IDEAL COACH

Dionysus

Let's say Mularkey and Co. don't pan out.  Who would be your ideal coach and staff to take over this team with the current roster we have right now?  Doesn't matter if he's been a HC in the  pros or college, or completely new.  It would have to be someone who can really help Mariota become the elite QB that we believe he could be, and keep our running game in tact as well.  For me personally, I would like for Peyton Manning to at least be involved in the offense in some way.

Who would be the HC, OC, and DC that would work well with the current talent under J-Rob?  Just curious.

If we were to blow it up...

Head Coach-Dave Toub-Chiefs Special Teams Coach- Not a sexy hire but a guy who's thought highly. His SPT units are always near the top of the league. Really boils down to which coordinators he hires. Which leads me to....

Offensive Coordinator-Brad Childress-Chiefs Co-Offensive Coordinator-Has had success in the past as a OC and has experience as a HC, which I think is big for a new HC. Was a Spread Game analyst (whatever that is) for the Chiefs before becoming the co-offensive coordinator this year. Don't know if he'll leave his pal Andy Reid but I feel he could be magical with Mariota.

Defensive Coordinator-????- Honestly the potential candidates is not great. Maybe Chuck Pagano, when he's fired. Perry Fewell? Mike Pettine? No matter who we get, I feel we're going to feel a bit underwhelmed here.

I think you have to wonder what could be if McDaniels would get the job. He has some history with Robinson, and I believe I'm remembering correctly that there were rumors circling around that he'd be interested in the job in Tennessee, if that seat were to open up. Also, I'm very interested in what they could and will do to fix the defense. I think LeBeau is gone after the year unless somehow things take a huge turn for the better. Frankly, I was thinking of a HC demoted back to DC type of scenario myself (such as Pagano). 

On 10/23/2017 at 3:08 AM, TitanSlim said:

Offensive Coordinator-Brad Childress-Chiefs Co-Offensive Coordinator-Has had success in the past as a OC and has experience as a HC, which I think is big for a new HC. Was a Spread Game analyst (whatever that is) for the Chiefs before becoming the co-offensive coordinator this year. Don't know if he'll leave his pal Andy Reid but I feel he could be magical with Mariota.

Dude, Childress?!?!? If there was a puke emoji it would go right here ___. I think Toub definitely could be a good HC candidate and will get his shot somewhere.

The current staff definitely gets on my nerves on a weekly basis lately, but I doubt they make a move on Mularkey. More realistic would be refreshes at coordinator spots. Ideally, Robiskie would retire/step away, if not he needs to be let go. His playcalling makes no sense at least 50% of the game. Would love to see a guy like John DeFilippo get a shot as an OC here. He's doing well in Philly w/Wentz as the QB coach, could be a good option to promote to an OC with an eye to being a HC later on. Would be nice to get a fresh start on offense with someone who sees the game differently than the stubborn old-school guys we've been keeping around. 

At this point I'd take Chip Kelly without GM responsibility. Anything to spread the field and put Marcus in the offense he thrives in. I want to be as far away from this bunch tight formation crap as we can get. I do like the use of two tight ends. I don't like that one if them is blocking when we pass half the time anyway. Incorporate that into the spread and let Marcus do Marcus.

My ideal head coach is someone who look at each individual opponent and exploits matchups on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. If a specific team has some inexperienced starter or player who isn't fully healthy, I want the coach to be able to attack that player on offense, and overwhelm that player on defense. Backup offensive tackle? Send blitzes to his side. Rookie cornerbacks starting? Throw the ball at them. He's someone who isn't stuck in his ways, and adjusts his scheme and gameplans to take advantage of the talent on the roster as well as weekly matchups. He's also someone who holds special teams accountable.

So whoever can check off those boxes will have my support. As far as how 'popular' he is with the players, well, Fisher and Mularkey are beloved by their players. I'd rather have a hard-liner like BB over that. But someone with a personality like Pete Carroll would probably be my personal preference.

I personally feel that the recent draft and influx of talent on the offense would trend us towards a more spread out approach, with our bruising backs being able to punish defenses that have to go nickel and dime to handle our more open approach. Instead with the exotic smashmouth, we load up on the line, and let the opposing defenses do the same.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:33 PM, Dionysus said:

I wouldn't be upset with that choice, but I seriously doubt he'd leave 'Bama.  The man is a god there.

He's going to retire there. I'd be shocked if he left to coach anywhere else. The man has reached the mountaintop.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 7:46 AM, VY said:

Dude, Childress?!?!? If there was a puke emoji it would go right here ___. I think Toub definitely could be a good HC candidate and will get his shot somewhere.

The current staff definitely gets on my nerves on a weekly basis lately, but I doubt they make a move on Mularkey. More realistic would be refreshes at coordinator spots. Ideally, Robiskie would retire/step away, if not he needs to be let go. His playcalling makes no sense at least 50% of the game. Would love to see a guy like John DeFilippo get a shot as an OC here. He's doing well in Philly w/Wentz as the QB coach, could be a good option to promote to an OC with an eye to being a HC later on. Would be nice to get a fresh start on offense with someone who sees the game differently than the stubborn old-school guys we've been keeping around. 

Gonna leave this here. While yesterday's first drive was a revelation as to what they can be, still not entirely convinced current staff is the best solution past the next year or two. While a lot of the issues were on the players yesterday, still mind-boggling it's taken Mularkey and Co. - or to be fair Robiskie - this long to figure all this out.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-should-be-prepared-to-lose-qbs-coach-john-defilippo-20171113.html

Josh McDaniels as HC Chip Kelly as OC McDaniels is top 5 offensive play caller I’m the game. He knows how to create matchups & he gets how to attack a defense every game. Chip Kelly helps josh by designing an offense tailored around Mariota skillset, know 1 knows Marcus strengths better than Chip Kelly.

as for the defense 

Brian Flores He’s the LB coach for the patriots. He’s an understudy of Patricia & bill BC. 

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Brian Flores He’s the LB coach for the patriots. He’s an understudy of Patricia & bill BC. 

The sooner people stop buying into a coach or a quarterback being an understudy in the Patriots system, the better off the entire NFL will be. 

Seriously, this is the list of assistant coaches that once served under Belichick that went on to get head coaching gigs in the NFL:

Romeo Crennel

Al Groh

Josh McDaniels

Eric Mangini

Nick Saban (Keep in mind that we're referring to abandoning the Dolphins Nick Saban)

Jim Schwartz

Bill O'Brien

That is the Belichick coaching tree. I want nothing to do with one of Bill's understudies. It's like signing/trading for a Patriots backup quarterback just because they "learned" under Brady.

Archived