LDT a Finalist for a Major Humanitarian Award

onejayhawk

From ESPN's website. 

Muhammad Ali Sports Humanitarian Award presented by Dove Men+Care finalists: Anthony Rizzo (Chicago Cubs), Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (Kansas City Chiefs), Layshia Clarendon (Minnesota Lynx), Titus O’Neil (WWE)

Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year finalists: Atlanta Dream (WNBA), Denver Broncos (NFL), New York City FC (MLS), Toronto Blue Jays (MLB)

Corporate Community Impact Award finalists: AT&T, JPMorgan Chase, Microsoft, Vertex Pharmaceuticals

The Muhammad Ali Sports Humanitarian Award is given to an athlete whose continuous, demonstrated leadership has created a measured positive impact on their community through sports. The candidate must embrace the core principles that Muhammad Ali embodied so well, including confidence, conviction, dedication, giving and respect. 

Just for being a finalist, LDT gets to direct a $25K to a charity related to his work. LDT, a medical doctor, was the first player to opt out of the 2020 season, so that he could work in the COVID field. For a starting player with a new Super Bowl ring to go first, it made quite a statement. 

J

• 3 weeks later...

The Award will be presented this weekend. LDT gave an interview. 
https://www.espn.com/espys/story/_/page/MuhammadAliSportsHumanitarianAward-2021/super-bowl-champion-pandemic-orderly-laurent-duvernay-tardif-bigger-your-sport

At the beginning of the pandemic, I wanted to go back and help in a physician's role. I don't have my license to practice yet, so that was impossible to do. But I wanted to help however I could and that ended up being as a nurse/orderly in the facility. Basically, I would do everything my bosses wanted me to do. My duties ranged from feeding people, changing people, administering medicine, just caring for them however I could. I realized that no matter what I was doing, at the end of the day, taking care of someone is not about just treating them at all costs. It's about caring.

I never knew what I was walking into when I got to work each day. It was pretty hectic. Some days, there would be no issues. Other days, you'd get a patient with a runny nose and next thing you know there would be eight patients who tested positive. We had emergency red zones where positive patients would have to reside. It was hard. We lost a lot of patients. This past year really changed me.

J

LDT wins the award. Given that he gave up a year to help with COVID, it was a no-brainer. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/11/kansas-city-chiefs-2021-espys-laurent-duvernay-tardif-muhammad-ali-sports-humanitarian/

Duvernay-Tardif earned a $25,000 grant to a charity of his choice just by being a finalist for this ESPYs award. Now that he’s won the award he’ll receive an additional $100,000 donation to a charitable cause of his choosing, possibly the Laurent Duvernay-Tardif foundation, which encourages physical activity and creativity in children.

J