Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

All other non-football related discussion gets shut down around here so why are we making an exception for this?

This post adds nothing to the conversation. This thread is about Carl Nassib proudly coming out.

Not about forum rules. Stay on topic.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dome said:

All other non-football related discussion doesn't get shut down around here though. 

There were 4 active threads in the NFL News section yesterday with maybe two football related comments between all of them. 

When the Nassib thread was originally locked, it was the only one that was shut down. 

Do you think this conversation should be shut down?

When it's labeled "controversial" it does. And reading the last few pages any other thread would have been locked by now. I think you and I both know that.

• Like 1

Just now, dtait93 said:

When it's labeled "controversial" it does. And reading the last few pages any other thread would have been locked by now. I think you and I both know that.

why should a player coming out be controversial?

• Like 3

Just now, dtait93 said:

Webby relaxed the rules to avoid placating hateful people. Check the feedback forum for the discussion. 

Just now, Dome said:

This is false. You can't support that claim.

Hell yeah. 

Anybody who isn't celebrating is already turned off to the subject. 

Nobody did. I'm not saying what people can and can't say, I'm simply calling them out for bad takes. 

Yes. I'm the one who has been majorly intolerant about this topic. 

Sure I can. Telling people they are wrong for doing nothing only pushes them away from your cause. It happens constantly in 2021. If you stuck to being celebratory instead of combative this thread would be much more productive.

Agreed. Hopefully it opens the floodgates because you know Carl is not the only one.

Not true. Apathy is a thing.

By definition you have been intolerant to other posters in this thread. Taking the progressive stance doesn't make that any less true. 

"unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own."

• Like 3

My 2 cents on the subject:

I'm glad people are finally coming out, because no one deserves to live double lives. They should be able to come out and live their lives openly, if they whish to diclose it.

I'm also glad we can go through this now, so we don't have to anymore in a few years, when it looses it's appeal and everyone is relatively ok with it.

• Like 3

Just now, Matts4313 said:
2 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

why should a player coming out be controversial?

Lol. You are goading him and you know it. Sneaky sneaky Malfypoopoohead. 

con·tro·ver·sial
/ˌkäntrəˈvərSHəl,ˌkäntrəˈvərsēəl/

adjective
giving rise or likely to give rise to public disagreement.

only bigots would pubically disagree with his decision to come out.

Just now, Malfatron said:

con·tro·ver·sial
/ˌkäntrəˈvərSHəl,ˌkäntrəˈvərsēəl/

adjective
giving rise or likely to give rise to public disagreement.

only bigots would pubically disagree with his decision to come out.

By that same token, if it is not controversial than its not news worthy. 

Now I am playing devils advocate, @Dome.

16 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

All other non-football related discussion gets shut down around here so why are we making an exception for this?

9 hours ago, Webmaster said:

I've decided to open this topic up.  After discussing it with some members and mods, I feel this is something that members should be allowed to discuss, even though it's not football related.    

From P1.

Tks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

Sure I can. Telling people they are wrong for doing nothing only pushes them away from your cause. It happens constantly in 2021. If you stuck to being celebratory instead of combative this thread would be much more productive.

There are lots of times that people can be wrong for doing nothing.

A phrase I'm certain everyone has heard. “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” 

What kind of world would we live in if nobody was expected to stand up for each other? 

I'm only combative with the people who decide they need to come make it a point to talk about how they don't care. I don't care if those people feel attacked.

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

By definition you have been intolerant to other posters in this thread. Taking the progressive stance doesn't make that any less true. 

"unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own."

I'm being intolerant to people who are intolerant. I'll give myself a pass. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is very well disproven as mixed marriages continue to increase over time. I would 100% date someone of any ethnical background. I think "sticking to your tribe" is an antiquated and boring approach to life.

Lol. This is the exact opposite that will happen. I assume the media and the "SJW" crowd that controls internet messaging to overwhelmingly support him. Sure, Nassib might walk away. But thats because he is older and not good, not because he is gay.

Your reality isnt a place that most of us live.

There's a lot of fine women in the world, Matts. Just find one that wants to bring lunch to you at work. (paraphrasing Silent Bob here) But I agree. There are beautiful people of every color, race and creed.

Nassib is still solid though. He's easily got 2-3 more years as a rotational guy for some team. He'd be an upgrade here in Atlanta. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I'm going to read some articles tonight (if you'd like and specific ones, let me know) but unfortunately if I still disagree, you'll just say that I didn't go into it with an open mind, so there's really no point in continuing this conversation unless I change my opinion. Regardless, I have a few people in my life of the LGBT community so it's worth the read in case I can pick up anything from it. 

Also, a stance of color/gender/orientation blindness is not regressive. Regressive would be the mindset that those things matter and that they should be used to separate each other. Again, those people do exist but are not the ones I'm referring to. 

You keep doing this thing where you say you’re going to look into the research and formulate an opinion with an open mind and then immediately following that up with a reason why the thing you haven’t even looked at yet is wrong. That isn’t coming at it with an open mind.

You’ve already decided that it can’t be regressive, and you’re so sure of that, that you’re not even willing to say “maybe I should stop making declarations about this topic until I look into the things that have been suggested to be looked into” before you look into it.

• Like 2