Week 8: VIKINGS (5-2) at Browns (0-7)

swede700

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I think they should have a pretty good idea by now if things truly are headed in the right direction. Problem is, Cleveland will end up hiring more underqualified GMs and head coaches.

Two years isn't enough time for a front office to bring in enough talent in order to properly evaluate the head coach imo

21 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Two years isn't enough time for a front office to bring in enough talent in order to properly evaluate the head coach imo

Two years should be plenty of time to see a hint of progress or any bit of development. What can Cleveland point to as an area that has improved since Jackson and the current GM took over? How likely is it that Cleveland will turn things around in year three? I guess there hope would be landing a truly worthwhile QB prospect in the top 3 and not getting cute and trading away the pick.

they had a chance at grabbing two potential franchise QBs in Goff and Wentz. 

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Two years should be plenty of time to see a hint of progress or any bit of development. What can Cleveland point to as an area that has improved since Jackson and the current GM took over? How likely is it that Cleveland will turn things around in year three? I guess there hope would be landing a truly worthwhile QB prospect in the top 3 and not getting cute and trading away the pick.

And Watson, too. And although we haven't seen him in the regular season, Pat Mahomes look really good in the preseason.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Unless the coaching is bad. They've also gained draft capital for the future

7 hours ago, disaacs said:

Agreed.  But, with so many draft picks coming on board next season, they might have a better selection of candidates as they know that they'll get a ton of players right from the beginning.  

Not to mention they do actually have some pretty intriguing up and coming youngsters. I honestly thought that the Browns could have been the best that they have in years this season, and while it seems like they are imploding or just being the same old Browns, all they really need to be competitive is a solid QB and a good Head Coach who brings about real culture change. 

The young corps of talent that could very well grow into a solid group along with the bevy of high draft picks they will have this year could really attract their best HC option in a long time. I feel like if Cowher or Gruden came out of no where to take over the team, there would actually be a spark that could get that team going.

also, for what it's worth, I feel like this could be a trap game of sorts. Sure, we know what it's like to play in London, but if the Vikes players relax at all, we could have a recipe for a loss. We cannot let the opponents current record or the environment get to us at all, and just play our game: Strong D and an average yet complimentary offense.

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

So Hue Jackson should be fired because the GMs were stupid to draft good players?

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

So Hue Jackson should be fired because the GMs were stupid to draft good players?

The GM often gets say in who the HC is. If you get rid of the GM for poor drafting, it just seems inevitable that the HC will follow. How many head coaches have survived a front office upheaval to have long term success? 

Browns will pick Lamar Jackson - and ruin his career.

Worst franchise in the NFL - now that Rams and Jaguars seem to have turned it around. Rams by finally getting rid of Fisher and Jaguars by bringing in Coughlin.

For this game: if you don't win, there's no room for you in the playoffs.

The Browns made it official, placing offensive tackle Joe Thomas on injured reserve Monday. Thomas tore his left triceps in Sunday’s game against the Titans and will undergo surgery Tuesday. It marks Thomas’ first injury as a pro, ending his consecutive snaps streak at 10,363, which is believed to be the longest in NFL history.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/23/browns-place-joe-thomas-on-injured-reserve/

Archived