Ben Simmons officially asks to be traded

NYRaider

Should they trade Ben Simmons  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Trade him?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

76ers fall to 5th/7th in the East with this trade, but might be the best they can get.  If I am them I still would rather have Edwards, Beasley and Bev.  Heild helps more right now but not much more and Edwards has such a higher ceiling. 

There have been multiple reports that if Ben is going to end up in Minnesota it's going to have to be a multi team deal because the 76ers aren't interested in their players. 

ETA: When have we really ever seen a contending team trade their 2nd best player and receive a package that keeps them at the same level? Usually when All-Star / All-NBA players are traded the team that trades them receives young players and picks in return. The only exception to that in recent NBA history is DeRozan for Kawhi but that was a once in a life time type of situation. 

Edited by NYRaider

As a Wolves fan/writer, I wouldn’t do this trade. DLo and Beasly are the two best perimeter shooters on the team and Jaden McDaniels looks like the steal of the 2020 draft. I also don’t think the Sixers are interested in Russell. I think the Wolves big plan is to win with Simmons AND Russell together so I’ll propose this. The Timberwolves trade Malik Beasley, Jaden McDaniels, Taurean Prince, 2022 FRP, and 2024 FRP for Ben Simmons and Isaiah Joe.

The Wolves keep Russell, meanwhile the Sixers get extra pieces they can include in a trade once another star becomes available like Dame or Beal. Prince also cannot be traded until September 27th but teams could agree in principle. 

Wolves fans think they're landing Ben without giving up DL or Edwards, lol.

Wolves receive: Ben Simmons

76ers receive: Malik Beasley, Patrick Beverly, Jaden McDaniels, 2022 1st, 2024 1st, 2026 1st 

That deal works financially but couldn't happen until October 16th since Beverly was recently just traded. That's the package that the Wolves beat writers want the team to offer for Simmons, lol. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Wolves receive: Ben Simmons

76ers receive: Malik Beasley, Patrick Beverly, Jaden McDaniels, 2022 1st, 2024 1st, 2026 1st 

That deal works financially but couldn't happen until October 16th since Beverly was recently just traded. That's the package that the Wolves beat writers want the team to offer for Simmons, lol. 

I'd rather let Ben sit than take that offer. 

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

There have been multiple reports that if Ben is going to end up in Minnesota it's going to have to be a multi team deal because the 76ers aren't interested in their players. 

ETA: When have we really ever seen a contending team trade their 2nd best player and receive a package that keeps them at the same level? Usually when All-Star / All-NBA players are traded the team that trades them receives young players and picks in return. The only exception to that in recent NBA history is DeRozan for Kawhi but that was a once in a life time type of situation. 

I get that, I am just saying my thoughts on who should have more value.  Edwards is more valuable than an overpaid Heild and some depth.  

And yeah, I don't expect the 76ers to stay at a 1 seed, but they can find better deals IMO.  I think bringing in Edwards, Beasley and Beverley would keep them close now and as Edwards develops could get back there but that Kings deal is just dookie IMO. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jarrett Allen can't be traded until November 4th, but...

Hornets receive: Jarrett Allen, Cedi Osman

76ers receive: Collin Sexton, Gordon Hayward

Cavaliers receive: Ben Simmons, Tyrese Maxey

That would actually work pretty well too.  I am guessing Philly would get some draft capital but they would have a chance at a top 3 seed with that roster.  Cleveland gets out of big paydays for slightly unproven guys, Charlotte adds some bigs and clears space for Miles to keep developing.  I still think long term it sucks for Philly but thats going to happen pretty much any way you look at it aside from getting Edwards. 

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am guessing Philly would get some draft capital but they would have a chance at a top 3 seed with that roster. I still think long term it sucks for Philly but thats going to happen pretty much any way you look at it aside from getting Edwards. 

That's Philadelphia's biggest issue in all of this. They're expecting to trade Ben Simmons and receive a package that makes them better or at the very least keeps them where they're at. 

How often has a #1 seed, contending team ever traded away a 25 year All-Star/their second best player? It legitimately almost never happens, the Raptors landing Kawhi is one case but that was an outlier. 

Essentially every time a young All-Star caliber player is being traded it's because the team trading team is hitting the reset button and is trying to acquire young players/draft capital to accelerate their rebuild. The Thunder traded Paul George for SGA and a ton of draft capital. The Pelicans traded AD for Ingram/Ball/Hart and a ton of draft capital. The Timberwolves traded Love for Wiggins/Bennett who were the two most recent #1 picks in the draft. 

The only other scenario I can think of where a team traded an All-Star caliber player in hopes of remaining competitive is the Kyrie deal. Where they traded Kyrie for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic, and a future 1st. How well did that work out for them?