Bears make offer to buy Arlington Racecourse

malagabears

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Big take away is Arlington property is huge and convenient to get to and Bears would own it rather than City owning it.

Here's something to consider.

I have lived in Minnesota for the last 17 years and I am a short distance from the Vikings' new HQ/Practice facility. I'm not suggesting that the Bears should leave Halas Hall but I'd like you to look at the HQ/practice facility/hotel/residence space that Vikings have built (and are continuing to build) on 200 acres: https://www.explorevikinglakes.com/

Now -- Imagine that "writ large" as a full-blown stadium and mixed-use development on 326 acres in Arlington Heights.

LOTS of possibilities.

Edited by IotaNet

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Hoge and Jahns show had some good points on this today.

Big take away is Arlington property is huge and convenient to get to and Bears would own it rather than City owning it.

Bears would be stupid not to do it.   I think it is a done deal barring unforeseen events.

It may be convenient when you`re only talking about 30,000 to 50,000 people going to the races or a concert but 90,000+ people  on 53 even with the Metra stop sound challenging unless the state  comes through with some infrastructure improvements. That  may prove  challaning unless whoever is the mayor gets a bone or two. 

20 minutes ago, Bfan said:

It may be convenient when you`re only talking about 30,000 to 50,000 people going to the races or a concert but 90,000+ people  on 53 even with the Metra stop sound challenging unless the state  comes through with some infrastructure improvements. That  may prove  challaning unless whoever is the mayor gets a bone or two. 

I don't understand. How is it worse, logistically, than Soldier Field? 

25 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't understand. How is it worse, logistically, than Soldier Field? 

I have only been there few times but it seems like almost no one actually drives to Soldier field, probably due to limited parking.  It seems most people either take CTA shuttles or walk from near by L stations. I am assuming Arlington will not have the same alternate infrastructure.  Besides part of the attraction of Arlington is lots of room for parking, and tailgating, but that takes good roads.

Since lots of state legislators come from Chicago and the down state Republicans will likely not want to spend the money that gives the powers in Chicago leverage.  Time to find a back room and lots of cigars🙄

Edited by Bfan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I was waiting for this.  

She is probably a large reason they are considering moving to be honest.  

Mayor Beetlejuice has to get her two cents in. 

On a happier note, it would be great if the Bears had a facility that could host the draft on a regular basis.  I'd love to go down to Chicago for the draft.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Bfan said:

I have only been there few times but it seems like almost no one actually drives to Soldier field, probably due to limited parking.  It seems most people either take CTA shuttles or walk from near by L stations. I am assuming Arlington will not have the same alternate infrastructure.  Besides part of the attraction of Arlington is lots of room for parking, and tailgating, but that takes good roads.

Since lots of state legislators come from Chicago and the down state Republicans will likely not want to spend the money that gives the powers in Chicago leverage.  Time to find a back room and lots of cigars🙄

That's the problem w/ assuming the Arlington International racecourse property has waaaaay better public transportation setup.  There is a metra station right across the street from the property.  Even people in the city can take an Express train from union station right to that station.  The property is 326 acres compared to 7 acres for soldier field.  The reason why people are talking about the parking is bc the Bears can make the parking lot(s) as big as they want, and the property has very easy access to the highways.  The only thing soldier field has over the property is that it's in a really cool location on the lakefront.  That's really it.  The CPD owns Soldier field, the Bears will own a new stadium.  There is no more room for expansion on the lakefront, there is 326 acres available for development however the Bears want at the property.  The property is HALF the distance from HH as Soldier field.  This was an incredibly logical move and I would wager by the end of 2023 the Bears will break ground on their new stadium in Arlington.

• Like 2

Soldier Field is cool in a retro and historic way.  I drive by it almost daily and do enjoy it's presence on the Lake Front, so naturally I'd prefer they stay, but this seems like a no-brainer for the Bears. More profit, more control. Take a couple loans at <checks interest rates> hahaha, take all the loans right now and build a stadium with the capacity to seat all of India. 

I don't think the Mayor had anything to do with this one way or the other, but I do find it absolutely hilarious that she's managed to insert herself into yet another situation in which she'll almost certainly take a huge "L".  Her one achievement has been to somehow make both the cops and teachers hate her guts at the same time which I didn't think was possible. If there was an inter-galactic rake-stepping championship she'd for sure make the finals. If you have a tense family gathering tomorrow in which you're worried about politics making it acrimonious; just bring up Lori and your racist old Uncle will be singing Kumbaya with your communist niece in five minutes. 

• Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 7:47 AM, dll2000 said:

I don't get it. Lightfoot doesn't know the team can still be called the "Chicago Bears" is they move to Arlington Heights? She's a season ticket holder, and a longtime Bears fan...but she doesn't know how the NFL works? The Jets and Giants don't even play in NEW YORK for cryin' out loud...

On 6/18/2021 at 9:51 AM, IotaNet said:

I beg to differ. I hear your thinking about warm-weather cities being very attractive but Indy, Minneapolis, Detroit are not world-class cities with world -class infrastructure. Chicago is bigger than all of the warm-weather places except LA and would be a phenomenal draw. Its easy to get here and people like coming here. If we had the right stadium setup, I think Chicago could be the perfect "cold-weather alternative" on the SB rotation.

