Dolphins extend LB Jerome Baker (3 year, $39M)

Jakuvious

8 hours ago, wwhickok said:

This is a pass rush/coverage signing. Run stopping, I think you can tend to find guys easier. But Baker can cover well and he proved last season in somewhat limited rushes, he can get to the QB. That's an asset for any team. It's actually a good signing.

Don't you generally want your $13M per year LB to be good at both, though? Like, I think this comes out to be 5th or 6th most money per year for an off ball LB. And I'm all for role players, I think one of the bigger separators between great coaches and poor ones is how they can manage players like that, to minimize their weaknesses and maximize their strengths. It's how Belichick can go nuts with a discount front 7. But, the whole appeal of players like that is generally that they're cheaper. You can get a lot of value out of a LB that's really good at two out of the three things, but once you pay them $13M that's no longer value. You're paying a premium for a guy that will be good on 60% of the snaps. It's like if you have a DT that can't really rush the passer, or a WR that's limited to shallow/intermediate routes as a slot receiver. Those are valuable guys to have around, but not if you're paying premium money for it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Don't you generally want your $13M per year LB to be good at both, though? Like, I think this comes out to be 5th or 6th most money per year for an off ball LB. And I'm all for role players, I think one of the bigger separators between great coaches and poor ones is how they can manage players like that, to minimize their weaknesses and maximize their strengths. It's how Belichick can go nuts with a discount front 7. But, the whole appeal of players like that is generally that they're cheaper. You can get a lot of value out of a LB that's really good at two out of the three things, but once you pay them $13M that's no longer value. You're paying a premium for a guy that will be good on 60% of the snaps. It's like if you have a DT that can't really rush the passer, or a WR that's limited to shallow/intermediate routes as a slot receiver. Those are valuable guys to have around, but not if you're paying premium money for it.

All of that is absolutely fair and I agree in a more ideal situation you want your blind backer to be good at both all I'm saying is I understand why they get it in for a lack of other options I suppose this is a good decision but ultimately I'm not sure that I would have  Made this deal if I were a GM

This is hilarious. I've been following stuff like the Euro and NCAA track and field championships and the swimming Olympic trials. Somewhere along the line I heard the Dolphins extended Jerome Baker. I was thinking yeah I know Flores overrates him. But I was thinking the price tag was half this much, if not lower.

They paid $13 million for a run around guy who makes an occasional splash play but is no use in physical matters

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Don't you generally want your $13M per year LB to be good at both, though? 

The only thing I'd say is that in very short order, 13 won't seem all that big of a deal. Leonard and Warner are up for extensions this year, so that off ball linebacker market is about to get rocked. Likely before the season even starts