Chiefs G Kyle Long fractures knee cap

Blackstar12

Just now, Piquel said:

I'll bring some absolute's...

KC Oline should probably finish the season maybe ranked by some people around the 1 to 32 range.

I think Alabama might be able to sneak in, thereby rendering your opinion invalid.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think Alabama might be able to sneak in, thereby rendering your opinion invalid.

True, I forgot the "in the NFL" qualifier.   Rereading my post the "finish the season" might be where I'm wrong if last year's oline is any indication. 

Edited by Piquel
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Piquel said:

True, I forgot the "in the NFL" qualifier.   Rereading my post the "finish the season" might be where I'm wrong if last year's oline is any indication. 

See... this guy I like. 

13 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Eh, Reid is anything but traditional. I imagine a good amount of  RPOs per usual. 

i mean thats why i said potentially. 

If we have to change the offense for Brown to succeed,  that’s already a loss for what we gave up.  

Not saying it’ll happen,  but if he excels because we tailored to him.. that’s a loss in my book

13 hours ago, samsel23 said:

If we have to change the offense for Brown to succeed,  that’s already a loss for what we gave up.  

Not saying it’ll happen,  but if he excels because we tailored to him.. that’s a loss in my book

Reid tailors his offense to his players strengths, this is nothing new. Its kinda one of the reasons hes considered an offensive genius. 

I mean OBJs reworking his game to fit with Mahomes style and playing more shotgun, but I dont doubt if we see a lot of RPOs, and power football with OBJ leading the charge either. 

if theyre really committed to helping out Mahomes, that means some of things we’re accustomed too need to change. He cant just be in shotgun 50+ passes a game, just because he can.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Reid tailors his offense to his players strengths, this is nothing new. Its kinda one of the reasons hes considered an offensive genius. 

I mean OBJs reworking his game to fit with Mahomes style and playing more shotgun, but I dont doubt if we see a lot of RPOs, and power football with OBJ leading the charge either. 

if theyre really committed to helping out Mahomes, that means some of things we’re accustomed too need to change. He cant just be in shotgun 50+ passes a game, just because he can.

100% this. We brought in Brown as part of a larger scheme to change the offense. That has been the overarching theme of our last year or so of additions to the offense, from CEH to Brown to Thuney to Gray. Our offense, as good as it has been, has been largely one note since Kareem Hunt left. Williams was fantastic for the superbowl run two years back, but past that, it has too often relied on just Mahomes magic. The entire point of signings like Brown is to get away from that. To still have that as an option, but not as the only go to option. Now we can have some power run options on short yardage that didn't exist, we can have a traditional drop back deep game (not just the Mahomes runs around for awhile deep game), and hopefully we can get back to screens, because dear god were we crap at that last year. The worst we've ever been at screens under Reid.

Also, just for the record on this topic, PFF has had Brown consistently graded better as a pass blocker than as a run blocker, through his career. He was excellent at both last year, but he has always been graded better in pass pro. Scouting reports had similar evaluations of his college play, he was better in pass pro than as a run blocker. There's this weird assumption with Brown, that since he's huge and he has played for the Ravens, that he's some road grading downhill blocker, and while he has developed over time in that direction, that's really not the player he is. His length helps him more in pass pro than anything else. 

Just gonna @ET80 here since I think he was the one talking about fit in the first place.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:21 AM, Deadpulse said:

That's one of those wince by just reading about it type of injuries

Yes it is. Just reading the words "fractured knee cap" is enough to make your skin crawl. Never had it happen but elbows and knee fractures sound so damn painful.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:37 AM, Rodjahs12 said:

Should have stayed retired.

He never retired. He made it clear to everyone that he was only stepping back to let his body heal and that he was going to be back.

On 6/10/2021 at 12:40 PM, Xenos said:

Some guys love the game too much to let go.

I believe he's just trying to fill a void at this point. He was on his way to a potential HOF career until his entire body from his neck down just gave out on him far too early. I don't think it's about money, accolades, or anything like that......it's just the "what if?" that is killing him inside that he's chasing.

I feel so bad for Long cause he was a beast in his prime from 2013-2015 at both G and RT before the injuries started to pile up (he HATED playing RT but still did it anyways).
In 2016 he tore his shoulder in preseason, declined surgery, and played thru it for 8 weeks before also tearing his left ankle that put him on IR for the year (he had to have reconstructive surgery) and had surgeries on his shoulder while he was sidelined. In 2017, he was limited in offseason programs, missed the first 3 games, while still recovering from his ankle,   came back for a short time, and then tore the same shoulder which put him on IR again.  Came back in 2018 and played well but was not the same dominant player he used to be and ended up on IR once again after tearing his right ankle.

When he announced he was taking a break I knew he would never play for the Bears again but I was excited to see him go to a team where he had a legit shot at a ring because the man deserves one (even if he never played a big role or not).

That said, this doesn't change anything for the CHiefs. This was just them taking a chance....low risk high reward.....just to see if he can stay healthy and ha viable bench option.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 3:03 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

Yes it is. Just reading the words "fractured knee cap" is enough to make your skin crawl. Never had it happen but elbows and knee fractures sound so damn painful.

