Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

By showing them that their views don't belong. 

It's a big deal for Nassib to be an openly gay player. 

It's not wrong for me to talk about how great it is for him to be an openly gay player.

It is wrong for people to downplay something that's important to someone else as if it doesn't matter, simply because they don't care.

If you don't care, zip it. 

There are a lot of things I don't care about, I don't go around telling people how much I don't care. That would be crazy behaviour.

It's really simple. Nobody needs support to come out as straight.

So saying "It doesn't matter" about a straight player isn't the same as saying "it doesn't matter" about a guy who came out as straight and says he understands the need for representation.

I can see you aren't really open to enlightenment, so I'll pass.

Thanks for proving my point about those who preach about tolerance the hardest usually being the most intolerant of all.

Youre a waste of time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Ideally, some day, we truly don't want it to be a big deal. It should just be normalized without the need to make a big announcement.

We aren't there yet, and likely in the US we'll be decades behind other countries before it is.

Exactly. And do you know which selection of people want that more than anyone? Gay people, yet some say (or, insinuate) that gay people (in particular those in the public eye) are attention seeking for coming out.

Nassib has made a very public announcement to try and help others in the NFL who may feel like he does. As you say, one day this will hopefully feel so normal that people like Nassib don't need to inspire people to hide how they feel.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

For the people who don’t understand why this is a big deal or why this matters allow me to put it in perspective 

roughly 6% of people identify as lgbtq, and that numbers likely light because some people will remain closeted. 

There are roughly 1900 players on active NFL rosters/practice squads. There have been roughly 25000 players throughout NFL history. 

That means there’s potentially 115 closeted gay players in the league now, and as many as 1500 closeted gay former players.

If being gay ‘doesn’t matter’ then why is it until Carl Nassib 100% of them chose to keep it a secret? It’s not 2 or 3 people, literally hundreds. Start applying to other sports as well and we are talking thousands remaining in the closet. These players are literally scared it will ruin their career. All you have to do is look at Twitter or Instagram and see the responses he’s getting. NFL fans are not know for being progressive or tolerant and there are a lot of idiots and jerks out there.

Props to Nassib for breaking the barrier. I especially love how nonchalant he was about it. Raiders have been a historically progressive org and glad he can be a next step in that journey. 

Very well said.

Just now, 43M said:

Thanks for proving my point about those who preach about tolerance the hardest usually being the most intolerant of all.

Youre a waste of time.

This is actually called the tolerance paradox. The only way to actually have people understand that you have to be tolerant and accepting to other's beliefs is to stamp out the beliefs that go against the acceptance of other's differences. Things like racism, homophobia, anti-LGBT views shouldn't be tolerated because they dehumanize people or make them "the other" when we should all have the same rights and advantages within society for success.

• Like 8

Just now, Mesa_Titan said:

So are we going to give Nassib a bunch of undeserved awards this year? Or are we going to make up some new ones to give out? Can’t wait to see. 

I mean, he's still an average base defensive end. IDK what kind of award he would get other than maybe the Arthur Ashe courage award.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Things like racism, homophobia, anti-LGBT views shouldn't be tolerated because they dehumanize people or make them "the other" when we should all have the same rights and advantages within society for success.

Very well said.

• Like 1

First, I'm pleasantly surprised this lasted 7 pages since its very much not just football and could bring out some angry dudes.

Second, if you are Christian then Jesus said Love One Another, not just the ones who vote, think, and act like you do.

• Spend less time pretending you know what he thinks on a subject and more on what he actually said to do.

Third, this won't be a big deal in a few years but it is now since he's the first. This is a much different country in 2021 compared to even 2014 (for the ones living in reality, anyway). He's still brave to go public with this. As with anything in life, there will always be some who react poorly but most will fully support him and anyone else who identifies as different. 

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

Youre a waste of time.

You already said you don't care. You're wasting your own time by even being here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Ok, let’s take Tony Dungy for example.  

He’s a respectable guy around the league.  

When Michael Sam was drafted by St. Louis, Tony Dungy said he would prefer not to have somebody like Michael Sam on his team because he wouldn’t “want to deal with it.”  

What he was trying to say is that this is not something that everybody is automatically going to be ok with.  

Yes, there are bigoted people in the league, we’re aware.  What’s your point?  Why are we placating them?

And to be clear, you don’t know that’s what he was referring to.  He could have just as easily of been referring to the media attention that will follow this.

And just because Dungy said it doesn’t make it right.

That had a lot to do with why Michael Sam didn’t play a regular season game in the NFL. 

Yes, bigotry played a large role.  Agreed.

It wouldn’t be all that surprising if Nassib were to leave the league after this upcoming season too.  

By his choice?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

Youre a waste of time.

My cousin lives with his aunt & uncle after being kicked out of his own house at 15 after coming out as gay and not seeking "Treatment".... This happened in 2020.  There isn't even close to a comparison between those who preach tolerance and people like my aunt & uncle. People act like this isn't a big deal and no one should care and I get it.  That is the bubble you live in but its not the bubble my cousin lives in nor is it the bubble many live in the US. I tend to agree with you that there is a breaking point regarding the paradox of tolerance but we are not near that breaking point yet. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

Considering I'm pretty sure you just misread my post, I don't think you are in a position to question what concepts I can and cannot grasp.

When did I imply that you said you didn't care about "THE" person?  

No, I read your post fine.  You just seemingly struggle with basic logic...even your own, apparently.

You implied myself and others shouldnt comment if we dont care.    I clarified I care about the individual and not his orientation.

Ill bow out here.   Some of you are just as bad as the pathetic Twitter rage mob.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

So are we going to give Nassib a bunch of undeserved awards this year?

Which ones are you thinking exactly?

9 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Or are we going to make up some new ones to give out? Can’t wait to see. 

Why not? Would that bother you?

• Like 3