Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

omg, an ignore feature exists? My life is about to get a whole lot better

I just went to his profile and didn't see the option.. can someone help me?

If you’re on mobile, you have to go into your account settings and go to the ignore list

but here’s a direct link

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/ignore/

It’d been there since the new forum though. I’m sorry you’ve had to go 4 years without it.

8 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

For the people who ‘ don’t care ‘ can you at least acknowledge and appreciate that a lot of people do care, and that it means a lot to others to see people like them represented and accepted? 

Yea I fall into this group. But honestly this is me on most things, I'm always amazed at how much other people care about **** that doesn't affect them directly.

• Like 1

This is not in any way supporting the attitudes i’m about to outline, so don’t jump on me like it’s my opinion:

A close friend of mine is very close friends with a current NFL player. Was over his house yesterday when the news broke. Told me said NFL player and his entire groupchat spent the entire time clowning Nassib. 

From a background standpoint a ton of NFL players are coming from environments/neighborhoods that are - speaking bluntly - overwhelmingly homophobic in nature. 

Hopefully that’s something that changes sooner rather than later.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

This is not in any way supporting the attitudes i’m about to outline, so don’t jump on me like it’s my opinion:

A close friend of mine is very close friends with a current NFL player. Was over his house yesterday when the news broke. Told me said NFL player and his entire groupchat spent the entire time clowning Nassib. 

From a background standpoint a ton of NFL players are coming from environments/neighborhoods that are - speaking bluntly - overwhelmingly homophobic in nature. 

Just wait until the trash talk starts on the field... then we will have a huge NFL investigation to talk about for months 

15 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

And that’s why him coming out is important.

Many homophobic people are so in part because they’re not exposed to many people who are openly gay. I’d venture a guess the people clowning him aren’t current or former teammates who know him personally.

It’s easy to clown a stranger, not do much someone you have a personally relationship with and who you generally like and/or respect.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Johnny Nix said:

Just wait until the trash talk starts on the field... then we will have a huge NFL investigation to talk about for months 

Good.

I don’t get to make homophobic jokes/use slurs at my job, not sure why it would be acceptable there.  Mic him up and start issuing fines to the player and the teams.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I don’t post much outside of the Lions forum. But I feel compelled to add my two cents. 

I am gay. The words “gay”, “homosexual”, gay slurs were not used in my household growing up. I had no idea what it was I was feeling or that there were others like me. I knew at a young age that I was different. I felt about the same sex as I was taught I was supposed to feel about the opposite sex. This is very confusing for a child. I learned about how people who were different were sent to institutions and even killed. I was so scared to admit to myself, let alone to others, what I was experiencing. I was also raised Catholic. So going to catechism while wondering why God made me wrong was a very troubling time for me. I stayed in the closet (as much as I could) until I was 20 years old. I came out to my mother and a few friends, quietly, after years of struggling with mental health, depression, suicidal thoughts and questioning faith. I finally had a realization that God doesn’t make mistakes. And being a gay Christian is not an anomaly. It’s living your life as God made you. And who are we to question him?! 

I’ve seen the world change in my lifetime. I’ve seen celebrities, teachers, doctors, lawyers, athletes and even clergy come out as LGBT+. In the last ten years alone, I’ve seen marriage equality, adoption rights and open military service for my US gay brethren. I’ve seen political figures pass laws for our protection. I’ve seen people I was terrified of growing up, walk proudly in pride parades as allies for their gay friends and family. 

Maybe one day seeing a HRC sticker on a vehicle won’t catch my eye right away. Maybe one day we won’t have statistics on youth suicide rates. Maybe one day we all will have a seat at the table where decisions and change take place. But we haven’t arrived at that day yet. So I applaud the Carl Nassibs and Michael Sams of the world. I am thankful and taken aback but the support of others (like you fine ladies and gentlemen in this thread). You are saving lives and creating change simply but choosing to take a stance and use your voice for the betterment of others. Thank you. 

Some moving stuff man, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I don’t post much outside of the Lions forum. But I feel compelled to add my two cents. 

