Dan Marino in 2017

Hunter2_1

9 minutes ago, lionslicer said:

Thanks for adding so much to the conversation. What a riveting reply. I almost had to stand up and give you an applause for such insight. I have a new outlook on football now thanks to this reply. 

Your original analysis didn't deserve anything more. 

But if you'd like to talk football and breakdown some tape of the defenses Marino faced I'd oblige. 

24 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Your original analysis didn't deserve anything more. 

But if you'd like to talk football and breakdown some tape of the defenses Marino faced I'd oblige. 

You could have, I don't know, gave an actual rebuttal. Also, if you happen to have game film from the 80's that isn't just broadcast film, I'd be happy to watch it with you, because I highly doubt you have hundreds of hours of film of defenses Marino faced. Seems more like you disagree with my opinion (which I agree, probably is a terrible opinion filled with pretty sketchy analysis) and couldn't come up with a way to disprove anything I said, got frustrated and replied with a reaction image. 

22 minutes ago, lionslicer said:

You could have, I don't know, gave an actual rebuttal. Also, if you happen to have game film from the 80's that isn't just broadcast film, I'd be happy to watch it with you, because I highly doubt you have hundreds of hours of film of defenses Marino faced. 

My "rebuttal" was made in my OP to this thread.

I've still got a VCR for a dozen or so random collegiate and NFL coaches film copies on betacam tape from the 80's and early 90's, but this would obviously have to be done over youtube with the broadcast view. Obviously not ideal, but resources are limited. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/6/2017 at 3:21 PM, lionslicer said:

You can watch the entire 1985 game where the Dolphins beat the 85 Bears in the regular season and see how he performs against one of the greatest defenses of all time. It's an interesting look into history being able to watch that game in it's entirely. 

I didn't start watching football regularly until 2004, but I have watched a number of Marino games via Youtube and back when NFL Network actually showed old game film. The one thing I'm always surprised when I watch Marino is generally how mediocre he is at reading defenses (at least early in his career, he got smarter later on) and generally how average his accuracy was. He could have pinpoint accuracy, and then the next play throws a ball that wildly misses the receiver. He also took chances a lot, which would lead to incompletions. But regardless, his accuracy was an issue. 

And in terms of playing in today's NFL, his lack of defensive reading ability I think would hinder him. Not to say Marino  was stupid and couldn't read defenses at all, but he would throw into double coverage a lot or completely miss open receivers because of a hole in the zone, sometimes would throw into tight coverage, etc. He was very similar to Favre in that his arm was so good, he could squeeze the ball into ridiculously tight coverage regularly, which also lead to him throwing a lot of interceptions

So taking all of this into consideration, I think he'd still be great, because he's Dan Marino, but he wouldn't put up like 6000 yards and 60 touchdowns. Not being able to read defenses well and taking chances throwing into tight coverage today would bite him in the butt more often than not today because of the complexities of defenses today. Marino wasn't as unstoppable as some people seem to think. 

I was lucky enough to see Dan Marino at Pitt, and with the Dolphins, and yes, he would definitely feast on defenses under today's rules. He was a gunslinger, and while there were more accurate QBs, that gunslinger mentality made him extremely dangerous. And you wouldn't want to change what made him great, just like Terry Bradshaw would have been a poor fit playing for Bill Walsh And while the game has become more complicated since his era, I have no doubt about Marino's ability to digest a modern playbook. And under today's more open passing environment, Mark Duper and Mark Clayton would be more lethal as well.

On 11/6/2017 at 3:21 PM, lionslicer said:

You can watch the entire 1985 game where the Dolphins beat the 85 Bears in the regular season and see how he performs against one of the greatest defenses of all time. It's an interesting look into history being able to watch that game in it's entirely. 

I didn't start watching football regularly until 2004, but I have watched a number of Marino games via Youtube and back when NFL Network actually showed old game film. The one thing I'm always surprised when I watch Marino is generally how mediocre he is at reading defenses (at least early in his career, he got smarter later on) and generally how average his accuracy was. He could have pinpoint accuracy, and then the next play throws a ball that wildly misses the receiver. He also took chances a lot, which would lead to incompletions. But regardless, his accuracy was an issue. 

And in terms of playing in today's NFL, his lack of defensive reading ability I think would hinder him. Not to say Marino  was stupid and couldn't read defenses at all, but he would throw into double coverage a lot or completely miss open receivers because of a hole in the zone, sometimes would throw into tight coverage, etc. He was very similar to Favre in that his arm was so good, he could squeeze the ball into ridiculously tight coverage regularly, which also lead to him throwing a lot of interceptions

So taking all of this into consideration, I think he'd still be great, because he's Dan Marino, but he wouldn't put up like 6000 yards and 60 touchdowns. Not being able to read defenses well and taking chances throwing into tight coverage today would bite him in the butt more often than not today because of the complexities of defenses today. Marino wasn't as unstoppable as some people seem to think. 

I’ve been saying this for 20 years.

Favre gets all the crap for being the “gunslinger” who makes terrible decisions and trusted his arm to much but Marino and him were very alike in that regard 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived