Ben Simmons officially asks to be traded

NYRaider

Should they trade Ben Simmons  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Trade him?

• Yes
    • No

Just a couple of weeks ago...

Tim Bontemps: Bradley Beal is asked directly about whether he thinks the Wizards have shown him enough to commit to the organization long-term. And while he praises Scott Brooks and the way the season went, Beal declined to answer either way whether Washington was the place for him long-term.

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

1. This is again why I say that everyone is so short sighted. Last year the 76ers were 8-8 in games without Simmons, which caused them to fall to the 6th seed in the conference. Without Simmons in the playoffs Embiid averaged 30 on 45% FG and Harris averaged 17 on 35% FG as they were swept in the 1st round by the Celtics. 

With Simmons back in the lineup this year they finished with the #1 seed, Embiid averaged 28 on 52% FG and Harris averaged 22 on 49% FG, so it seems that Simmons playmaking definitely benefits both guys. 

2. Simmons contract isn't the best but it's also not absolutely terrible, as I said before he's 25 years old and one of the best players in the league. His shooting is an issue but he never shot FT's as poorly as he did this year in any other playoff run in his career, he actually was a better postseason FT shooter than in-season.. 

3. Embiid is 27 and Harris is 28, they're both under contract for a few more years. Obviously the goal is to win now but it's not like they're an extremely old team and they were just the #1 seed in the East. I know Simmons FT shooting hurt them a ton. Why doesn't Harris get any of the blame for his performance in game 5 or Embiid for his egg in game 4? Even in game 7, Harris was 8/24 from the field in a 7 point loss. While Simmons had 13 assists and only missed 1 FT. 

If they were to trade for a player like Brogdon it's definitely an upgrade in terms of 3P/FT shooting. But Brogdon has never been a great scorer, he has 1 year of 20+ ppg production on a terrible team when he was hurt for 1/3 the year. For his career he has averaged 15.1 ppg (46%), Simmons has averaged 15.9 ppg (56%) despite his inability to hit 3's. 

Going from Simmons to Brogdon would also be a huge downgrade in terms of defense and playmaking, the two biggest things that Ben provides for Philly. 

Re: #1 - my statement on Phi being Embiid’s team - if he’s willing to call out Simmons for losing games, that’s a huge statement on Simmons’ future in PHI.     

IMO the problem is that Philly can’t really change their team without dealing Simmons.    And for bettor or worse it seems like they see change as needed.    For all of their reg season success they can’t make the leap in the playoffs.    Maybe they reconsider but change sounds like it’s coming.   It won’t be Embiid / Harris or Rivers (though that is likely a better place to target but they’ll not go there after 1 year and no obvious fit left).   

31 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: #1 - my statement on Phi being Embiid’s team - if he’s willing to call out Simmons for losing games, that’s a huge statement on Simmons’ future in PHI.     

IMO the problem is that Philly can’t really change their team without dealing Simmons.    And for bettor or worse it seems like they see change as needed.    For all of their reg season success they can’t make the leap in the playoffs.    Maybe they reconsider but change sounds like it’s coming.   It won’t be Embiid / Harris or Rivers (though that is likely a better place to target but they’ll not go there after 1 year and no obvious fit left).   

That’s fine. Without Simmons they fell to the 6th seed and got swept in the 1st round while Embiid’s efficiency dropped and Harris efficiency fell off of a cliff. 

Over the last 3 years they haven’t been able to get over the hump in the playoffs. But 3 years ago they lost to the eventual NBA champion Raptors on a buzzer beater in game 7. Last year they got swept by Boston in the 1st round without Simmons as I mentioned above. And this year they got upset by the Hawks but as I said Embiid laid an egg with a chance to go up 3-1 and Harris laid an egg with a chance to go up 3-2, as well as another egg in game 7. So even with their playoff disappointment it took Harris/Embiid laying eggs for them to lose super close games to Atlanta. 

As I said if I were Philly I would look to move Simmons, Thybulle, Maxey, and picks for Beal then go after Lowry in FA. For Washington they’d accelerate they rebuild with a young All-Star in Simmons, one of the best defensive wings in the league in Thybulle, a scoring guard who was a 1st round pick last year in Maxey, as well as additional draft capital. As opposed to keeping Beal, who they struggled with despite him being #2 in PPG, and losing him next offseason for nothing. Which seems even more likely as he wasn’t willing to comment on his commitment to Washington going forward. Plus if they keep him and try to move him at the deadline they’ll probably get significantly less because whoever trades for him might only get him for half a season since he can opt out. 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Over the last 3 years they haven’t been able to get over the hump in the playoffs. But 3 years ago they lost to the eventual NBA champion Raptors on a buzzer beater in game 7. 

With Jimmy Butler (and Redick). Different team

Edited by amac

7 minutes ago, amac said:

With Jimmy Butler (and Redick). Different team

That’s true. But again they lost a 7 game series where Embiid laid an egg with a 4/20 (0/12 second half) shooting performance in a 3 point loss with a chance to go up 3-1. Harris also laid an egg with a 2/11 shooting performance in a 3 point loss with a chance to go up 3-2. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Simmons knows his time with Philly is coming to an end. After Doc's comments after game 7, the writing was on the wall. 

I guess the Warriors will have to take him off the 76ers hands! 

They need to do what it takes to acquire Beal with a Simmons package. 

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

After seeing the fact OKC is willing to offer Shai in a deal for #1, do you think they would be interested in Ben + for Shai.  That would be a good fit for Shai, but not sure Ben helps OKC in the long run as they would need significantly more scoring help. 

I doubt it. Benny is already getting paid while Cade would be on a rookie contract, played locally, and has so much hype around him.