Bears make offer to buy Arlington Racecourse

malagabears

30 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

A pure outdoor arena just doesnt make sense financially.  With a retractable roof you get 365 usage out of a bldg that is probably going to cost $3B+  You can open the roof during the early fall and enjoy all the outdoor benefits, and you dont just get a one off superbowl, you get into the permanent rotation.

I say that tongue in cheek. Clearly it'd be retractable to make up for the price sooner rather than later but I just wish it would be outdoors. I like having warm weather or dome teams come outdoors in November and Decemver

BTW no guarantee for a permanent rotation. Indy, Minneapolis, Detroit, etc have never gotten into the rotation. I think it'll stay Miami, Tampa, Arizona, Houston, LA, maybe even SF with a random year for Chicago

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Having a site for a stadium would also make them more valuable to a new buyer of the team if that rumor is true.

Soldier Field keeps the Bears from being the most valuable franchise in the league. A deep pocketed owner that can get a 2 billion stadium built would be rivaling the Cowboys for overall team value.

Maybe Bezos will buy ;)

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

A pure outdoor arena just doesnt make sense financially.  With a retractable roof you get 365 usage out of a bldg that is probably going to cost $3B+  You can open the roof during the early fall and enjoy all the outdoor benefits, and you dont just get a one off superbowl, you get into the permanent rotation.

I am probably in the minority but a stadium similar to Minnesota's or Atlanta would be great for the Bears.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I am probably in the minority but a stadium similar to Minnesota's or Atlanta would be great for the Bears.

This is exactly what i was coming to say. both those stadiums are state of the art - atl with a retractable roof, minnesota completely domed. ATL cost $1.6B and Min was $1.1B. I say you could probably do something around $1.5B, then spend another billion developing the surrounding area with bars, restaurants, other concert venues, and office buildings like they did in LA

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

This is exactly what i was coming to say. both those stadiums are state of the art - atl with a retractable roof, minnesota completely domed. ATL cost $1.6B and Min was $1.1B. I say you could probably do something around $1.5B, then spend another billion developing the surrounding area with bars, restaurants, other concert venues, and office buildings like they did in LA

It would put the Bears in the position they deserve to be in--right near the Cowboys, at the top of the league. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Why would you be in the minority? It would be awesome. 

Just because I think a lot of the fan base is to stuck in the past and don’t want much to change. For them it’s an out door stadium or it’s a bad idea. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

BTW no guarantee for a permanent rotation. Indy, Minneapolis, Detroit, etc have never gotten into the rotation. I think it'll stay Miami, Tampa, Arizona, Houston, LA, maybe even SF with a random year for Chicago

I beg to differ. I hear your thinking about warm-weather cities being very attractive but Indy, Minneapolis, Detroit are not world-class cities with world -class infrastructure. Chicago is bigger than all of the warm-weather places except LA and would be a phenomenal draw. Its easy to get here and people like coming here. If we had the right stadium setup, I think Chicago could be the perfect "cold-weather alternative" on the SB rotation.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, IotaNet said:

Really? And why is "she" a large reason they are considering moving?

I am sure she is not a large reason, but as I understand it they city hasn’t really wanted to work with the Bears on finding a site in the city for them to build a new stadium.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I am sure she is not a large reason, but as I understand it they city hasn’t really wanted to work with the Bears on finding a site in the city for them to build a new stadium.

That's my point.  The issues that the Bears have with the city of Chicago far predate Lori Lightfoot. As a Chicago native born & raised, I know that there are far more pressing issues there than placating the Chicago Bears. Lightfoot is a fan and a season ticker holder but the political, logistical, and financial problems of fixing the Bears' stadium issues within the Chicago city limits are the culmination of a lot of previous decisions and are probably insurmountable.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I was waiting for this.  

She is probably a large reason they are considering moving to be honest.  

She is the worst. It's hard to be the worst mayor of Chicago in history but here we are. 

Also, the Bears were "relevant" past October 2 out of the 3 years. Good call, Beetlejuice.

Hoge and Jahns show had some good points on this today.

Big take away is Arlington property is huge and convenient to get to and Bears would own it rather than City owning it.

Bears would be stupid not to do it.   I think it is a done deal barring unforeseen events.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IotaNet said:

Really? And why is "she" a large reason they are considering moving?

Site rules would prohibit me from laying that case out.     

But I will say she isn't the reason.  Just a factor.

The main reason is money, ownership, control and long term value of franchise.