I am gay. The words “gay”, “homosexual”, gay slurs were not used in my household growing up. I had no idea what it was I was feeling or that there were others like me. I knew at a young age that I was different. I felt about the same sex as I was taught I was supposed to feel about the opposite sex. This is very confusing for a child. I learned about how people who were different were sent to institutions and even killed. I was so scared to admit to myself, let alone to others, what I was experiencing. I was also raised Catholic. So going to catechism while wondering why God made me wrong was a very troubling time for me. I stayed in the closet (as much as I could) until I was 20 years old. I came out to my mother and a few friends, quietly, after years of struggling with mental health, depression, suicidal thoughts and questioning faith. I finally had a realization that God doesn’t make mistakes. And being a gay Christian is not an anomaly. It’s living your life as God made you. And who are we to question him?! 

I’ve seen the world change in my lifetime. I’ve seen celebrities, teachers, doctors, lawyers, athletes and even clergy come out as LGBT+. In the last ten years alone, I’ve seen marriage equality, adoption rights and open military service for my US gay brethren. I’ve seen political figures pass laws for our protection. I’ve seen people I was terrified of growing up, walk proudly in pride parades as allies for their gay friends and family. 

Maybe one day seeing a HRC sticker on a vehicle won’t catch my eye right away. Maybe one day we won’t have statistics on youth suicide rates. Maybe one day we all will have a seat at the table where decisions and change take place. But we haven’t arrived at that day yet. So I applaud the Carl Nassibs and Michael Sams of the world. I am thankful and taken aback but the support of others (like you fine ladies and gentlemen in this thread). You are saving lives and creating change simply but choosing to take a stance and use your voice for the betterment of others. Thank you. 

Love it! Good stuff 👏🙃😊

I don’t know if this has already been said but Michael Sam was the first active player to announce he was gay. He was drafted by the Rams and I think played in preseason games but not regular season games. I think maybe that’s why he doesn’t get acknowledged as an “active” player but he did play games in the NFL even though those stats aren’t official since it was in the preseason. 

I also think it’s pretty cool that the jersey sells went up. I know Sam Jersey sells was 2nd to only Manziel at the time. That shows the support behind the player so I’m glad for Nassib in that regard and it’s a step that I hope others take and society in general to not be afraid and to accept people for who they are. 

50 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I’ve honestly learned a lot over the past months about non binary. I know it is hard for the LGBT+ community and outside this forum I’ve went on the record to say when someone misgender a trans it’s the same as calling a black person the n word. I got push back from saying that but it’s the truth. Takes a lot of courage to openly admit your sexuality but I feel like society need to change and be more open minded and accepting. Not for nothing but I truly appreciate your post. You definitely have my support. People are people no matter who they are. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I don’t know if this has already been said but Michael Sam was the first active player to announce he was gay. He was drafted by the Rams and I think played in preseason games but not regular season games. I think maybe that’s why he doesn’t get acknowledged as an “active” player but he did play games in the NFL even though those stats aren’t official since it was in the preseason. 

I also think it’s pretty cool that the jersey sells went up. I know Sam Jersey sells was 2nd to only Manziel at the time. That shows the support behind the player so I’m glad for Nassib in that regard and it’s a step that I hope others take and society in general to not be afraid and to accept people for who they are. 

But he came out before he was drafted, so he wasn't an active NFL player. While people question whether his coming out impacted his draft status, he wasn't in the NFL when it happened. He wasn't in the lockerroom, on the field, team bus and plane with NFL players and coaches when he did it. While no one can diminish his mighty big step towards equality, his impact is quite different than someone who has an actual NFL career on the line. 

• Like 1

Just now, Louis Friend said:

But he came out before he was drafted, so he wasn't an active NFL player. While people question whether his coming out impacted his draft status, he wasn't in the NFL when it happened. He wasn't in the lockerroom, on the field, team bus and plane with NFL players and coaches when he did it. While no one can diminish his mighty big step towards equality, his impact is quite different than someone who has an actual NFL career on the line. 

That’s true. Not only that but people question the Rams motive for drafting him in terms of getting attention. In the end I didn’t think he got a fair shake in the NFL which sucks. 

• Like 2