Ben Simmons officially asks to be traded

NYRaider

Should they trade Ben Simmons  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Trade him?

• Yes
    • No

On 9/8/2021 at 5:03 PM, NYRaider said:

Trade him to Sacramento for whatever package and their unprotected 2023 1st round pick. #Tank4Emoni

I don't see anyway they get Simmons in Sac and they are in a position for a top 5 pick.  They could swap Fox for Simmons and Sac would be better and already weren't in contention for Emoni IMO.  Sac wont fight for a playoff seed with Ben but they will be a late lotto team, really no matter the return.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't see anyway they get Simmons in Sac and they are in a position for a top 5 pick.  They could swap Fox for Simmons and Sac would be better and already weren't in contention for Emoni IMO.  Sac wont fight for a playoff seed with Ben but they will be a late lotto team, really no matter the return.  

Depends on the package. Simmons for all his flaws is still a good regular season floor raiser. If they moved Hield/Bagley/Mitchell or Hield/Bagley/Haliburton than they'd have a pretty good team and could fight for 8 seed.

37 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Depends on the package. Simmons for all his flaws is still a good regular season floor raiser. If they moved Hield/Bagley/Mitchell or Hield/Bagley/Haliburton than they'd have a pretty good team and could fight for 8 seed.

Maybe, I just feel like they would still be a step behind about 10 teams in the West.  But injuries and crazier things could happen.  Either way, as you said he is a floor raiser and I dont think there is any chance Philly gets a top 5 pick for him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

I'd ask for Barnes/Hield/Mitchell if I'm Philly. Because going into next off-season the only players Sacramento would have under contract would be Fox, Haliburton, Simmons, Holmes, Harkless, Davis, and Len. They'll also likely be moving on from Luke Walton after this year so I'd be pretty confident their team would suck.

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'd ask for Barnes/Hield/Mitchell if I'm Philly. Because going into next off-season the only players Sacramento would have under contract would be Fox, Haliburton, Simmons, Holmes, Harkless, Davis, and Len. They'll also likely be moving on from Luke Walton after this year so I'd be pretty confident their team would suck.

Wouldn’t they have to suck this year for it to matter for Philly? Unless they get a ‘23 back

On 9/10/2021 at 8:10 PM, packerstk7 said:

Wouldn’t they have to suck this year for it to matter for Philly? Unless they get a ‘23 back

I think they'll suck in each of the next two seasons, I'd just rather have a shot at Emoni Bates, most of the best prospects in 2022 are bigs. 

Jon Krawczynski: (The Sixers) want a premium for (Ben Simmons), someone that can help them right away. But the Timberwolves don’t want to trade Anthony Edwards or Karl-Anthony towns. Those are those are deal-breakers. And they really would rather not trade D’Angelo Russell.

If a deal is going to get done I think Edwards has to be the center piece. Obviously some draft capital would have to be involved but I think a deal like tis would be fair for both sides. 

76ers receive: Anthony Edwards, Malik Beasley, Patrick Beverly

Wolves receive: Ben Simmons, Tyrese Maxey

Russell - Simmons - Prince - McDaniels - KAT 

8 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don’t see a team with Simmons, Fox and Halliburton having any chance at a top 3 pick without a lot of lottery luck.  

The Kings have had a losing record for like 15 straight seasons. Adding Simmons would help them defensively but it'd also make a bad 3P shooting team a very bad 3P shooting team because they'd be sending out their best shooters in a deal. If I'm Philly I also wouldn't accept any package without Haliburton included. 

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Kings have had a losing record for like 15 straight seasons. Adding Simmons would help them defensively but it'd also make a bad 3P shooting team a very bad 3P shooting team because they'd be sending out their best shooters in a deal. If I'm Philly I also wouldn't accept any package without Haliburton included. 

They have been bad but not even close to a top 5 pick.  And Simmons will make them better.  

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

They have been bad but not even close to a top 5 pick.  And Simmons will make them better.  

