Jaguars sign WR Laquon Treadwell

.Buzz

I like it.  He's obviously been a huge disappointment, but ehhh...he still has some traits and tools, and brings some size that's kinda lacking.  If he manages to be anything here, even just as a depth/rotational/situational piece...it's basically "found money".  I could see Urban managing to put him in a niche where he can have a little bit of success.  But if not...nothing really ventured, nbd.

I liked him an embarrassing amount coming out of the draft, despite some of the possible flags.  He's one of those ones where i still haven't altogether figured out what went wrong.  Maybe having him on the Jaguars will help me piece that together more definitively.  🤪

On 6/18/2021 at 4:32 PM, Chops013 said:

Don’t know if he’s playing or not but…

I mean, there’s situations and packages where its functionally not really any different between a “move TE” and just a big receiver out there. So sure...why not really?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 9:59 PM, Uncle Buck said:

This is kind of Treadwell's M.O.  He will spend the rest of the off season running up and down that "hill" and get into incredible shape.  Meanwhile, he will forget to read the playbook and learn the offense.  He's a hard worker and means well.  He just couldn't figure out how to direct his energies in ways that would make him a better player.

Yeah.  That sounds about right.  Kind of afraid that's the case.  It's really the biggest thing that would explain why his college play, and a lot of apparent hard work doesn't seem to have really "paid off" and translated as a Pro.  Can't really fault hard work, but working smart is always important too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

The one thing we can hope is that the change in coaching will help.  I'm sure Urban will give him more attention than Mike Zimmer did in Minnesota.  Zim is a defensive savant, but when it comes to the offense, I get the impression that he would rather not have to worry about it and would prefer if the OC could just handle that side of the ball.

Treadwell is a good athlete and has a good work ethic, but I suspect that he's not the sharpest bulb on the tree.  If Urban can reach him, maybe Treadwell can provide some return on our investment.  We'll see. 

Yeah.  I have some hope that the right coaching could help with guys like Treadwell.  I'm obviously basing this entirely on speculation and projection, because we don't really know what Urban is going to be as an NFL coach...But i get the impression that he's going to be more flexible in his approach to using players with more limited or niche skillsets.  Also the wildcard of Bevell coordinating things.  My primary exposure to him, has been Seattle's offense, where so much of everything seems to run through and be flavoured by what Russell Wilson does, improvising and running the unit through himself.  Difficult to read what that'll look like here.  Don't even really know how directly involved Urban will be, compared to his coordinators to begin with.

However...if Urban and his staff can sort of "compartmentalize" roles more, as you often see in the college game...limiting the routes, concepts, responsibilities expected of some players...you can potentially get quite a bit out of them.  Good "moneyball" bang for your buck.  It's tricky at the NFL level with pre-scouting and preparation what it is every week.  Disguising intentions with "niche role" players.  But it can be done...and sounds like they're already planning on utilizing some of that sort of concept with other players in the organization.  Using them uniquely, to their specific strengths.  And in that context, i could see someone like Treadwell having decent utility for us.  He does have at least flashes of the ability to do some specific things well, if you don't put a lot extra on his plate, or ask him to be something he's not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 11:59 PM, Uncle Buck said:

This is kind of Treadwell's M.O.  He will spend the rest of the off season running up and down that "hill" and get into incredible shape.  Meanwhile, he will forget to read the playbook and learn the offense.  He's a hard worker and means well.  He just couldn't figure out how to direct his energies in ways that would make him a better player.

While I agree with him not listening to coaching and utilizing the finer points that coaches were trying to teach him, he did know the play book.  He was where he was supposed to be he just had too many drops and lacks seperation.  I don't recall ever hearing he didn't know the plays, that was Cordarrell PAtterson that just didn't know where he was supposed to be or run good patterns.

Edited by rf54
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Here's some news on Laquon.  I was really hoping he would be back.  He and Trevor are friends off the field, and they seemed to be transferring that chemistry onto the field too.  The Vikings drafted him in the first round.  If he keeps improving, maybe he will be able to finally live up to that first round status.  I know he has a bit of work to do to get there, but he's going in the right direction, and he's an easy guy to cheer for!

I'm fine with it.  He was becoming a solid contributor.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Charles said:

I'm fine with it.  He was becoming a solid contributor.  

Yeah.  We poke fun because he was pushed way up the depth chart into a role he was never capable of making good on.  But he's a solid depth receiver, and if the connection is there...no reason to cycle in another depth guy who isn't any better, and force Trevor to re-learn chemistry for no reason.  Just keep the guy, and let him have that in his back pocket.  The cap number seems a bit high, but honestly who cares?  The salary cap is made up anyway and we have a billion extra room to begin with and nobody who wants to sign here either.