Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

I've had tens of thousands of posts across different forums for close to two decades.

I’ve had nearly 100k posts just on FF, and never once was I accused of arguing in bad faith on anything that mattered to anyone.

I certainly didn't start off as a polished poster at age 12. I've had to improve and grow.

Needs more time tbh.

I'm open to changing my mind. How about you?

I’m constantly changing my mind about things. Just a couple year ago I wouldn’t have stuck my neck out and risked a ban to try to get this thread opened back up. That’s positive change.

But I won’t change my mind about homophobic crybabies who think being uncomfortable is the same as facing persecution.

Considering by your own admission later that this isn't true...that would make this argument in bad faith. See how easy that was? It doesn't matter if I'm right or not, the claim was made. Thank you for proving my point.

Do you see how a bad faith argument with a homophobic poster could be seen as a good thing? 

As you have demonstrated a textbook example of my point, I have no need to continue. I've derailed this thread enough.

Congrats to Carl, I hope this allows others to feel comfortable to follow in his footsteps.

Amen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

Legislation Affecting LGBT Rights Across the Country | American Civil Liberties Union (aclu.org)

Now this is just CURRENTLY DISCUSSED/ PROPOSED state legislature measures. 

Now, show me any current legislature allowing institutions to actively and knowingly discriminate or dictate the day-day life of Christians/ Religious people. 

Easy to do, but what is the point? This entire thread has been an angry mob. I wish all these types of threads were allowed--I'm a fan of real conversations being had from all sides of the aisle--, but this is just a one-sided flame war with moderators piling on as well. I'll take my warning or ban and not comment further in this disgrace of a thread.

• Like 1

I’m beyond thrilled about this. It’s time. Hopefully Nassib coming out inspired to do so as well, there’s no way he’s the only gay guy in the NFL. 

I can’t tell you how much representation matters. Seeing people like you being who they really are and being accepted for it matters. 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, D82 said:

I’m beyond thrilled about this. It’s time. Hopefully Nassib coming out inspired to do so as well, there’s no way he’s the only gay guy in the NFL. 

If you apply the general rates of people who identify as LBGT to NFL players (something like 3% of men, 4% overall), than each team should have a few players that meet that description. Google says over 1k people work for the Cowboys, so that is probably another ~30-40 people in the front office. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

If you apply the general rates of people who identify as LBGT to NFL players (something like 3% of men, 4% overall), than each team should have a few players that meet that description. Google says over 1k people work for the Cowboys, so that is probably another ~30-40 people in the front office. 

to be fair, that somewhat assumes that the same general percentage will necessarily be found in a very specific field like pro athletics

not saying that it isn't the case, but not sure if its 1:1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pwny said:

I understand exactly what you’re saying. I fully understand that the position you’re aligning yourself as feels to you like you’re not causing harm. That’s the entire point of the the research I mentioned people towards. You think you’re not causing harm, you think this stance of color blind and gender blind and orientation blindness is helpful and not regressive. I’m flatly saying, if it wasn’t clear at first, that it is incorrect and not productive and you’re going to have to stop arguing about how you’re right and just go read if you want to understand it.

This isn’t about the bigots who pretend they don’t care so that they can say angry and mean things under the context of “well, I don’t actually care, so I’m not a bigot”. it’s entirely about how the “me not caring about his sexual identity is the truly progressive stance” is reductive and harmful because of the state of society. So I mean you can either read the articles I pointed towards, or you can keep telling me that it doesn’t apply to you because you aren’t intentionally coming from a harmful place. But I’d honestly much rather you stop arguing and instead just maybe go read some and have an open mind that maybe what you’re doing, regardless of your intent, is harmful.

THIS.

Staying away from situations like this and pretending that taking an equidistant approach is valid is completely wrong. There's only one morally acceptable stance, and it's to fully support people that have been oppressed for no good reason. It's also important to not be tolerant against people who actively or passively support that oppression.

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Fair enough.  Then explain to me what purpose it serves to bring up how you don't care in a subject like this?  

I just don't get how one can't understand why that would be seen as disrespectful/insensitive/ignorant.  Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like a really silly thing to bring up as if it is some positive way to feel.  

I have the same feeling about homeless people in cities where I don’t live. Do I care that they’re camped out all over the place? Not really because I don’t live there. It doesn’t affect me so I don’t care, you do you. 
The reason I brought it up was in explanation of my problem with it. I do not care, but, I hate the spectacle.

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Not yet. But after I’m done laughing about it in the group text who knows how I’m going to feel.

would you say that you're definitely not mad, and actually laughing?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Easy to do, but what is the point? This entire thread has been an angry mob. I wish all these types of threads were allowed--I'm a fan of real conversations being had from all sides of the aisle--, but this is just a one-sided flame war with moderators piling on as well. I'll take my warning or ban and not comment further in this disgrace of a thread.

Social justice reigns supreme. Get out of here with your opinions!