Absolutely! Chicago is a wonderful city with beautiful architect; friendly people; and great restaurants.  It being such a thriving and lively place is why I became a Bears fan!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

… Take a couple loans at <checks interest rates> hahaha, take all the loans right now and build a stadium with the capacity to seat all of India …

This is a huge consideration. Money is SO CHEAP right now that it’s a perfect time for  securing financing.

• Like 1

I’m all about the possibility of them building at Arlington. I don’t live in the city, so going to SF is a giant pain in the *** for me. Driving is a complete non-starter for me so it’s an hour on Metra, a walk from Ogilvie to the L to Roosevelt then a 15-20 minute walk from there. Then the same in reverse to catch a 4:40 train (or 6:40 if the game runs long). All to watch a game in a stadium inside the shell of the stadium for which I have nostalgia. If and when I go to the game I just want the best overall experience and a climate controlled stadium in Arlington Heights definitely offers that better than SF.

That doesn’t even mention that a new stadium under complete team control almost certainly gets the team a better, faster playing surface and more noise to create a better home field advantage. We don’t need “Bear weather” - the NFL is a speed and passing game now and SF doesn’t accommodate well for either of those things. A stadium owned by the team and not the city drives revenues way up, making it easier for ownership to invest more heavily in the team too.

Yeah, so the arial shots of a stadium in Arlington Heights aren’t as pretty as those on the lake front. Big deal. A third of the league doesn’t play in the metropolis after which the team is named. Santa Clara isn’t San Francisco. Arlington TX isn’t Dallas. Landover MD isn’t D.C. Orchard Park NY isn’t Buffalo. Who cares? The portion of the fan base that benefits from the proximity of the stadium being in the city is far smaller than that which benefits with a bigger, better stadium in Arlington Heights. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That's the problem w/ assuming the Arlington International racecourse property has waaaaay better public transportation setup.  There is a metra station right across the street from the property.  Even people in the city can take an Express train from union station right to that station.  The property is 326 acres compared to 7 acres for soldier field.  The reason why people are talking about the parking is bc the Bears can make the parking lot(s) as big as they want, and the property has very easy access to the highways.  The only thing soldier field has over the property is that it's in a really cool location on the lakefront.  That's really it.  The CPD owns Soldier field, the Bears will own a new stadium.  There is no more room for expansion on the lakefront, there is 326 acres available for development however the Bears want at the property.  The property is HALF the distance from HH as Soldier field.  This was an incredibly logical move and I would wager by the end of 2023 the Bears will break ground on their new stadium in Arlington.

Don't get me wrong I think buying the property is a no brainer.  I also like the idea of building a new stadium there. I just believe it will be along hard road to get the stadium built.  Lots of politics and an even split of the politicians.  It will be a rare issue where the Chicago Democrats unite with the down state Republicans.🍿🍺

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m all about the possibility of them building at Arlington. I don’t live in the city, so going to SF is a giant pain in the *** for me. Driving is a complete non-starter for me so it’s an hour on Metra, a walk from Ogilvie to the L to Roosevelt then a 15-20 minute walk from there. Then the same in reverse to catch a 4:40 train (or 6:40 if the game runs long). All to watch a game in a stadium inside the shell of the stadium for which I have nostalgia. If and when I go to the game I just want the best overall experience and a climate controlled stadium in Arlington Heights definitely offers that better than SF.

That doesn’t even mention that a new stadium under complete team control almost certainly gets the team a better, faster playing surface and more noise to create a better home field advantage. We don’t need “Bear weather” - the NFL is a speed and passing game now and SF doesn’t accommodate well for either of those things. A stadium owned by the team and not the city drives revenues way up, making it easier for ownership to invest more heavily in the team too.

Yeah, so the arial shots of a stadium in Arlington Heights aren’t as pretty as those on the lake front. Big deal. A third of the league doesn’t play in the metropolis after which the team is named. Santa Clara isn’t San Francisco. Arlington TX isn’t Dallas. Landover MD isn’t D.C. Orchard Park NY isn’t Buffalo. Who cares? The portion of the fan base that benefits from the proximity of the stadium being in the city is far smaller than that which benefits with a bigger, better stadium in Arlington Heights. 

100% my feelings.

I am 15 minutes to train station driving.  Park.  Walk to station another 5 minutes.

Ride for an hour and 30.  Then walk to bus stop.  Wait for bus.   May have to wait for several as they are full.  Ride crowded bus to soldier field.   Repeat in reverse.

Or take car for 2+ hours depending on traffic (most of that time spent going super slow in city and close to field) and park (pay) and walk about 10 or 15 minutes.

Arlington cuts that down to a 15 minute drive to train and a roughly 20 minute train ride that drops me off right next to stadium.   They will probably do like Disney too and have a little train car that picks you up outside train drives you close to doors. (If they are smart).

Much more convenient.  Not to mention I am sitting in a climate controlled venue.

I have been to new Soldier Field 3x all in winter and let me tell you a lot people spend a lot of time indoors there watching game on TV.

I watched it outside because I like the all-22 eyeball view., but it does get quite cold.

On 6/19/2021 at 1:36 PM, Heinz D. said:

I don't get it. Lightfoot doesn't know the team can still be called the "Chicago Bears" is they move to Arlington Heights? She's a season ticket holder, and a longtime Bears fan...but she doesn't know how the NFL works? The Jets and Giants don't even play in NEW YORK for cryin' out loud...

she doens't know how anything works. she built her entire campaign on promises and things she was gonna do, and since she's been in office she realized she either can't do those things or is doing the exact opposite things she said she would

• Like 1