IDEAL COACH

Dionysus

Couldn't agree more that the game has passed this entire staff by. Mularkey is too conservative, and the scheme that Lebeau runs would be great against the offense that Robiskie runs...circa 1993. 

I know many feel that Lebeau's defense is good and just lacks a pass rusher...just like every other bad defense. I think he has lost the feel for the game, of Mularkey has handcuffed him too much, either way we get way too conservative on 3rd and long. I know we play decent vs bad offenses but any good or better QB will just completely destroy our defense. 

A conservative coach will never get us where we need to be. So tired of being in 3rd and 8 because we have to run on first down against an eight man box. Marcus doesn't get a pass here but at some point you have to have the ability to change the play to get into something better. Our offense consists of either running or throwing a pass 20 yards down field. 

I am a Michigan fan and was super excited to have Harbaugh, but I have quickly realized that he will never win a National Championship because of the conservative offense he runs. The conservative style offense will never score enough to beat elite teams, in the pros it is more realistic to win a SB, but dominate defenses winning a SB is much more of an outlier. 

I know I am all over the map but I get frustrated at the thought of wasting the really good QB we have and running an offense that does nothing to develop him or showcase his strongest abilities...beside running. 

in a way...it comes down to this for me

nobody here is going to tell me that Wentz/Goff are much better than Mariota. I hate stat-picking, but let's look at stats for purpose of this conversation. It's the scheme. It's the gameplanning. Neither Philly/LAR are lightyears ahead of us in offensive talent. But look at how they score. And don't even mention the LAR-Minny game from Sunday cuz that's clown ish

1 hour ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

Couldn't agree more that the game has passed this entire staff by. Mularkey is too conservative, and the scheme that Lebeau runs would be great against the offense that Robiskie runs...circa 1993. 

I know many feel that Lebeau's defense is good and just lacks a pass rusher...just like every other bad defense. I think he has lost the feel for the game, of Mularkey has handcuffed him too much, either way we get way too conservative on 3rd and long. I know we play decent vs bad offenses but any good or better QB will just completely destroy our defense. 

A conservative coach will never get us where we need to be. So tired of being in 3rd and 8 because we have to run on first down against an eight man box. Marcus doesn't get a pass here but at some point you have to have the ability to change the play to get into something better. Our offense consists of either running or throwing a pass 20 yards down field. 

I am a Michigan fan and was super excited to have Harbaugh, but I have quickly realized that he will never win a National Championship because of the conservative offense he runs. The conservative style offense will never score enough to beat elite teams, in the pros it is more realistic to win a SB, but dominate defenses winning a SB is much more of an outlier. 

I know I am all over the map but I get frustrated at the thought of wasting the really good QB we have and running an offense that does nothing to develop him or showcase his strongest abilities...beside running. 

?? Someone that gets what I been saying. To tell the truth I honestly believe the only reason most want him to stay, is because we’ve been losing for so long & at the bottom, that mularkey has turned things around quickly, fair I’ll give him his credit. However I’ve seen this before wit Jeff fisher & what do we have to show for it. I want a coach like Pete Carroll, mike Tomlin, mike macarthy,  Sean Payton now granted they haven’t been as dominant because drew Bree’s contract had them in salary hell, but belcheick coaches that win games year & year out with a franchise QB. Marcus has the ability but I don’t see him reaching his full potential playing for a conservative simple minded 1 dimensional  HC.. 

41 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I genuinely do wonder, though, how much power JRob truly has when it comes to evaluating Mularkey and decision making around keeping him/canning him. This is Amy Adams' guy. Which is a terrible, terrible way to run a team. But it is what it is.

I've been thinking about this a lot too. I'm sure that it'll probably take us longer than we'd like to ultimately make a decision on Mularkey's future just because of the back and forth that will go on between Amy and JRob. Amy loves Mularkey, and I think it'll be real hard for her to sign off on letting him go. My guess after this year is that we'll give Mularkey an extension after a 9-7 10-6 finish to avoid the lame duck status and a lot of Titania will explode. xD

i kinda want JRob to can Mularkey just so I, as a fan, can have peace of mind that Amy Adams isn't in charge of making these kinds of football decisions. I'm losing more and more faith in the coaching staff, specifally regarding the O, as the season goes on.