There are trade offs though. Assuming that Haliburton and Buddy are both being sent back to Philadelphia the Kings would be a significantly worse 3P shooting team. They were 19th in the league in 3PM's last season and Buddy/Haliburton accounted for 47% of their 3PM's. And those two would be replaced by a complete non-shooter. The Kings would only have 2 players on their roster that averaged more than 1 3PM per game in Fox (1.8/32%) and Barnes (1.7/39%). 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

There are trade offs though. Assuming that Haliburton and Buddy are both being sent back to Philadelphia the Kings would be a significantly worse 3P shooting team. They were 19th in the league in 3PM's last season and Buddy/Haliburton accounted for 47% of their 3PM's. And those two would be replaced by a complete non-shooter. The Kings would only have 2 players on their roster that averaged more than 1 3PM per game in Fox (1.8/32%) and Barnes (1.7/39%). 

And they would add a defensive POY talent who can rebound and spread the ball around better than anyone they are losing.  You can find a sniper to hit a couple threes a game.  Trading a volume shooter and a second year combo guard for a top 20 player will make your team better.  Even if he can’t shoot.  They won’t fight for playoffs but they will be better. 

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

And they would add a defensive POY talent who can rebound and spread the ball around better than anyone they are losing.  You can find a sniper to hit a couple threes a game.  Trading a volume shooter and a second year combo guard for a top 20 player will make your team better.  Even if he can’t shoot.  They won’t fight for playoffs but they will be better. 

But adding Simmons also pushes Fox off ball because Simmons is a non-threat as a spot up shooter. Fox is at his best when he's the primary ball handler and wasn't great in catch & shoot situations. Ben Simmons is definitely an excellent defender but does he really move the needle that much for them defensively? Sacramento was dead last in defensive rating last season. Philadelphia was great defensively last year but they also had Thybulle, Green, and Embiid who have been All-NBA defenders. In the playoffs the 76ers were 1.9 points better defensively with Embiid on/off the court and 2.1 points better defensively with Simmons on the court. 

If they were to make that trade their starting 5 would likely be: DeAaron Fox - Terrence Davis - Harrison Barnes - Ben Simmons - Richaun Holmes

Is that team going to win a ton of games in the West?

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

But adding Simmons also pushes Fox off ball because Simmons is a non-threat as a spot up shooter. Fox is at his best when he's the primary ball handler and wasn't great in catch & shoot situations. Ben Simmons is definitely an excellent defender but does he really move the needle that much for them defensively? Sacramento was dead last in defensive rating last season. Philadelphia was great defensively last year but they also had Thybulle, Green, and Embiid who have been All-NBA defenders. In the playoffs the 76ers were 1.9 points better defensively with Embiid on/off the court and 2.1 points better defensively with Simmons on the court. 

If they were to make that trade their starting 5 would likely be: DeAaron Fox - Terrence Davis - Harrison Barnes - Ben Simmons - Richaun Holmes

Is that team going to win a ton of games in the West?

That team is better than having Buddy Hield in there who has a negative +/-, is bad defensively, and didn't shoot as much this year.  I am guessing the Kings would move one of Haliburton or Mitchell.  The other one will end up as a 2 guard.  If its Haliburton, the shooting is just fine.  If its Mitchell, the perimeter defense is locked down and the shooting is still ok.  

Moving Fox off the ball hurts his value but even he without the ball in his hands its just fine shooting and can split PG duties with Simmons and Ben is a + from Fox in +/-. defensive efficiency, rebounding, and passing.  Hell they could trade Fox for Ben and Sac would be better.  Ben is good enough to make sure a team is not in the bottom 5.  Just about any team he goes to will not be bottom 5 in the league.  Out west, the Thunder, Rockets and Spurs are worse easily.  In the east you have Detroit, Orlando, and Cleveland easily worse.  The Kings currently are projected as the 10th worst record with Toronto, Washington, and Minny below them.  Adding Ben would only improve that.  No chance they have a top 5 pick unless Ben gets injured.