Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

On this whole, "I don't care" bit, I think a big part of the instinctive backlash to those who say that they don't really care about this or his sexuality or whatever, is "I don't care" is 100% a cover up for many people who really do wish to say "I don't want to hear about this" or "I don't like this." That may not be the people posting in this thread, I certainly hope it isn't, but there is absolutely a crowd that does use that statement that way, and you do kind of lump yourself in with that group by saying similar things. Up until recently, I had two employees who fell very hard into this category. Black Lives Matter? They don't care if you're black. Juneteenth? They don't care about any of those holidays that aren't for everyone. Diversity or inclusion talks? Who cares what anyone is anyway? And every time, when you got them at home or on Twitter or just feeling a little bit less like self-censoring, they would be clear that what they really wanted was for those people to just be quiet about it all, and leave them alone. There's a lot of that out there on social media and in the real world, and "I don't care" is an easy politically correct cover for a lot of those opinions. It becomes "I don't care so stop talking about this." Again, I am not saying anyone in this thread are those people, but that is who you get associated with, when the same words or rhetoric come out. The line between "I don't care because all people are equal" and "I don't care because I just don't want to hear this crap" is not obvious.

But beyond this, just from a common usage and interpretation, I don't know how anyone could believe a phrase like "I don't care" to be truly neutral. "I don't care," in any context, is going to be interpreted negatively. Anyone would interpret that response, to virtually any topic, that way. If a coworker approaches me and says "Man, I had a great day yesterday," and I respond, "I don't care," I'm a complete and total prick. Full stop. That is 100% how that would come across. If someone makes a thread here, that they invested time and research into, they post a few paragraphs and some statistics about a topic they're invested or opinionated on, and as soon as they post that thread, I reply immediately "I don't care," again, I'm a prick. It is a negative response, because almost undoubtedly, whoever I'm responding to does care. The internet complicates the question of who we're responding to. We could consider that to be Nassib, we could consider that to be OP, or just whoever is reading this thread, really, but by saying you don't care, you are absolutely projecting negativity towards those who do care. Saying you don't care is a disagreement and a shut down to those who do. And even if that's not the intent, it should be abundantly clear by this point, in modern society, that intent is not all that matters, interpretation matters as well. The world is full of people saying insensitive things that they don't realize are insensitive, but how people hear what you say does matter in a different, but no less important way, than how you mean it.

I have been blessed enough in life to have strong and trusting enough relationships to have had three people very dear to me at those points in my life come out to me, in their own ways. And I remember how I responded. I remember how nervous they were, even knowing the kind of person I was and who I try to be. They were nerve wracking moments for each of them, fearing what this could change or how I may react. For two of them I was either the first person they came out to, or was in a group that was first. And I can't imagine how brutal a response of "I don't care" would have been, to them. Even if I just meant that it doesn't change anything to me, even if I meant well and they knew it, I imagine it would have been truly heartbreaking for those three words to be the first they heard. It's a shut down. It's a phrase used to end.

If you don't care, shut up. I don't care, that you don't care. Enjoy your apathy in silence, and allow those who do care to rally together and support each other.

I don't know that I'll reply to anyone who replies to this post. I won't want to, but sometimes I can't resist. But I read through 32 pages and I wasn't going to be able to go to sleep without posting something of my own.

Very well said.

I guess this is a question for Raiders fans, but will he even make the roster? His career hasn't been that impressive thus far in his from what I've heard, and might be looking for another team soon. Seems like he might be more suited for a backup spot than a starter, but I haven't seen him play much. 

3 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I guess this is a question for Raiders fans, but will he even make the roster? His career hasn't been that impressive thus far in his from what I've heard, and might be looking for another team soon. Seems like he might be more suited for a backup spot than a starter, but I haven't seen him play much. 

He's basically locked in this year. Would cost them more to cut than to keep. Most Raider fans I know expect him to be cut next year unless performance shifts dramatically. He has a ~$8M salary next year, so they save like $4M or $5M cutting him next offseason. This year he's pretty locked in as a rotational guy with Ngakoue, Ferrell, and Crosby.

He's a decent player, they just overpaid.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yeah, his contract basically ensures him a spot. He'll probably be let go next season though, unless he shows a good bit of improvement and restructures his deal. He's not awful, we just overpaid him. He's a fine enough rotational guy, but he's definitely not a flashy sack master like he was at Penn St. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

As others have said, yes he will this year purely due to his contract. Next year he is a goner though unless he significantly ups his play. The contract was a bad one day one, but his play last year was weak at best and now we added Yannick + Crosby is healthy, not to mention Ferrell is pretty solid yet unspectacular.

I already know we are going to get such bad PR when we cut him but it is what it is. I hope he crushes it for us or whoever he plays for down the road.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I already know we are going to get such bad PR when we cut him

I don’t think this is necessarily true. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I already know we are going to get such bad PR when we cut him but it is what it is.

Why, though? It's not like the media and fans are just going to automatically assume you released him because he's gay. Nobody is questioning the Browns or TB intentions for releasing him, nor do they with the Rams for releasing Sam.

His play on the field will speak for itself and the org as a whole. The only way the Raiders (or any team) would receive any backlash is if he balls out, gets released, and there's some sort of clear extreme prejudice going on behind the scenes that gets leaked to confirm it.

Other than that, if he gets released then he just wasn't a good enough player....simple as that. Nothing more, nothing less.

13 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

The thing I'm not looking forward to is all the commentating on his sexuality. 

Carl nassib sacks patrick mahomes. This is the first gay sack in the nfl. This is the first time mahomes has been sacked by an openly gay man. 

