Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

No, Tony Dungy did not make mistake.   He was speaking for the majority of NFL coaches and football coaches overall who wouldn’t want to deal with this kind of situation.  

I’m fully aware that the moderators are watching me like a hawk, so I’m going to try to say this without anybody getting offended right away.  

………You and most of the posters in this thread don’t have a clear cut picture on how the real world works and you haven’t really spent enough time around other people to understand it.  

No matter what kind of activism people take for equality/social justice/whatever,  the vast majority of people will continue to stick to their tribes.  

Why is that?  Because it’s natural and most people don’t have a problem with figuring out who they are.  

White people still marry white people. Black people still marry black people.  

The only thing that has changed is that our society will collectively say “it’s ok” but they know that they wouldn’t do the same.  For those that feel they have to integrate into a group that isn’t their own are going to experience the underlying tones that they do not fit in.  

That’s why Michael Sam didn’t have a career in the NFL.  And, that’s why Nassib leaving the league on his own terms is bound to happen too.  Publicizing someone like him is exactly what the NFL and the rest of mainstream media want to see on paper but mainstreaming someone like him in pro football will never come into fruition.  

If you feel you have to resort to calling me a bigot, that’s perfectly fine by me.  You have a First Amendment right to do that.  

But, here me out when I say that nobody else on this thread is going to be nearly as honest about the cold hard reality.  

I don’t understand why you feel the need to come into thread after thread with the most brash obnoxious opinions and “insight” imaginable but you have an undeniable track record of this sort of behavior already built up behind you which makes me believe your intentions are to continue to be that guy not actually contribute anything meaningful at all. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I submit to you a quote.

In this case, if we're not actively trying to help people who are disenfranchised and who are being othered by educating the ignorant around us, we are being neutral. And that's not how we help the world grow and improve for everyone. It's how we continue to oppress and limit those people's freedoms.

Again, I have picked a side. I support Carl's decision to come out. I support all of the LGBTQ people in my life, and they all are very open around me and seem to appreciate my stance, which honestly is all I really care about. 

Nothing I have said was about not speaking up or not supporting the cause or acting like the struggles they face don't exist. That stuff just gets assigned to anyone who disagrees from the woke crowd. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

No, Tony Dungy did not make mistake.   He was speaking for the majority of NFL coaches and football coaches overall who wouldn’t want to deal with this kind of situation.  

I’m fully aware that the moderators are watching me like a hawk, so I’m going to try to say this without anybody getting offended right away.  

………You and most of the posters in this thread don’t have a clear cut picture on how the real world works and you haven’t really spent enough time around other people to understand it.  

No matter what kind of activism people take for equality/social justice/whatever,  the vast majority of people will continue to stick to their tribes.  

Why is that?  Because it’s natural and most people don’t have a problem with figuring out who they are.  

The only thing that has changed is that our society will collectively say “it’s ok” but they know that they wouldn’t do the same.  For those that feel they have to integrate into a group that isn’t their own are going to experience the underlying tones that they do not fit in.  

That’s why Michael Sam didn’t have a career in the NFL.  And, that’s why Nassib leaving the league on his own terms is bound to happen too.  Publicizing someone like him is exactly what the NFL and the rest of mainstream media want to see on paper but mainstreaming someone like him in pro football will never come into fruition.  

If you feel you have to resort to calling me a bigot, that’s perfectly fine by me.  You have a First Amendment right to do that.  

But, here me out when I say that nobody else on this thread is going to be nearly as honest about the cold hard reality.  

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Worlds Worst Take

Edited by Glen
  • Like 15

6 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

In the real world, interracial couples are a thing. Its pretty sad that you think you made a valid point here

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I have a very clear picture of how the world works and how bigotry effects others. I'm from a Jewish family in the south. My little brother is gay, and I've seen how he was treated all growing up. 

The racial straw man needs to exit this conversation.

And Michael Sam didn't succeed in the NFL because he was a 1st percentile athlete with poor technique and terrible film. He didn't translate to a NFL player or even a CFL player because he didn't have the requisite talent to play professional football. 

Nassib has already shown that he's at least a competent NFL Defensive end and the Raiders have already publicly shown support. Will he start? probably not. Did he start last year? no. So why does that even matter. 

The cold, hard reality is that the world has changed a lot since you grew up. You need to learn how to grow with it.

Just now, JonStark said:

Again, I have picked a side. I support Carl's decision to come out. I support all of the LGBTQ people in my life, and they all are very open around me and seem to appreciate my stance, which honestly is all I really care about. 

Nothing I have said was about not speaking up or not supporting the cause or acting like the struggles they face don't exist. That stuff just gets assigned to anyone who disagrees from the woke crowd. 

