Is there a RB you think is the Clear-Cut #1 this year?

JaguarCrazy2832

So I started looking into the 2021 fantasy football season and a quick look at the top RBs, I feel like all of them give me a little bit of pause

*keep in mind I'm drafting in a Non-PPR league, its just been that way for 15 years and no one wants to change it*

Derrick Henry- He has been as durable as they come since entering the league and put up ridiculous numbers but he had the most carries in a season since 2014 and its not like he avoids punishment. I just wonder if his body can take another 370 carries. Of course if he drops to 320 it will be fine so long as he is healthy. 

Dalvin Cook-2 years removed from back to back seasons of serious injuries he might be the safest of this bunch, there is injury risk but that comes with the position. 

Christian McCaffrey & Saquon Barkley- The fact that they both suffered serious injuries has got to give you some pause right? Barkley's OL is awful and trusting a Darnold-led Panthers offense isnt ideal but the receiving yards will be there. 

Jonathan Taylor- If Carson Wentz can be anything close to a Top-20 QB then Taylor will be just fine given how great the OL is but I just dont think Wentz becomes a start-worthy QB all over again

I realize that alot of this is projecting worst case type scenarios for some, just curious if you all share any similar concerns or if you think I'm out of line to worry about these situations. Its way too early to know where I'm drafting but I feel like there aren't 24 start worthy RBs in a Non-PPR league as it sits right now

55 minutes ago, Lionized said:

I think Taylor is way over valued right now. 

He very well might be although I think moreso in PPR leagues depending on where he is. Whats your take on what I said above though. Are they legit concerns? I'm almost always risk averse in round 1 so I tend to think how a player can burn me moreso than how can he win me games. I'm wondering if there is value in drafting later on this year but unsure

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lionized said:

I think Taylor is way over valued right now. 

He could have another year like last year. So so during the season then things fall in line and he gets 20+ touches but I just don't know if I want to spend a pick and chance it.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So I started looking into the 2021 fantasy football season and a quick look at the top RBs, I feel like all of them give me a little bit of pause

*keep in mind I'm drafting in a Non-PPR league, its just been that way for 15 years and no one wants to change it*

Derrick Henry- He has been as durable as they come since entering the league and put up ridiculous numbers but he had the most carries in a season since 2014 and its not like he avoids punishment. I just wonder if his body can take another 370 carries. Of course if he drops to 320 it will be fine so long as he is healthy. 

Dalvin Cook-2 years removed from back to back seasons of serious injuries he might be the safest of this bunch, there is injury risk but that comes with the position. 

Christian McCaffrey & Saquon Barkley- The fact that they both suffered serious injuries has got to give you some pause right? Barkley's OL is awful and trusting a Darnold-led Panthers offense isnt ideal but the receiving yards will be there. 

Jonathan Taylor- If Carson Wentz can be anything close to a Top-20 QB then Taylor will be just fine given how great the OL is but I just dont think Wentz becomes a start-worthy QB all over again

I realize that alot of this is projecting worst case type scenarios for some, just curious if you all share any similar concerns or if you think I'm out of line to worry about these situations. Its way too early to know where I'm drafting but I feel like there aren't 24 start worthy RBs in a Non-PPR league as it sits right now

No, this is a legitimate case. I own Barkley from last year and sadly he's the best player on my team. I've tried to shop him but to no surprise, no one wants him. I'm stuck with him basically. 

Overall, even the guys who COULD breakout give me some pause. The Cam Akers, D'Andre Swift, Antoino Gibson and so forth.

I'd probably considered the elite WRs/Travis Kelce over those guy. Only because on paper, I know what I'm getting.

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

He very well might be although I think moreso in PPR leagues depending on where he is. Whats your take on what I said above though. Are they legit concerns? I'm almost always risk averse in round 1 so I tend to think how a player can burn me moreso than how can he win me games. I'm wondering if there is value in drafting later on this year but unsure

In redrafts, I would prefer a bottom three pick. As I call it, avoid playing the RB lottery and go WR heavy/pick a TE. Then in R3 and so on, look at Carson, Gaskins, Mike Davis, Mostert and so forth. Two guys I really like that are in a two back committee are Jamaal Williams and Gus Edwards.

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

He could have another year like last year. So so during the season then things fall in line and he gets 20+ touches but I just don't know if I want to spend a pick and chance it.

