Leveon Bell takes Instagram shot at Andy Reid

y*so*blu

Everybody jokes about Reid's weight, including Reid himself. But most also give him credit for being a great coach. I think Leveon is just bitter. If I missed out on as much money as he did, I'd be bitter too.

One thing few people talk about, when ribbing Bell for turning down $70 mil, is that only a fraction of that deal was guaranteed--a fraction so small that it was no better than another franchise tag. At a time when other great backs were getting far more up front, Bell thought he deserved better. And maybe he was right at the time, but ownership didn't agree and his teammates didn't support him. In fact they went out of their way to be unsupportive. Flemlo Raps points out in his latest vid about Bell:

"They raided this man's locker and posted it on social media. Some tried to pass it off as a joke, but this is clearly malicious[...] a lot of snakes in this locker room, straight up."

In retrospect it's a bad look for the Steelers' culture at the time. But Bell has done himself no favors since he left, making one bad decision after another.

Edited by y*so*blu

On 6/16/2021 at 5:25 PM, SkippyX said:

Bell was a system dude who was easily replaced by multiple players.

• Great O-line
  • Top end QB
  • Great WR with a solid supporting cast of receivers.
  • Good system
  • Wow, he had room to make plays, he must be a star!
    • His signature move was waiting for the Pittsburgh O-line to maul some defenders and then running though empty space.

When NY and KC expected him to have any kind of even average NFL level talent, they quickly found out he did not.

His subpar attitude fits his subpar skillset perfectly.

This is a harsh way of saying it, but I kind of felt this way about Bell when he was with the Steelers as well.  His versatility allowed him to get a ton of touches and a ton of yards, but he never seemed like a game breaker to me.  Maybe he was better than I remembered, I can't find stats of him from those years like 20+ yard runs or yards after contact.  I don't think somebody like Bell has comparable value to a back that can house it anytime they touch the ball, or turn mediocre blocking into big gains, or can crank out some 1st downs against an 8 man front to keep the lead in the 4th quarter.

Losing a step has something to do with his falloff, but I think the Steelers made a correct assessment on the value of the talent that was there.

That take might be kind of light on analytics and heavy on the bro science, but that's just how I think about it.