I'm not saying that you haven't. I'm not talking about you with my post. I'm just replying to the debate that you posed with my world vie on this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

To add to this - Nassib is the first to come out. He's far from the first to play.

Very important distinction... and a reminder that this has been going on well before Nassib came out. 

Yeah. If I remember correctly, some former Titans players from the early 2000s implied that there was a gay player on the team during that period when the whole Michael Sam thing was happening. But the team being a team, it was kept under wraps.

As for whether it matters: I grew up in a very homophobic environment, despite literally having a gay grandfather. I played “smear the queer” in elementary school, called people the f word, the whole 9 yards. Did I ever wish actual harm on gay people?No, but that doesn’t absolve me of a lot of bad ****.

I get the mindset of people that are uncomfortable with homosexuality, or even saying who cares. The thing is, having lived that, I am acutely aware that it is homophobia, pure and simple. It’s easy for them to tell themselves it’s not, because you don’t wish literal harm on gays, you “just don’t want to be around it,” or “don’t want it to be rubbed in your face,” or whatever. But that, of course, is essentially saying that gays need to keep it under wraps, which is still homophobic as ****.

People like Nassib being visible, and media exposure to homosexuality in a positive way prevents that crap. It’s a part of the necessary changes that society needs to make for this to not be a big deal.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I don’t understand why you feel the need to come into thread after thread with the most brash obnoxious opinions and “insight” imaginable but you have an undeniable track record of this sort of behavior already built up behind you which makes me believe your intentions are to continue to be that guy not actually contribute anything meaningful at all. 

Read his user name again lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dome said:

By showing them that their views don't belong. 

It's a big deal for Nassib to be an openly gay player. 

It's not wrong for me to talk about how great it is for him to be an openly gay player.

It is wrong for people to downplay something that's important to someone else as if it doesn't matter, simply because they don't care.

If you don't care, zip it. 

There are a lot of things I don't care about, I don't go around telling people how much I don't care. That would be crazy behaviour.

It's really simple. Nobody needs support to come out as straight.

So saying "It doesn't matter" about a straight player isn't the same as saying "it doesn't matter" about a guy who came out as gay and says he understands the need for representation.

I can see you aren't really open to enlightenment, so I'll pass.

Ironically you are doing more damage than helping.

He's the first so in my opinion he should absolutely be commended for it. Good for Carl, and good for progress. Let's hope that we can achieve his goal sooner than later.

Yet you're celebrate it or GTFO tone and responses are only going to turn people off to the subject. Besides who made you the moral arbiter of who can say what? Your opinion doesn't mean more than anyone else.

Instead of being majorly intolerant yourself towards other posters, you'd be doing yourself, Carl, and everyone else a favor by sticking to talking about the positives of this, the progress that has been made and can continue to be made.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

All other non-football related discussion gets shut down around here so why are we making an exception for this?

All other non-football related discussion doesn't get shut down around here though. 

There were 4 active threads in the NFL News section yesterday with maybe two football related comments between all of them. 

When the Nassib thread was originally locked, it was the only one that was shut down. 

Do you think this conversation should be shut down?

12 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I'm gonna be straight up with you man, I don't think you know how the real world works. This post screams that you haven't left your small town in quite some time. That's not meant to be a shot either, I just don't think you have a grasp of what different parts of the country/world look like. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

This is very well disproven as mixed marriages continue to increase over time. I would 100% date someone of any ethnical background. I think "sticking to your tribe" is an antiquated and boring approach to life.

Lol. This is the exact opposite that will happen. I assume the media and the "SJW" crowd that controls internet messaging to overwhelmingly support him. Sure, Nassib might walk away. But thats because he is older and not good, not because he is gay.

Your reality isnt a place that most of us live.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

Ironically you are doing more damage than helping.

This is false. You can't support that claim.

He's the first so in my opinion he should absolutely be commended for it. Good for Carl, and good for progress. Let's hope that we can achieve his goal sooner than later.

Hell yeah. 

Yet you're celebrate it or GTFO tone and responses are only going to turn people off to the subject.

Anybody who isn't celebrating is already turned off to the subject. 

Besides who made you the moral arbiter of who can say what? Your opinion doesn't mean more than anyone else.

Nobody did. I'm not saying what people can and can't say, I'm simply calling them out for bad takes. 

Instead of being majorly intolerant yourself towards other posters, you'd be doing yourself, Carl, and everyone else a favor by sticking to talking about the positives of this, the progress that has been made and can continue to be made.

Yes. I'm the one who has been majorly intolerant about this topic.