You are now a Board Member....vote and discuss....

vegas492

Board Member Vote....  

44 members have voted

1. 1. As a Board Member, I vote to.....

• Can Murphy to get Rodgers back into the organization. Choosing Rodgers over Murphy.
    • Choosing Murphy over Rodgers.
    • Neither. As a Board Member, I'm too busy with 8 different mom's of posters from this site to be bothered.

I was just curious as to how people would vote and what their rationale would be.

I too side with Murphy.  I don't really like him, but he's done nothing wrong.  Neither has Ball, neither has MLF.  Rodgers is acting like a child right now.

Maybe it is "fixable" as Kuhn, Jones and others have stated.  But if that "fix" including canning anyone in power, it's an easy pass for me.

I'll take losing a few more games this year.  I'll even take flat out sucking this year versus giving into Rodgers demands, if that including firing someone.

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

Without googling it, list Mark Murphy's top 5 job responsibilities

I'm pretty convinced you can't, BUT - if you can, I want you to then list other NFL team presidents that do those tasks better, and why.

Numbers one through 5 have to be profitability of the organization.

6 minutes ago, Pugger said:

The Board shouldn't be involved.  This was the problem before Harlan was President - the BOD stuck there collective noses into football operations after Lombardi left and the team floundered for years.

The board got involved to determine Lombardis contract issues after he retired from coaching and was the Packer GM and wanted to leave for Washington.

The Board really started getting involved in football operations after the Hadl trade fiasco by Devine.  

Just now, incognito_man said:

Yup. He's a rare one in that he's an accomplished businessman and footballman. That's exceedingly rare. We're very lucky to have him.

Not disagreeing with that at all.  He's hired very good people to run the football side of things.  He's evolved the Packer brand.

Just to be devil's advocate, I voted can Murphy, keep Rodgers. 

I'm not saying Murphy has been in the wrong and that Rodgers is in the right, or that it's what normal organizations or leadership structures should do or any of that big-picture management stuff.  

But this is the NFL.  It has specific seasons, it has specific windows of opportunity for teams.  And I'm a fan, so I'm saying the primary mission of the Packers is to win football games.  (Making revenue is a lesser priority, and it follows from the higher priority anyway.).   

1.  Murphy is replaceable, and there is no urgency to replace him.  If the organization had a vacancy at Murphy's job for the next 18 months, the Packers chances to win games, it's primary mission, won't be compromised one bit.

2.  The team has a specific season coming up very quickly, and a season with a real window of opportunity to win a LOT of games and to perhaps get to a conference championship or even a Super Bowl.  None of those goals will be achieved this year without Rodgers; all of them might perhaps be achieved without Murphy.  

I'm not at all suggesting that Murphy is wrong and Rodgers is right.  But there are 30 teams, Super Bowl chances don't come often or easily.  Given the primary mission of the Packers, I'd not like to waste one of those chances.  

Murphy is a highly respected member in  NFL circles.  He's was at Godell's side throughout the CBA negotiations.  I think Murphys advice and counsel are valuable to the NFL offices.  I would not be surprised to see him in the NFL offices after his time in GB.  

I see the other view as well, but I think he's more valuable to the Packers in NFL circles than we know.

My opinion has been consistent.   In this event we tell Rodg he can suit up or retire.  Period.

The only thing that changes that is IF we get a boatload of compensation via trade.  He would only be traded on teams terms.

Not only has Murph done nothing wrong you NEVER let any player dictate such things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Without googling it, list Mark Murphy's top 5 job responsibilities

I'm pretty convinced you can't, BUT - if you can, I want you to then list other NFL team presidents that do those tasks better, and why.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Numbers one through 5 have to be profitability of the organization.

There ya go. 

There’s a ton of business people to do Murphy’s job. 

It’s a false choice but in no way is Mark Murphy more valuable than AR and if that is the line in the sand for AR, then I’d say goodbye Murph. 

If you’re more concerned about the business end more than winning a SB, which I’m CONVINCED you are, then idk , have fun. 

The precedent you would set alone by firing a competent or otherwise GM or any other FO employee because a player said you must is beyond detrimental to the team and franchise.  It is idiotic.

Tell the 38 year old whiner to set sail and enjoy his retirement.

Edited by 15412