Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Again, your going back to should and shouldnts. It’s about what is. It’s a controversial topic period the end. I just find it hilarious we’re all banned from discussing “controversial topics” (ie race, religion, sex, politics) until now. Glaring double standard. Will the thread get locked if we continue this discussion into religion and morality? I mean who wouldn’t have known that’s where this discussion ultimately always leads. Or is that crossing the line that’s already been crossed?

1  I have to respectfully disagree.

Race, religion, sex, politics, etc. rarely, if ever, have a substantive impact on the NFL. This is an exception primarily because it actually does have some level of (potential) impact on how the NFL and teams operate and handle the situation(s). 

For football purposes, race became a fairly muted issue a long time ago. Any mention of it really just doesn't carry a lot of value in terms of what the NFL will do. It's a desegregated league. 

Religion and football are very separate issues (except for SEC country and Texas lol). Teams pray, players acknowledge their beliefs, etc. It too became a non-issue a good while back. Other than a few outspoken guys (Tebow, Rivers, etc), I wouldn't be able to verify a religious leaning for like 90% of the NFL. It just doesn't come up as noteworthy and unless the NFL files to be designated as a church, religious discourse and football just don't have a place they intersect. 

Politics rarely intersect with football as well. If they do, it's often been about race (discussed above as a non-issue in regards to football unless looking for controversy) or homosexuality (which has been opened up for this discussion in a way those who work in the law would recognize as narrowly tailored). Where politics have come in before, it was primarily the Kaepernick discussions. As I recall, it was fine to talk about as long as there was a link between the discussion and playing for/administration of a football team. Pretty easy to keep track of, really. 

In this case, they were pretty clear that it was opened to discuss the impact it will have on the NFL/football world. This means how teams and the league handle openly gay players in the future. It's not like the mods and webbie gave absolute carte blanche. There's a substantive impact on football, and that's the only reason its open. That's not much of a double standard really. 

2. My guess is yes, it will wind up locked if the discussion goes off the rails into politics, religion, morality, and other issues where a link back to football can't be maintained.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Sexuality isn’t a hot topic of discussion/debate? You must be living under a rock.

Anyways, by what moral standard are you calling something right and wrong?

No, sexuality or lack thereof is literally something we are all born with and is a completely normal discussion to have lol.

Did your father ever give you the “Birds and the Bees” talk?

The moral standard of being a good person. Love is love. It would be a pretty heinous thing to shame/hate someone for who they love. 

21 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

What fundamental rights have LGBTQ people been denied and how are they kept out of positions of power? 

No offense but have you even tried doing the most cursory research into this topic? 

2014: First time gay couples had the fundamental right to marry which also comes with the government benefits of marriage. 

27 States: Have no anti-discrimination laws protecting LGBTQ people. 

2011: LGBTQ were not expressly forbidden from military service (Further Bans made from the Trump administration reversed this decision)

2010: First time gay partners had the rights of visitation and medical decisions of their partner. 

26 States: Have no laws allowing an employer from firing a gay employee for being gay. 

2003: Consensual same sex activity cannot be made illegal. 

This stuff didn't happen 40 years ago..... I mean the strides the LGBT community has made in the last 10 years has been amazing but there is a lot of work still needing to be done. 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 13

5 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Because when someone says something mean to a Christian, it's normally because they were being a jerk to begin with and so they deserved to have something mean said to them for being a jerk.

Thats a slippery slope of prejudice. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

What fundamental rights are LGBTQ people been denied and how are they kept out of positions of power? 

Talk about living under a rock lmao.

Some LGBTQ members had not been able to marry one another up until 2015.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

What fundamental rights are LGBTQ people been denied and how are they kept out of positions of power? 

Legislation Affecting LGBT Rights Across the Country | American Civil Liberties Union (aclu.org)

Now this is just CURRENTLY DISCUSSED/ PROPOSED state legislature measures. 

Now, show me any current legislature allowing institutions to actively and knowingly discriminate or dictate the day-day life of Christians/ Religious people. 

• Like 2

Just now, animaltested said:

Now, show me any current legislature allowing institutions to actively and knowingly discriminate or dictate the day-day life of Christians/ Religious people.

Ah yes, the religious persecution of the people who hold almost all of the political power and wealth in the country.

Those poor schmucks, they never catch a break.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

“but they can now”

He probably thinks that racism ended once slavery did too.

best analogy to push back against that argument:

imagine starting a game of monopoly, but while everybody else started with $1,500, you only started with $500

but once the first dice are rolled, all rules become equal for all players, so you shouldnt complain if you lose.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I'm not disagreeing with any of this. I'm just pointing out that we live in a culture that deems it hate speech if something mean is said to LGBTQIA people, but it's just life if something mean is said to a christian. To me that says the tide is shifting.

Are you using “hate speech” colloquially or technically? If you’re using it colloquially, I don’t know what to tell you. LGBTQIA people have historically been adversely treated, so people are quick to call out inappropriate treatment of them (at least more so now). If you’re using it technically, saying mean things to someone, in and of itself, isn’t criminal regardless of what or why you’re saying (short of making actual threats). And if you make statements that rise to criminal offense (typically threats), “hate speech” only comes into play if the specific reason you’re targeting them is the protected status. As a side note, religion (including Christianity) falls under protected status.

And this also doesn’t touch on the differences in power status as was discussed by @-Hope- above, which is a significant factor in determining how these matters get resolved.

So I’m not sure where you’re going with this. Christians aren’t some disadvantaged, persecuted group in this country, no matter how you slice it.

43 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You and your sig go hand and hand. I said nothing wrong or factually incorrect, you can feel free to be mature and accept it or not. Additionally, attempted suicide is one stat. Committed or contemplated suicide are different stats. All of them matter.

PS: "most groups" =/= "all groups". But that is just me being pedantic. 

Or, you could accept that what you said has zero relevance to the topic at hand. 

And yes, you're right it's one statistic. Here's a bunch more

In 2020, The Trevor Project found that that 68% of LGBT youth had depressive episodes. It was 71% in 2019.

In 2020, The Trevor Project found that 40% of LGBT youth considered suicide. It was 39% in 2019.

In 2020, The Trevor Project found that 15% of LGBT youth attempted suicide. It was 18% in 2019.

The Trevor Project also found that "Globally, data points to no significant change in suicide rates among high-income countries, with less data on lower-income countries" due to COVID.

So again, it's irrelevant.

PS: we're talking about one group, not "most groups". Throwing around irrelevant information does nothing but discredit the fact that these numbers are always, every single year, exactly this high for this group. 

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

“but they can now”

He probably thinks that racism ended once slavery did too.

It didnt?

Next you are going to tell me that females arent treated equally. Hell, we allow them to vote, what else do you want?