4 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

i kinda want JRob to can Mularkey just so I, as a fan, can have peace of mind that Amy Adams isn't in charge of making these kinds of football decisions. I'm losing more and more faith in the coaching staff, specifally regarding the O, as the season goes on.

Yeah there's no doubt JRob should be in complete control of all football decisions especially one as big as Head Coach, and for the sake of our franchise I hope that he is. Amy doesn't strike me as a meddling owner, and I think that if JRob says that he thinks we should move on then she'll support it.  I said it earlier in the year too that I think Mularkey's contract situation looms large in this whole deal. If we don't give him an extension after this year things could get messy with him not wanting to coach under the lame duck status.  It'll be virtually impossible for him to attract new coaches under his current contract, and I'm sure that will be a discussion at the end of the year.

1 minute ago, SerenityNow said:

Yeah there's no doubt JRob should be in complete control of all football decisions especially one as big as Head Coach, and for the sake of our franchise I hope that he is. Amy doesn't strike me as a meddling owner, and I think that if JRob says that he thinks we should move on then she'll support it.  I said it earlier in the year too that I think Mularkey's contract situation looms large in this whole deal. If we don't give him an extension after this year things could get messy with him not wanting to coach under the lame duck status.  It'll be virtually impossible for him to attract new coaches under his current contract, and I'm sure that will be a discussion at the end of the year.

Where is @KingTitan's "guy of a guy" when you need him?!

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Lol. I think they will give him a new deal if we make the playoffs. Maybe 2 year extension, making it a 3 year deal. 

I do think we could see a change on the offensive side and the staff. 

It's time to move on from robiskie. My biggest worry with mike, though, is that his replacement OC is going to be another dinosaur

i like your point that MM is more of a CEO type. He needs to show some willingness to adapt his philosophies, though, and enter the 21st century 

15 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Where's Norm Chow at these days?

Fun fact about your old pal deeluxx3: I've convinced friends that I am the reason norm chow lost his job here because I was the first person on FF and GoTitans forum to start trashing him

ironically, Floyd Reese recently alluded to the idea that losing Chow was the worst thing that could've happened to my best friend VY. So I basically ruined my own life in the worst way

26 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

It's time to move on from robiskie. My biggest worry with mike, though, is that his replacement OC is going to be another dinosaur

i like your point that MM is more of a CEO type. He needs to show some willingness to adapt his philosophies, though, and enter the 21st century 

Serious question.  
What makes our offense "pre-historic?"  I mean it's not like we running the Wing T or Wishbone. 
We run a lot shotgun, spread, read-option.... all modern formations. 

Maybe the run first approach? Does that make it prehistoric? Or is it simply the age of the one calling the plays?

I mean I see a lot of formations that are run by a lot of teams.  Maybe not with the frequency we do, but still same formations.  Like we run a lot of 2 TE sets, but I've seen teams like the Patriots, Chiefs, and even Rams run some the same formations. Again not as frequent as we do though...

So serious...can someone give examples of what makes our offense so "dated" in the minds of a lot people?

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Serious question.  
What makes our offense "pre-historic?"  I mean it's not like we running the Wing T or Wishbone. 
We run a lot shotgun, spread, read-option.... all modern formations. 

Maybe the run first approach? Does that make it prehistoric? Or is it simply the age of the one calling the plays?

I mean I see a lot of formations that are run by a lot of teams.  Maybe not with the frequency we do, but still same formations.  Like we run a lot of 2 TE sets, but I've seen teams like the Patriots, Chiefs, and even Rams run some the same formations. Again not as frequent as we do though...

So serious...can someone give examples of what makes our offense so "dated" in the minds of a lot people?

Admittedly, this is where I play the "I'm just a frustrated fan!" card because I am neither a historian nor an OC,

but it's likely the obsession with the run, too many condensed sets (that said, I couldn't tell you if that was the norm in 1970), lack of speed, jumbo sets in places of the field where we shouldn't be trotting out 6 linemen plus TEs

Archived