What are some of the greatest plays you remember that ended up not counting?

TecmoSuperJoe

Whether it's a catch, run, throw, interception, punt? Or whatever playmaking marvel you can recall that ended up going to the wayside because of a penalty, non-call, or some other officiating interference.

For whatever reason, maybe it was the circumstances of the game, but I think of the Mike Renfro catch in the 1979 AFC Championship that ended up not being ruled a catch even though it clearly was. Great boundary work by Renfro, and great bare handed snag. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

12 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

This one jumps out immediately for me.

Can't talk about incredible no-catches without this one from Hopkins' 2nd season. 

Play was killed due to a hold or illegal formation, one of those two.

• Like 3

https://www.colts.com/video/pro-bowl-derek-carr-finds-t-y-hilton-deep-in-end-zone-but-he-can-t-hold-20312366

I'll list some others that I thought of off the top of my head that came in regular season games. 

This one from the pro bowl though is one of my favorite throws DC has made in his entire career. I'm not saying it's a throw a decent amount of other NFL QBs couldn't make, but I don't think many that aren't in the top 1/3 of the league or so are making it. With Bennett jumping off sides, the rush closing in, stepping up in the pocket to a full sprint basically, pulling up and with just a flick and upper body Carr launches it 50+ yards in the air to TY Hilton who got over the top of Richard Sherman. Harrison Smith is closing in from the deep part of the field and if Carr under throws it at all Smith is going to make a play on the ball, but Carr puts plenty of air on it, puts it over the top in the 2 or so yards of space he has on either side or short and hits Hilton PERFECTLY in stride. 

Man the Carr that took more shots like that in the regular season and would show just how fantastic his arm strength and really overall athleticism was extremely fun to watch. He's never been what I would call a gun slinger but in 2015 and 2016 when he had a quality 1-2 punch at WR capable of making plays deep down the field, he could make some absolutely jaw dropping throws. Anymore, whether it's from coaching, scheme, lack of great WR talent capable of making big plays, or just comes from Carr playing differently because of injuries, coaching, whatever, Carr typically doesn't take very many deep shots like that. He can make a lot of tight window throws at times in the intermediate area of the field or in the red zone, but we don't get to see many like this play like we saw in 15 and 16. Though last year was a big step up over the past 3 years or so, so I'm hoping Ruggs can break out and Edwards can be what I believe and those 2 along with Waller can bring these types of throws out of DC a little more frequently. 

Dolphins vs Steelers last play of the game a few years back where there were a number of laterals. ABs (I believe it was him) pinky toe touched white as he was running into score.

I went from mad to irate to in disbelief to relieved in the matter of 19 seconds. 

• Like 1

The run at about the 12:40 mark of this video. CJ would’ve been only like 50 yards away from breaking the record with pretty much the rest of the 4th quarter left. Instead it gets called back on one of the weakest holding calls I’ve ever seen.

Is this the greatest “no play” plays ever, no. It is however, one that has stuck out to me as a “what if” since the moment it happened.