Patriots release K Roberto Aguayo

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I was trying to remember why I knew that name. That's right, it was the Bucs 2nd round Kicker reach lmao.

He never was good, right?

Was in college obviously to get picked that high but yeah professionally has sucked out loud his entire career 

Edited by Rodjahs12

He was beyond "good" in college. He graduated with 3 years playing plus a redshirt year. He was first team All American all three years, and won the Lou Groza award. In three years he never missed an extra point and his career field goal % is 88.X%. Combined FG+XP he's the most accurate ever I think? Daniel Carlson kinda took the mantel of "oh that kicker is awesome and for sure will make it in the NFL" but Carlson missed far more FGs. Roberto never missed under 40, and made 50+ yarders too. Roberto was awesome, but obviously hasn't panned out.

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I was trying to remember why I knew that name. That's right, it was the Bucs 2nd round Kicker reach lmao.

He never was good, right?

Not in the NFL. But he was excellent in College. Missed single digit kicks in his college career. Was expected to be Janokowski good in the NFL

Edited by wwhickok

In college he was obviously a headcase. I was shocked when he was drafted that high, given so much fragile emotion, which is not ideal for a kicker. I posted this stuff on Finheaven at the time, including that the UCLA kicker Fairbairn had better mechanics and initial height. Fairbairn hasn't been a world beater but at least a good kicker with room to improve

Edited by Awsi Dooger
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 6:22 PM, Trojan said:

He was beyond "good" in college. He graduated with 3 years playing plus a redshirt year. He was first team All American all three years, and won the Lou Groza award. In three years he never missed an extra point and his career field goal % is 88.X%. Combined FG+XP he's the most accurate ever I think? Daniel Carlson kinda took the mantel of "oh that kicker is awesome and for sure will make it in the NFL" but Carlson missed far more FGs. Roberto never missed under 40, and made 50+ yarders too. Roberto was awesome, but obviously hasn't panned out.

Was an overrated kicker coming out of college. Automatic inside 40, but he was meh outside of 40. And he didn't have a strong leg. Obviously, he panned out far worse than expected because he fell apart mentally. But I didn't see him becoming special in the NFL. Average NFL Kickers are close to automatic inside 40 yards.

Aguayo didn't miss often at Florida State but his body language and facial expressions were all wrong, whether he connected or missed. It screamed of a fragile psyche, which is exactly the opposite of what you want in a kicker. 

There were several sources that picked up on it. I remember the Bob McGinn series of scouting articles for the Packer site quoting scouts that Aguayo was vastly overrated and Fairbairn at least an equal prospect.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he was done with football after this offseason if he doesn’t get picked up and somehow win a kicking job.

Drafting him where we did was a classic overreaction to kicking game issues that didn’t get properly fixed until we signed Succop last year. At the time it was sold that he’d be automatic on FGs under 50 and could consistently land high hang time kick offs inside the 5, so he’d be a weapon on STs. We never attempted a so called “mortar kick” and we all know about his issues with FGs.

Overall, he seems like a good guy, but he just wasn’t able to cope with the pressure of his job in the pros. Being drafted as high as he was only made that exponentially worse.

On 6/19/2021 at 9:30 PM, jrry32 said:

Was an overrated kicker coming out of college. Automatic inside 40, but he was meh outside of 40. And he didn't have a strong leg. Obviously, he panned out far worse than expected because he fell apart mentally. But I didn't see him becoming special in the NFL. Average NFL Kickers are close to automatic inside 40 yards.

Overrated, sure. But his automatic under 40 and the ability to hit the low 50s he was clearly going to make it to the NFL. Most college games I watch I never feel like "oh this is an NFL kicker", but I did for Roberto and Daniel Carlson. Was surprised both were cut by the teams that drafted them quickly.