No, this is a legitimate case. I own Barkley from last year and sadly he's the best player on my team. I've tried to shop him but to no surprise, no one wants him. I'm stuck with him basically. 

Overall, even the guys who COULD breakout give me some pause. The Cam Akers, D'Andre Swift, Antoino Gibson and so forth.

I'd probably considered the elite WRs/Travis Kelce over those guy. Only because on paper, I know what I'm getting.

I agree(in Non-PPR) the 5 I mentioned plus Zeke-Kamara-Chubb all have some sort of wart but I do think after them there is a certain level of uncertainty with OL, health, playing time or just consistency. if I pick late round 1 I feel like I have to get 1 RB because after RB say 20, I think there is no one worth starting. Non-PPR puts a huge strain at RB because high volume catch guys are much less valuable

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

In redrafts, I would prefer a bottom three pick. As I call it, avoid playing the RB lottery and go WR heavy/pick a TE. Then in R3 and so on, look at Carson, Gaskins, Mike Davis, Mostert and so forth. Two guys I really like that are in a two back committee are Jamaal Williams and Gus Edwards.

Yea my problem is I just dont like any of the RBs around then either. I'd almost rather punt the position even farther and go WR R3 as well as ridiculous as that sounds. 

I'd hate to pigeon hole myself, whats funny is any year that I know exactly where I want to pick my draft spot, I'm always one of the last few names to pick and a year like this year I feel like I'll be the first name drawn and have no clue how I want to line it up. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea my problem is I just dont like any of the RBs around then either. I'd almost rather punt the position even farther and go WR R3 as well as ridiculous as that sounds. 

I'd hate to pigeon hole myself, whats funny is any year that I know exactly where I want to pick my draft spot, I'm always one of the last few names to pick and a year like this year I feel like I'll be the first name drawn and have no clue how I want to line it up. 

I was hellbent on picking a RB to pair with Barkley but the idea of Kelce or Diggs/Ridley with Barkley is also nice. I really don't like the idea of punting RB but I don't mind Barkley with Elite Pass catches then rolling the dice in R4 so forth on RBs. 

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

I was hellbent on picking a RB to pair with Barkley but the idea of Kelce or Diggs/Ridley with Barkley is also nice. I really don't like the idea of punting RB but I don't mind Barkley with Elite Pass catches then rolling the dice in R4 so forth on RBs. 

Well yea but I dont think I'd be afforded the opportunity of Kelce/Diggs if I had to take Barkley at 4 or 5(although I think I've seen Barkley is your keeper?)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Well yea but I dont think I'd be afforded the opportunity of Kelce/Diggs if I had to take Barkley at 4 or 5(although I think I've seen Barkley is your keeper?)

Yep, Barkley is my keeper. 

To make things simple, our keepers are R18 for everyone.

So basically our draft starts off at pick #13. 

I think Ez E is the best option out of those guys I like him in a bounce back spot this year with Dak coming back as well should help him out. He’s also due for some positive TD regression from last year because the number of carries he had inside the red zone compared to how many tuddies he got are way out of proportion. I’m trying to trade out of the 1 spot to the 4th or 5th spot to take Zeke. 

If Akers came out and was RB #1 it wouldn’t be shocking at all. He’s easily one of the most underrated backs right now. He shouldn’t be going beyond round 1.

BTW...with as good as Kamara is in PPR...he was RB#2 in standard leagues last year. 

ADDENDUM: To answer the question. No I don't think that there is a clear cut #1 RB. I think it could be one of about 9 RBs. I could see a scenario that any of the following RBs could be RB #1: McCaffrey (before last year was putting up historic fantasy seasons), Henry (top standard league RB last year), Kamara (top PPR RB last year), Cook (top standard league RB on a per game basis last year), Chubb (supremely talented standard league RB, but would like take Hunt injury to be top RB), Taylor (bellcow RB who was exceptional second half of the season in great system), Akers (bellcow RB who was exceptional second half of season in great system), Jones (has been the most underrated RB for the past few years, does nothing but put up tons of fantasy points), Barkley (supremely talented do-it-all RB, that just needs to stay healthy).

It's pretty crazy...but there are probably a few more that could surprise and top all of those guys like CEH, Swift, Ekeler, Elliott, or Harris. You really just can't go wrong this year at the RB position.

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 1