Bears sign Mike Pennel

beardown3231

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am not worried about pass rush. Nichols, Edwards, and Hicks are a really good 3 players combo.

I am worried about guys who can physically stop the run. We didn’t have that. Pennel traditionally has been a very good run defender and is a similar size to Goldman.

I think Goldman sitting out last season really hampered our run defense.

This season, with Desai calling the shots, we aren't going to have more than 7 in the box because the focus will be on coverage. Having someone like Eddie Goldman is huge (no pun intended) with that kind of an approach.

14 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Maybe Tonga has been underwhelming off the bat. Either way I'm trying to figure out what his problem is. Did he not miss football last year? Is it contract related?

Linemen haven't even done anything yet.   Its all shorts and t shirts.  

1 hour ago, G08 said:

This season, with Desai calling the shots, we aren't going to have more than 7 in the box because the focus will be on coverage. Having someone like Eddie Goldman is huge (no pun intended) with that kind of an approach.

I agree.   But are we getting 2019 Goldman is question.

We don't have answers right now only questions.  All we know is he sat out a year and still isn't here.   

A lot can happen to a large man in a year+ off football often either really good or really bad.   It's not sounding really good at moment.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

70% of the time we are in a 4-3.

I agree having a traditional NT is important for when we are in base and on early downs, but I think Pennel can handle the run portion of it at a much better cost.

We do not really use Goldman for pass rushing. He is the 4th best pass rusher on the team. We pay a lot of money for a guy who has sat out a year, no showed camp, and is likely a run down player.

If we ever get an offense that doesn't suck my guess is Goldman will play even less.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If we ever get an offense that doesn't suck my guess is Goldman will play even less.

From 2018:

“(Goldman) is an unsung hero,” Hicks said. “He’s eating up blocks in the middle for both ends, for both linebackers. Eddie has been doing that for a number of years. I know that he’s battled some adversity as far as playing throughout the season, but he’s strong — man, he’s strong — and he has a will to be there for us. I know he doesn’t get a lot of attention, but he’s a great player.”

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, G08 said:

From 2018:

“(Goldman) is an unsung hero,” Hicks said. “He’s eating up blocks in the middle for both ends, for both linebackers. Eddie has been doing that for a number of years. I know that he’s battled some adversity as far as playing throughout the season, but he’s strong — man, he’s strong — and he has a will to be there for us. I know he doesn’t get a lot of attention, but he’s a great player.”

I do not doubt that he is important.

But is he 11 million dollars important and non-replaceable?

We need to get cheaper on defense and there are not a ton of spots to trim. Who would you rather keep Nichols or Goldman?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Had an excellent first year for KC, changed the look of our defense by eating up so much space. His second year wasn't quite up to that level but I have no doubt he can be a solid run stuffer for y'all. Solid signing for sure.

Any reason why you didn't want him back?

1 hour ago, G08 said:

They signed Jarran Reed from Seattle to play the NT spot. He is better than Pennel.

Pennel is super 1 dimensional. No pass rush what so ever, but his 1 dimension is what we need.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Basically what @WindyCity said. Reed falling to us was a heck of a pick up, although he's going to take Chris Jones spot moreso, pushing CJ to DE more often and we got our big dude Nnadi and a young up and comer Turk Wharton on the inside. 

Basically we had no place for Big Mike as we have a lot of depth along the dline.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, G08 said:

This dude is not 336 lbs...

No, and he hasn't been ever since his rookie year.  The Bears have him listed at 318lbs.

Is it possible he dropped some weight over the last year and wanted to bulk up again before camp?

Compare him to John Jenkins.  Goldman is not fat.