He never retired. He made it clear to everyone that he was only stepping back to let his body heal and that he was going to be back.

I believe he's just trying to fill a void at this point. He was on his way to a potential HOF career until his entire body from his neck down just gave out on him far too early. I don't think it's about money, accolades, or anything like that......it's just the "what if?" that is killing him inside that he's chasing.

I feel so bad for Long cause he was a beast in his prime from 2013-2015 at both G and RT before the injuries started to pile up (he HATED playing RT but still did it anyways).
In 2016 he tore his shoulder in preseason, declined surgery, and played thru it for 8 weeks before also tearing his left ankle that put him on IR for the year (he had to have reconstructive surgery) and had surgeries on his shoulder while he was sidelined. In 2017, he was limited in offseason programs, missed the first 3 games, while still recovering from his ankle,   came back for a short time, and then tore the same shoulder which put him on IR again.  Came back in 2018 and played well but was not the same dominant player he used to be and ended up on IR once again after tearing his right ankle.

When he announced he was taking a break I knew he would never play for the Bears again but I was excited to see him go to a team where he had a legit shot at a ring because the man deserves one (even if he never played a big role or not).

That said, this doesn't change anything for the CHiefs. This was just them taking a chance....low risk high reward.....just to see if he can stay healthy and ha viable bench option.

All in all he had one season where the offense did well too. He was usually trying to get a mediocre group to perform, and was the heart of the OL for his time here. After having the QB run he has dealt with in Chicago, I could see why he wanted to go to KC. He's going from Trestman and new HC Nagy to HOF Reid too. Playmakers everywhere with a crazy potential production. That could be a hell of a way to hang them up for good.

Hopefully he gets to stay on and get at least one more season to make a deep run. At bare minimum he adds another level of toughness for the OL, which is never a bad thing.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 10:28 AM, Old Guy said:

HE may be cleared by week 1 but he's been out of football for what 2 years? He didn't play a lot the final two years either because of injuries and when he did he wasn't very effective. KC is not getting the player they remember, even if he is back week 1. 

I think KC would have been disappointed even if he wasn't hurt.   He hasn't played well in a long time and was getting worse not better.

He started a lot of games in Chicago based on past reputation and hope that he would play better.   

In 2019 there was high hopes for Long because he was ostensibly finally healthy and 100% for an offseason.   

I went to a training camp practice in 2019 and watched the O Line all day.  The way they did it was skill players were over on one field and OL was over on another far apart.  So you had to pick one group to watch.   All media was over with skill players and all those seats were taken so I went to were OL was because I could get a bleacher seat right next to them.  

Long lost every single live rep the entire day against every D linemen he went against.   He got so frustrated at one point he walked off by himself and started hitting himself in frustration.

I can't believe he kept getting inserted in starting lineup.  Not sure what Bears coaches were watching.  How do you lose your position if not that?   Bears OL coach was fired next season so there is that.

Surprised KC picked him up.   I guess just hoping to catch a guy from years ago that was a very good player. 

On 6/14/2021 at 9:28 AM, Sugashane said:

All in all he had one season where the offense did well too. He was usually trying to get a mediocre group to perform, and was the heart of the OL for his time here. After having the QB run he has dealt with in Chicago, I could see why he wanted to go to KC. He's going from Trestman and new HC Nagy to HOF Reid too. Playmakers everywhere with a crazy potential production. That could be a hell of a way to hang them up for good.

Hopefully he gets to stay on and get at least one more season to make a deep run. At bare minimum he adds another level of toughness for the OL, which is never a bad thing.

I still maintain he should've been named an all-pro in 2015 over someone who I forget his name.

I hope so. I hope he does come back and KC retains him and they make a run for it. He deserves it after all the bad luck he had. And I don't throw that out too loosely to just anyone either.

• Like 1

6th round rookie RG Trey Smith has been dominating in camp. Projected to start alongside rookie C Creed Humphrey who has also been impressive.

This injury helps us if anything. Kyle Long will settle into the player coach role he’s best suited for at this stage in his career and Trey Smith can start getting game reps to maximize his rookie deal value.

Hoping we keep Long on the roster to coach up our young talented rookies while he rehabs and remains an emergency option for our deep playoff run.

also a lot of chiefs fans are expecting Lucas Niang to start at RT, I’m not one of them. Mike Remmers agent already leaked that he was basically promised the starting RT job so I just assume they’re going for a full 2 year redshirt for Niang. Last year he trained by himself to get ready, this year he gets to train with the team before starting next.

no matter, everything I’ve heard from Long tells me he’s the perfect guy to have around impressionable young players. And Him and creed Humphrey are both left handed so if he can help him use that to his advantage as a center it will take our offensive line to the next level.

Im ready for next season. The buccaneers time is up.

Edited by Kirill

5 hours ago, Kirill said:

6th round rookie RG Trey Smith has been dominating in camp. Projected to start alongside rookie C Creed Humphrey who has also been impressive.

Medical or not, Smith making it that late in the draft is just crazy to me. Once I get to the 4th round I'm ready to gamble on high upside players. 

In my realtime draft I took Fields and Jenkins so I didn't have a pick til 151 - and I took Smith in a crackhead heartbeat. Lol

• Like 2