly lose in overtime to the team that ends up winning the Super Bowl. Optimism overfloweth in Houston.

Then there is the WWE-potential Texans coverage by the sports media and stations. If the Texans get any sort of winning traction, especially without El Diablo literal Deshaun Watson, imagine the dark ones in the media and how they would attempt to feast on Easterby headlines.

Conversely, if the Texans indeed display potentially-historic level of ineptitude early, the Easterby angle will be pressed hard, maybe more direct than we've ever seen from a sports news station. It'd be a bloodbath.

tl;dr whatever the outcome, the Texans add a fine dramatic element to the NFL this coming season. Intrigue level 100.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

All in front of an empty stadium:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/07/texans-are-struggling-to-sell-season-tickets/

For a team that has sold out every game in its existence, this is telling.

“Hell would freeze over before I’d spend a nickel on Texans tickets this year,” [Houston Chronicle reporter Jerome] Solomon explains. But he doesn’t blame the current players, the team, or Deshaun Watson‘s legal issues for the predicament.

“The ineptitude starts at the top,” Solomon writes. “That is why I couldn’t find a reason to justify spending on tickets.”

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

“Hell would freeze over before I’d spend a nickel on Texans tickets this year,” [Houston Chronicle reporter Jerome] Solomon explains. But he doesn’t blame the current players, the team, or Deshaun Watson‘s legal issues for the predicament.

“The ineptitude starts at the top,” Solomon writes. “That is why I couldn’t find a reason to justify spending on tickets.”

I was somewhere in the 11k range on the waitlist going into last season. I got an email a few weeks back saying I was now at the head of the line, and my "ticket ambassador" would be giving me a call to discuss my purchase.

When they called, I politely said I would not be purchasing a single Texans related item until Jack Easterby was gone. I feel like I lied to the guy, because I'm probably checking out as long as Cal owns the team. Even if Easterby is fired, I can't trust an organization with that moron in charge.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Technically, I think this is purgatory. Hell is when the season starts.

This season is basically one very long laugh track for me. I'm going to casually watch (assuming I don't find something better to watch - Astros, Loki, Stranger Things, The Handmaid's Tale, Bridgerton, Jupiter's Legacy, Warrior season 3, Ozark season 4, paint drying, toenails growing, etc) and laughing the entire time.

It's going to be hilarious... if the Bluth family started playing football, I'd imagine it's going to look a lot like this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This season is basically one very long laugh track for me. I'm going to casually watch (assuming I don't find something better to watch - Astros, Loki, Stranger Things, The Handmaid's Tale, Bridgerton, Jupiter's Legacy, Warrior season 3, Ozark season 4, paint drying, toenails growing, etc) and laughing the entire time.

It's going to be hilarious... if the Bluth family started playing football, I'd imagine it's going to look a lot like this.

Hate-watching or sarcastically watching your team is an important part of the breakup process. You're further along than you'd think.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hate-watching or sarcastically watching your team is an important part of the breakup process. You're further along than you'd think.

But Loki looks like it's gonna be hot fire, Ozark is already an intense story and Warrior is the best show you haven't seen yet.

(I feel as if Stranger Things is getting to a point to where the kids won't be as cute and/or nostalgic as previous seasons, so I'm banking on David Harbour and Wynona Ryder to carry the interest - hopefully with Matthew Modine in a M Night style twist).

I got a full plate here... But there will be plenty of hate/laugh watching the Texans this season. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

But Loki looks like it's gonna be hot fire, Ozark is already an intense story and Warrior is the best show you haven't seen yet.

(I feel as if Stranger Things is getting to a point to where the kids won't be as cute and/or nostalgic as previous seasons, so I'm banking on David Harbour and Wynona Ryder to carry the interest - hopefully with Matthew Modine in a M Night style twist).

I got a full plate here... But there will be plenty of hate/laugh watching the Texans this season. 

There is something highly entertaining when a horribly run, dysfunctional franchise takes it to a whole new level, and even as someone that loves/loved the team you can't help but find it absolutely hilarious. Your just general being bad, losing a lot, poor drafting, poor free agent signings, etc just sucks to watch. It stings and it hurts and all of that. But every now and then the franchises that have been terribly run the most over the past 20-30 years they reach this point where it doesn't hurt as much and literally all you can do is laugh. 

I think that hit for me for the Raiders, after growing up as a teenager basically seeing them be competitive and play in games like the tuck rule, blown out in the super bowl, etc, when Russell was in his second season. I remember being so angry when things like trading for Moss and him being a bum, the slow decline from Gruden leaving and becoming less and less competitive, to becoming one of the worst franchise in all of sports. But when Russell came out year 2 and it was just so obvious he was going to be a mega bust, and then drafting DHB at 7 totally sealed it. Obviously I still hated seeing the team I love being so horrendously bad, it sucked. But the level of ineptitude, blunders, clear mistakes seen by basically EVERYONE else right when they happened but we made them anyway and a lot of fans had to convince themselves we were about to prove everyone else wrong, all that pushed it to a level where the next few seasons didn't even hurt. I knew taking Russell was a terrible mistake at the time (though even I didn't expect him to be what he was), but when he showed up looking like a lineman after holding out so long as a rookie and not looking good when he played it was like ok, this isn't the franchise turning cornerstone, this is the type of player you draft that lets you know this is just the start of the awfulness lol. 

The next couple seasons couldn't even get a rise out of me, it was just shaking my head, laughing at all the bone headed moves, and feeling sorry for the genuinely seemingly good guys on the team or the few talents we had that were forced to be apart of that terribly dark time in franchise history. I loved Al for bringing the Raiders into existence, and he was a tremendous football mind, he was a trail blazer, a legend, and a HOFer, but man in his later years he was the exact opposite. He was clueless and clinging to the ways of yesteryear. 

Obviously kind of giving up on your team for feelings of kind of betrayal or disagreeing with the way they are running things and not just the decisions they make on drafting this player or signing/hiring this player/coach is a little different. I can't totally speak on that. But I can speak on just how entertaining your squad being all time bad can be, if you finally reach the point of accepting that is what is happening and you are in no way able to control it to keep it from going downhill. Once you have hit that type of acceptance the type of amusement you can get by watching the train wreck is something you will always remember. 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 4

On 6/11/2021 at 7:39 AM, ET80 said:

If you need anything else to binge-watch in lieu of Texans games, I humbly recommend my new favorite show Forged In Fire. It's a competitive blacksmithing program in which guys who put their heads down and grind have something to show for it by the end of the day. Not all hard-working football players are so fortunate.

• Like 1