Dan Marino in 2017

Hunter2_1

If Marino was drafted in the 2010's, how do you think he'd be doing in today's NFL?

He absolutely tore my team up in the 80s and 90s, as well as many others'. He was hamstrung slightly by a less passer-friendly league at the time and his team often couldn't pull through; for example when Marino had his best defenses, they gave up an average 36.8 points in the playoffs. He only played with one hall of famer,  and he didn't trust the running game at all. The joke in the team was he never audibled to a running play - and that has the mark of truth. Did he have a great running back? No, not really ever. 

So, the records and stats;

Still Standing

Most seasons leading league, completions: 6 (1984–86, 1988, 1992, 1997)

100 touchdown passes in fewest number of games to start career: 44 (9/7/1986 at San Diego)

200 touchdown passes in fewest number of games to start career: 89 (9/17/1989 at New England)

Former Records

Most yards passing, Season: 5,084, in 1984 (surpassed by Drew Brees in 2011 with 5,476; as of 2015 season, now 6th all time)

Most fourth-quarter comeback wins, career (playoffs included): 36 

Most touchdown passes, season: 48 in 1984 

Most consecutive seasons, 3,000 or more yards passing: 9

40,000 career passing yards in fewest number of games to start career: 153

etc etc, the former records go on for days.

Personally, I think he'd be ridiculous in today's NFL, with even an average offense around him. 

58 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If Marino was drafted in the 2010's, how do you think he'd be doing in today's NFL?

He absolutely tore my team up in the 80s and 90s, as well as many others'. He was hamstrung slightly by a less passer-friendly league at the time and his team often couldn't pull through; for example when Marino had his best defenses, they gave up an average 36.8 points in the playoffs. He only played with one hall of famer,  and he didn't trust the running game at all. The joke in the team was he never audibled to a running play - and that has the mark of truth. Did he have a great running back? No, not really ever. 

So, the records and stats;

Still Standing

Most seasons leading league, completions: 6 (1984–86, 1988, 1992, 1997)

100 touchdown passes in fewest number of games to start career: 44 (9/7/1986 at San Diego)

200 touchdown passes in fewest number of games to start career: 89 (9/17/1989 at New England)

Former Records

Most yards passing, Season: 5,084, in 1984 (surpassed by Drew Brees in 2011 with 5,476; as of 2015 season, now 6th all time)

Most fourth-quarter comeback wins, career (playoffs included): 36 

Most touchdown passes, season: 48 in 1984 

Most consecutive seasons, 3,000 or more yards passing: 9

40,000 career passing yards in fewest number of games to start career: 153

etc etc, the former records go on for days.

Personally, I think he'd be ridiculous in today's NFL, with even an average offense around him. 

The NFL was a significantly less passer-friendly league during Marino's peak years, I would use the term slightly to describe the 2003 NFL as compared with today. After the AFC TG, the league clamped down even more on receiver contact. In Marino's era, QBs were less protected, receivers redirected easier, player safety rules weren't in effect, and it was more difficult to draw a defensive pass interference penalty. A player of his immense talent with the incredible release would thrive today. In terms of the playoffs, Miami's lack of a strong running game and defense really affected how far the Dolphins were going to advance. It's revealing to note the lack of AFC TG appearances by that franchise since Marino retired.   

12 minutes ago, everlong said:

Probably no difference. He would still put up pretty numbers and ultimately fail in the playoffs.

I think his numbers would be a lot better. He had a lot of average years in terms of QBR rating in the 80s and 90s

1 hour ago, everlong said:

Probably no difference. He would still put up pretty numbers and ultimately fail in the playoffs.

Disagree, this is why those numbers are so impressive, guys could choke slam players in coverage, and literally knock guys out to separate them from the ball. Now you can't even tough them without them getting called for a penalty, just imagine what would happen if he had those rules.

I view Marino as the best thrower of the football ever, however, I am not one of those fans that would say he consistently throw over 50 Touchdowns and 6000 yards every year. Now his peak season would have been something like 50 something touchdowns and he would have approached 6000 yards. Nevertheless, I see him being similar to the other top QBs of today. 

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Anyone in your family or anything ever talk about him? 

I mean, I've seen game clips, drives, highlights, but that's not truly watching him.

The person from whom I inherited my Dolphins fandom would always talk about his release and how he never had a defense.

The notion that Marino had to carry the Dolphins in all 17 seasons he played is a myth. The Dolphins were coming off a Super Bowl appearance when they drafted him.

As I've said, he would put up pretty numbers in this era, but Marino failed to succeed in the playoffs because he simply wasn't a big game quarterback. Anyone who would take him over Joe is lying to themselves.

18 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

The NFL was a significantly less passer-friendly league during Marino's peak years, I would use the term slightly to describe the 2003 NFL as compared with today. After the AFC TG, the league clamped down even more on receiver contact. In Marino's era, QBs were less protected, receivers redirected easier, player safety rules weren't in effect, and it was more difficult to draw a defensive pass interference penalty. A player of his immense talent with the incredible release would thrive today. In terms of the playoffs, Miami's lack of a strong running game and defense really affected how far the Dolphins were going to advance. It's revealing to note the lack of AFC TG appearances by that franchise since Marino retired.   

The NFL was a run first league in Marino's prime, but the reason they never made the SB under his QBing was put simply by Jimmy Johnson, the ex HC of the SB Cowboys, who took over as HC of Miami.

The first thing Jimmy did was talk to his new QB about running the ball a lot more so they could compete for SB's, but Johnson ,just could not convince Marino to change his style of QBing for the sake of a better team. According to Johnson, almost every time he called for a running play, Marino would simply change the call at the line of scrimmage to a pass and no matter how much Jimmy tried to convince Marino that that style of play could not produce championships, Marino continue to refuse to make any changes in how he played QB.

Johnson soon retired rather than put up with Marino!!!

Marino would be great in today's game where passing completely dominates, probably far more effective than his was in his own era, but that stubbornness IMO, would still limit him even today.

Archived