It will be like when every  time they mention Ryan Fitzpatrick and his wonderlic or college score.  

I don't think that's going to be a thing either tho. In fact, I bet they won't even mention it at all and just focus on his play.  Major networks like to try to remain neutral.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't think that's going to be a thing either tho. In fact, I bet they won't even mention it at all and just focus on his play.  Major networks like to try to remain neutral.

I have removed my post. 

It probably wont thankfully. 

I always liked carl as player for the browns. I like tall defensive ends. He should never have been cut by dorsey. I'm not sure of they knew about his sexuality at the time, I certainly hope that wasnt part of the reason he got cut. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I have removed my post. 

It probably wont thankfully. 

I always liked carl as player for the browns. I like tall defensive ends. He should never have been cut by dorsey. I'm not sure of they knew about his sexuality at the time, I certainly hope that wasnt part of the reason he got cut. 

Think it was ok, to let that post sit.

It's a valid situation, because it can go either way: sometimes networks try to over-expose something, and sometimes they just ignore it.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

How did this go 33 pages? 

On 6/22/2021 at 1:03 AM, Webmaster said:

I've decided to open this topic up.  After discussing it with some members and mods, I feel this is something that members should be allowed to discuss, even though it's not football related.    

See page 1.

Tks.

9 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

On this whole, "I don't care" bit, I think a big part of the instinctive backlash to those who say that they don't really care about this or his sexuality or whatever, is "I don't care" is 100% a cover up for many people who really do wish to say "I don't want to hear about this" or "I don't like this." That may not be the people posting in this thread, I certainly hope it isn't, but there is absolutely a crowd that does use that statement that way, and you do kind of lump yourself in with that group by saying similar things. Up until recently, I had two employees who fell very hard into this category. Black Lives Matter? They don't care if you're black. Juneteenth? They don't care about any of those holidays or months that aren't for everyone. Diversity or inclusion talks? Who cares what anyone is anyway? And every time, when you got them at home or on Twitter or just feeling a little bit less like self-censoring, they would be clear that what they really wanted was for those people to just be quiet about it all, and leave them alone. There's a lot of that out there on social media and in the real world, and "I don't care" is an easy politically correct cover for a lot of those opinions. It becomes "I don't care so stop talking about this." Again, I am not saying anyone in this thread are those people, but that is who you get associated with, when the same words or rhetoric come out. The line between "I don't care because all people are equal" and "I don't care because I just don't want to hear this crap" is not obvious.

But beyond this, just from a common usage and interpretation, I don't know how anyone could believe a phrase like "I don't care" to be truly neutral. "I don't care," in any context, is going to be interpreted negatively. Anyone would interpret that response, to virtually any topic, that way. If a coworker approaches me and says "Man, I had a great day yesterday," and I respond, "I don't care," I'm a complete and total prick. Full stop. That is 100% how that would come across. If someone makes a thread here, that they invested time and research into, they post a few paragraphs and some statistics about a topic they're invested or opinionated on, and as soon as they post that thread, I reply immediately "I don't care," again, I'm a prick. It is a negative response, because almost undoubtedly, whoever I'm responding to does care. The internet complicates the question of who we're responding to. We could consider that to be Nassib, we could consider that to be OP, or just whoever is reading this thread, really, but by saying you don't care, you are absolutely projecting negativity towards those who do care. Saying you don't care is a disagreement and a shut down to those who do. And even if that's not the intent, it should be abundantly clear by this point, in modern society, that intent is not all that matters, interpretation matters as well. The world is full of people saying insensitive things that they don't realize are insensitive, but how people hear what you say does matter in a different, but no less important way, than how you mean it.

I have been blessed enough in life to have strong and trusting enough relationships to have had three people very dear to me at those points in my life come out to me, in their own ways. And I remember how I responded. I remember how nervous they were, even knowing the kind of person I was and who I try to be. They were nerve wracking moments for each of them, fearing what this could change or how I may react. For two of them I was either the first person they came out to, or was in a group that was first. And I can't imagine how brutal a response of "I don't care" would have been, to them. Even if I just meant that it doesn't change anything to me, even if I meant well and they knew it, I imagine it would have been truly heartbreaking for those three words to be the first they heard. It's a shut down. It's a phrase used to end.

If you don't care, shut up. I don't care, that you don't care. Enjoy your apathy in silence, and allow those who do care to rally together and support each other.

I don't know that I'll reply to anyone who replies to this post. I won't want to, but sometimes I can't resist. But I read through 32 pages and I wasn't going to be able to go to sleep without posting something of my own.

This deserves at least 50 footballs/likes. I know you didn’t do it for that, but man it was a great post.

Really cool that 3 people you know were willing to come out to you, cause that shows a lot of trust and even more so about your character, cause you can’t just be sharing your biggest secret to just anyone. So good on you for being someone they could go to in a time of need.

Seeing all the “I don’t cares” on Twitter posts about it really irked me, because it is such a cover up for how people really feel, but don’t want to just outright say. I’m glad you were able to articulate why it’s harmful and not moving the discussion forward in such an eloquent way.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

See page 1.

Tks.

I think they probably just meant that it’s amazing that it hasn’t got too out of control to the point where people had to be warned/banned and the topic got locked.

I think for the most part on the pages I’ve read that most stayed on topic and were respectful of others opinions even if they don’t agree necessarily.

TBH I think this is still relevant to football and society, but on a level that isn’t really talked about, so I’m glad you guys decided to open it up and just moderate closely, cause maybe some of the discussion will open people’s eyes that were more closed minded on the issue. Also, you can’t really have long form discussion on too many social media platforms except for Facebook I guess and I haven’t used that in years.

• Like 2