Jump to content

Bears sign Mike Pennel


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He is a very good run defender and has played well the last couple of seasons for the Chiefs.

 

They are not confident they will see Goldman in camp.

Maybe Tonga has been underwhelming off the bat. Either way I'm trying to figure out what his problem is. Did he not miss football last year? Is it contract related?

Edited by beardown3231
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pennel is a good player was in GB was in KC you'll like him. 

 

That being said, what the hell is going on with Goldman? You'd think after sitting out because of COVID he'd be chomping at the bit to get back out there.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Maybe Tonga has been underwhelming off the bat. Either way I'm trying to figure out what his problem is. Did he not miss football last year? Is it contract related?

NT is a hard spot for a rookie to start and play well. 
 

Pennel and Tonga give the Bears a couple of big physical run stuffers and then Hicks, Nichols and Edwards can rush the passer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

Pennel is a good player was in GB was in KC you'll like him. 

 

That being said, what the hell is going on with Goldman? You'd think after sitting out because of COVID he'd be chomping at the bit to get back out there.

I think he might be done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Wow. Didn't he just get paid? Talk about mailing it in.

I don’t know. He played well for 2 years of his extension.

The Bears get a ton of cap space back if he retires. 
 

It might be a better allocation of cap space. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t know. He played well for 2 years of his extension.

The Bears get a ton of cap space back if he retires. 
 

It might be a better allocation of cap space. 

Damn I really wonder what happened with him. BJ Raji lost his passion for the sport and retired at a pretty early age as well, I don't remember him being quite this young though. Will be interesting to see what he says about it if that's what he chooses to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bears get 30 million in cap space back over 3 years if he retires and they claw back into the signing bonus money for the retired years.

That could be used to pay Nichols, to upgrade the OL or in other spots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, G08 said:

This would suck but I'm worried it might be accurate. 

The DL is the one spot we can lose someone.

We still have a good DL without him.

Last year they didn’t have a NT when he left. Tonga and Pennel should at least be able to do the lunch pail work.

Nichols is the most important player now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not worried about pass rush. Nichols, Edwards, and Hicks are a really good 3 players combo.

I am worried about guys who can physically stop the run. We didn’t have that. Pennel traditionally has been a very good run defender and is a similar size to Goldman.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...