Jaguars Training Camp News and Notes

.Buzz

Previewing Training Camp: In the spotlight

Here’s a look at the Jaguars four players who will be most in that spotlight:

4) Branden Albert, left tackle. Albert, a 10-year NFL veteran, drew the ire of many fans when he opted not to attend the voluntary portion of the Jaguars’2017 offseason program after the team acquired him in a trade from Miami. While attending the team’s mandatory mid-June minicamp, Albert said he would attend training camp beginning in late July – and that he would be in shape when he reported. The Jaguars need the latter to happen – and they also need him to win what will be a competition for the left-tackle position with rookie Cam Robinson. Mostly, they need Albert to be what they believed him to be when they traded for him – a two-time Pro Bowl player who can improve the line as both a run- and pass-blocker.

3) Myles Jack, middle linebacker. Jack moved to middle linebacker in the offseason after starting 10 games at strong side as a rookie last season. The move was made to get Jack – an elite-level talent who many projected as a Top 5 overall selection in the 2016 NFL Draft – on the field in both passing and running situations. The task for Jack now is to continue to master the defensive play-calling that goes along with the move to the middle. He absolutely has the talent to be a big-time middle linebacker. The play-calling and leadership may take time, but the Jaguars can’t afford for it to take too much time. Jack needs to expedite the process as much as possible.

2) Dante Fowler Jr., defensive end. This has nothing to do with Fowler’s incident in St. Petersburg this week and everything to do with on-field production. Jaguars fans know Fowler’s story well. The No. 3 overall selection in the 2015 NFL Draft, he missed his rookie season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament sustained in May rookie minicamp. He played 16 games last season and while his high energy, aggressive style made plays in running situations, he generated just four sacks. He also committed far too many avoidable penalties. Fowler was up front throughout the offseason about the need to improve his pass-rush techniques and reduce the plays that hurt the team. The Jaguars need him to develop into a playmaking presence and fulfill his potential. Yannick Ngakoue registered eight sacks as a rookie last season, but the team needs more pass rush off the edge – and they need it from Fowler.

1) Bortles. We mentioned Bortles in the lead-in to this piece, and we’ll close with him, too. He’s that important. He spent much of the offseason working on mechanics and fundamentals with his personal quarterbacks coaches – Adam Dedeaux and Tom House in California. He has put in impressive work to improve the accuracy issues that hurt at times last season. And while improving accuracy will be important for Bortles, improving decision-making, pocket awareness and reducing interceptions is just as key. We’ll get an idea about the accuracy in training camp and preseason, but it may be the regular season before we get a full idea of Bortles’ development. Either way, he’ll be in the spotlight long before then.

I really hope Albert can make an impact for us and let the pressure off of Cam if I'm being honest. I'd love to see Cam out there at LT on that first Sunday but it'd probably be best to start him out at LG or RT imo. I'm a lot more iffy on Parnell or whoever wins the LG job than LT if Albert is healthy and when he's healthy he is a beast. I just hope he can stay relatively healthy for us this year.

Myles Jack I really expect big things out of. There's going to be lapses, this is his first year at MLB for us...but I expect a lot of big flashes of brilliance as well. Although I'm not sold on Poz making the team or working out at SAM, I sure hope he makes a smooth transition and it works because having him AND Telvin out there helping him would do wonders.

51 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I really hope Albert can make an impact for us and let the pressure off of Cam if I'm being honest. I'd love to see Cam out there at LT on that first Sunday but it'd probably be best to start him out at LG or RT imo. I'm a lot more iffy on Parnell or whoever wins the LG job than LT if Albert is healthy and when he's healthy he is a beast. I just hope he can stay relatively healthy for us this year.

Agreed with all of this.  We really don't have the depth to sustain him not being good or him missing a lot of time. 

Previewing Training Camp: Rookie watch

The Jaguars currently have 22 rookies on the roster – seven draft selections and 15 collegiate free agents. Two first-year players, offensive lineman Nila Kasitati and wide receiver Jamal Robinson, also reported on Wednesday. The seven-member draft class almost certainly will make the biggest impact among the group of returning players, and it’s quite possible this class could make a significant impact indeed.

In fact, because of the presence of rookie running back Leonard Fournette, it would be surprising if there’s not a big contribution from the ’17 class this season. But the No. 4 overall selection in the 2017 NFL Draft is just one reason to watch this year’s rookie class – and he’s just one of the rookies the franchise needs to be on the field quickly in order to reach its goals for the ’17.

A look at the ’17 draft class entering 2017 Training Camp:

6 hours ago, iPwn said:

2017 Off-season: Under the radar, offense

2017 Off-season: Under the radar, defense

Some under the radar guys to look out for as camp gets ready to open.

Sheldon Day is another guy I'm excited to see out there. With Marks on the outs he should have a chance to get some more playing time. He showed a lot of flashes last year rushing the passer when he got a chance.

9 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Are we able to get a sticky on this thread? Not like we have a ton of threads yet but figure with TC about to start up there probably is going to be plenty to talk about in here.

We've actually found that stickying threads decreases activity in those threads, because they become static to user's perception. Those forums that have put up a bunch of stickies will likely be told not to do so rather soon.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

We've actually found that stickying threads decreases activity in those threads, because they become static to user's perception. Those forums that have put up a bunch of stickies will likely be told not to do so rather soon.

Oh ok.

35 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Who are you guys following for news? I'm finally setting up a Jaguars news list of people I'm following, but I can't remember everyone off the top of my head. 

Ryan O, Mike Kaye, John Reid, Hays, Brent Martineau, John Oesher, and D-Roc.

Archived