Ben Simmons officially asks to be traded

NYRaider

Should they trade Ben Simmons  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Trade him?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

I still believe Simmons can be great but 1) his confidence is shot and he needs a new setting, 2) the Sixers also need a change, 3) Simmons has to actually work to get better but he doesn't seem like the type with that drive. 

I don't really think there's much hope in him ever even becoming a respectable shooter at this point. 

Obviously hindsight is 2020 but the tank and "trust the process" really didn't work out too well for the 76ers. 

But if they could go back and do it again they could've drafted...

2013: Michael Carter-Williams (13th) | Giannis Antetokounmpo (15th)

2014: Dario Saric (12th) | Zach LaVine (13th) 

2015: Jahlil Okafor (3rd) | Devin Booker (13th)

2016: Ben Simmons (1st) | Brandon Ingram (2nd)

Timothe Luwau-Cabarrot (24th) | Pascal Siakam (27th)

Furkan Korkmaz (26th) | Malcolm Brogdon (36th)

2017: Markelle Fultz (1st) | Jayson Tatum (3rd) 

2018: Traded Mikal Bridges (10th) for Zhaire Smith (16th)

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't really think there's much hope in him ever even becoming a respectable shooter at this point. 

Through his first 8 seasons Brook Lopez made three 3’s.  In his 9th season he made 134…  Not only does it take work but you can’t be afraid to fail.  Dude just needs to grow a pair and it might be another team’s gain if he does. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Through his first 8 seasons Brook Lopez made three 3’s.  In his 9th season he made 134…  Not only does it take work but you can’t be afraid to fail.  Dude just needs to grow a pair and it might be another team’s gain if he does. 

Through Simmons first 4 seasons 88% of his FGA have come within 10 feet of the basket. 9% of his FGA have been between 10-16 feet, 2% have been between 16 feet-3P line, and 1% have been 3PA. His FG% on shots between 10-16 is 29%, between 16-3P line is 26%, and 3PA is 14%. Plus thus far he's sub 60% FT shooter for his career. For comparison Brook was an 80% FT shooter and shot between 40-50% most years as a mid-range shooter, he just extended his range as he got older and needed to adjust to the modern game, he was never a bad shooter. 

31 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Anyone can become a good shooter if they put that work in. Shooting is a 100% learned skill. Simmons definitely could become a good shooter.

I don't think he will though, like I said he doesn't seem to have the drive for improvement and the shooting with the wrong hand thing.

Just now, Spartica4Real said:

Anyone can become a good shooter if they put that work in. Shooting is a 100% learned skill. Simmons definitely could become a good shooter.

But even @DirtyDez Brook Lopez comparison, Lopez was a good FT shooter and mid-range shooter that just extended his range as he got older to be a better fit in the modern game. Don't really care to do the math but Ben Simmons is like a 25% shooter outside of 10 feet and a career sub 60% FT shooter. If you can find me a player in the history of the NBA that shot that poorly and only made 5 3's at a 14% clip through his first 4 NBA seasons and then went onto become even a respectable shooter, I'll give you kudos. Because I really don't think there's anyone that ever has. 

According to NBA.com Simmons is 213/652 (32%) shooting jump shots (doesn't specify distance of the shot) in 275 career games. So throughout his career thus far he has averaged 0.7 made jump shots on 2.3 attempts per game. 

For comparison, through Brook Lopez first 4 seasons he was 839/1,982 (43%) on jump shots, averaging 2.6 made jump shots on 6.1 attempts per game. 

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But even @DirtyDez Brook Lopez comparison, Lopez was a good FT shooter and mid-range shooter that just extended his range as he got older to be a better fit in the modern game. Don't really care to do the math but Ben Simmons is like a 25% shooter outside of 10 feet and a career sub 60% FT shooter. If you can find me a player in the history of the NBA that shot that poorly and only made 5 3's at a 14% clip through his first 4 NBA seasons and then went onto become even a respectable shooter, I'll give you kudos. Because I really don't think there's anyone that ever has. 

Probably shooting with the wrong hand.  

CJ for Simmons is the trade I been tossing around the most these past few weeks. I agree with another poster on here, before they could of gotten a sweetener with McCollum, but now it's a one for one.

CJ and Curry would be tough to have on the court at the same time, but can you convince CJ to become a 6MOY and close games? Possibly.

Simmons needs to be surrounded by shooters so Dame and Covington would work, but would need to add a Doug McDermott, maybe an Olynyk. Defensively, they would be a nightmare in the West. Dame-Simmons-RoCo-Nurkic-Powell

Someone is gonna get a good deal for Simmons. His stock is as low as it can get right now. 

Really hope it’s the Warriors. His style is perfect for Steve Kerrs offense. They won’t ask him to shoot they will be able to put him in a position to be just a passer.