Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Man, so sorry, but yes, this is why stuff like this matters.

People literally choose to end their lives rather than to continue living a lie or face the persecution of others.

Carl Nassib is taking actionable steps to help people like that and should be commended for it.

Yeah, I never knew him (he killed himself when I was like 2), so it didn't really affect me.  Just something in the background.

But it is a sad story for all involved.  Learning more about it as I got older definitely gave me more patience for my grandmother (she's not a pleasant person) because she had a hard life.

And this was in the 60s in Tennessee, but I know a lot of other stuff happens to all gays.  Which is why suicide is so high amongst them.  And why there's a history there that makes it different than just being straight.  It is a big deal.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Man, so sorry, but yes, this is why stuff like this matters.

People literally choose to end their lives rather than to continue living a lie or face the persecution of others.

Carl Nassib is taking actionable steps to help people like that and should be commended for it.

last year a trevor project survey indicated 40% of LGBT youth seriously considered suicide. 68% reported anxiety, 48% percent engaged in self-harm. suicide attempts increased in respondents who reported that they faced rejection or discrimination for their identities. we are talking about a direct link between child suicide and non-acceptance of LGBT folks, as recently as *last year,* and we still have people in here talking about how they don't want to hear it or it's not significant.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We aren't given another option when people collectively, transparently argue in bad faith. 

The accusations of this are far more frequent than the actual instances of it. Again, not speaking for anyone else in this thread because I don't know. However, people think they are far more qualified than they are in determining what's in bad faith and what isn't. There are dozens if not hundred of times I've been accused of something that had nothing to do with what I said and half the time people said that was transparent too.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

No, Tony Dungy did not make mistake.   He was speaking for the majority of NFL coaches and football coaches overall who wouldn’t want to deal with this kind of situation.  

I’m fully aware that the moderators are watching me like a hawk, so I’m going to try to say this without anybody getting offended right away.  

………You and most of the posters in this thread don’t have a clear cut picture on how the real world works and you haven’t really spent enough time around other people to understand it.  

No matter what kind of activism people take for equality/social justice/whatever,  the vast majority of people will continue to stick to their tribes.  

Why is that?  Because it’s natural and most people don’t have a problem with figuring out who they are.  

White people still marry white people. Black people still marry black people.  

The only thing that has changed is that our society will collectively say “it’s ok” but they know that they wouldn’t do the same.  For those that feel they have to integrate into a group that isn’t their own are going to experience the underlying tones that they do not fit in.  

That’s why Michael Sam didn’t have a career in the NFL.  And, that’s why Nassib leaving the league on his own terms is bound to happen too.  Publicizing someone like him is exactly what the NFL and the rest of mainstream media want to see on paper but mainstreaming someone like him in pro football will never come into fruition.  

If you feel you have to resort to calling me a bigot, that’s perfectly fine by me.  You have a First Amendment right to do that.  

But, hear me out when I say that nobody else on this thread is going to be nearly as honest about the cold hard reality.  

You my friend are completely wrong. The actual way you’ve tried to belittle me and people who think like me by insinuating we need to ‘live in the real world’ just shows how narrow-minded you are.

Im a father of three. Business owner. Been all around the world. How much more life experience do I need to come into ‘your world’ and realise how life is like?! 

I get your point about Michael Sam. And if Carl Nassib does decide to leave the game because of the negative emotion coming out evokes over backward thinking people then that’s a crying shame and without doubt puts us back another ten years. 

I will not sit here and type like Iv ever been in a position where my gender/race/sexual orientation has been a tool to hurt me with. 

As a white heterosexual male Iv been fortunate to not have these ridiculous ideologies thrown at me. 

• Like 7

Just now, xenajets said:

You my friend are completely wrong. The actual way you’ve tried to belittle me and people who think like me by insinuating we need to ‘live in the real world’ just shows how narrow-minded you are.

Im a father of three. Business owner. Been all around the world. How much more life experience do I need to come into ‘your world’ and realise how life is like?! 

I get your point about Michael Sam. And if Carl Nassib does decide to leave the game because of the negative emotion coming out evokes over backward thinking people then that’s a crying shame and without doubt puts us back another ten years. 

I will not sit here and type like Iv ever been in a position where my gender/race/sexual orientation has been a tool to hurt me with. 

As a white heterosexual male Iv been fortunate to not have these ridiculous ideologies thrown at me. 

Except he's wrong about Michael Sam. No one cared he was gay. He just wasn't good at football. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

last year a trevor project survey indicated 40% of LGBT youth seriously considered suicide. 68% reported anxiety, 48% percent engaged in self-harm. suicide attempts increased in respondents who reported that they faced rejection or discrimination for their identities. we are talking about a direct link between child suicide and non-acceptance of LGBT folks, as recently as *last year,* and we still have people in here talking about how they don't want to hear it or it's not significant.

Man, how awful.

Those are number for CHILDREN…

Imagine treating so badly you consider suicide before you ever even get to experience life.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Again, your going back to should and shouldnts. It’s about what is. It’s a controversial topic period the end. I just find it hilarious we’re all banned from discussing “controversial topics” (ie race, religion, sex, politics) until now. Glaring double standard. Will the thread get locked if we continue this discussion into religion and morality? I mean who wouldn’t have known that’s where this discussion ultimately always leads. Or is that crossing the line that’s already been crossed?

I plainly showed you were Webby - the owner of this site - opened up this topic.

As his Moderator, I kindly ask you to direct these questions to him.

Tks.

I 100% support him and hope it encourages others to come out as well (if they want). Hope he is treated equally and respected. 

With that said, hope people don’t call Mark Davis a homophobe when we cut him next year. It was already a unanimous fan decision that we all want him gone (before he came out). He was quite bad last year and eating a ton of salary cap. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

Just to balance things out, youth suicide is up across the board and especially in 'high risk' categories (poverty, broken homes, minorities, LBGTQ, etc). I read an article that suicidal thoughts were up to 25% amongst youth in 2020. Probably also has something to do with the pandemic.

Not to demean your point, because obviously LBGTQ is a high risk group and needs support. 

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

I submit to you a quote.

"We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere." - Elie Wiesel.

In this case, if we're not actively trying to help people who are disenfranchised and who are being othered by educating the ignorant around us, we are being neutral. And that's not how we help the world grow and improve for everyone. It's how we continue to oppress and limit those people's freedoms.

So I was going to avoid commenting all together, but this struck me. It reminds me of the "To be silent is to be complicit" slogan that got thrown around last summer. I hated it then and I hate it now. It's an underhanded tactic that comes across as shaming someone into agreeing with you.

I have my own life, my own problems, and a family to worry about, I don't have to care about you or anyone else with your troubles and that does not make me or anyone else who takes that stance a bad person. This type of rhetoric just needs to stop as it just deepens any divide that was already there and pushes people away from the cause you're championing.

• Like 1

hope this leads to more people being able to comfortably be able to just be themselves and not have to hide. i mean, just looking back at my own childhood and adolescence, i feel really crappy about having used the f slur as an insult. glad times are changing for the better in this regard

• Like 4