Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

30 minutes ago, 43M said:

I know the argument will be along the lines of "Being straight isnt considered taboo like being gay is"....and thats true, but attacking others for not praising him doesnt promote progress...it inhibits it.

Am I saying you can't give Nassib credit for coming out?   Not at all, but I personally dont care.   I care who he is as an individual.  People calling that dismissive are so fake....more interested in looking like a hero than anything else.   

One of my best friends growing up was gay.    Have several former military friends who are gay.  Have a coworker I work close to that is gay....I support them, and would have their backs against anyone who hated on them for it.   

But the fact that they are gay is irrelevant to me.    They are good people.   Thats what matters.

Nassib seems like a good dude.   I have no issue with him coming out.   I also dont care.   Anyone who has a problem with that...I care even less.

I understand your mindset here, but the NFL has to be the hardest place to come out in the private sector. Its clear there are many closeted players. I think it should be applauded to add to the perception that its okay to come out in this environment. Give others the confidence to come out. Indifference doesn't add to the perception, it just gives this bigots and haters a larger share of the feedback. We need to come together, as those who support our gay brethren as you and I do, and voice that support where we can in situations like this.

Again, I understand the sentiment you have. If its not made into a big deal it will lead to the perception that gay people in the NFL is normal. However, IMO, it just gives bigots a bigger platform and it negates that. 

• Like 13

42 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s the literal definition 😂 

in·se·cu·ri·ty
/ˌinsəˈkyo͝orədē/

noun

1. 1. 
    uncertainty or anxiety about oneself; lack of confidence

Absolutely.  They can disassociate THEMSELVES.  THEY can leave.  I’m fine with that.

Concerns about what, specifically?

Yes, that is the definition of insecurity but you’re only validating my point.

There are tons of straight people who hold no “uncertainty/anxiety” about who they are and have confidence in themselves, and part of that is knowing that they are instinctually uncomfortable around a person of the same biological sex that is attracted to them.  

Edited by RamblinMan99

20 minutes ago, 43M said:

What concerns exactly?

He has been playing football for years with no issues.    Just because he is out now means players should act differently around/towards him?

If players (or anyone) merely cant respect someone's orientation....thats their problem.   

To add to this - Nassib is the first to come out. He's far from the first to play.

Very important distinction... and a reminder that this has been going on well before Nassib came out. 

• Like 1

Just now, Deadpulse said:

I understand your mindset here, but the NFL has to be the hardest place to come out in the private sector. Its clear there are many closeted players. I think it should be applauded to add to the perception that its okay to come out in this environment. Give others the confidence to come out. Indifference doesn't add to the perception, it just gives this bigots and haters a larger share of the feedback. We need to come together, as those who support our gay brethren as you and I do, and voice that support where we can in situations like this.

Again, I understand the sentiment you have. If its not made into a big deal it will lead to the perception that gay people in the NFL is normal. However, IMO, it just gives bigots a bigger platform and it negates that. 

Yep, these people need our voices in their corner to show support for something that is quite clearly not tolerated by all.

While silence on the issue may not mean that you’re indifferent, it’s easy for it to be perceived as such.

• Like 2

Just now, RamblinMan99 said:

There are tons of straight people who hold no “uncertainty/anxiety” about who they are and have confidence in themselves, and part of that is knowing that why are instinctually uncomfortable around a person of the same biological sex that is attracted to them.  

Yeah I saw that and thought it was a typo because if you have zero insecurities then the only option left is bigotry.

And yes, I validated your stance there for sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s highly likely that I’m just an idiot, but I can’t read a lick of that.

I tried to copy what he wrote but it might have messed up the formatting. 

Basically in today's world, someone not caring about whether he is gay or not is made out to be homophobic. In reality, they are less homophobic than the ones that are accusing them of it. 

I'm aware that we're not quite where we should be yet, so I applaud him making the announcement and realize it will help some others come out, but that doesn't mean that someone who couldn't care less is automatically against it. It just means that they value who someone is as an individual and doesn't take things like race/sexual orientation/religion/etc into account when forming their opinion. That's a good thing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Very well said. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

I respect your take....and I respect people for showing support of Carl...as we should.

But too often these days, the people preaching tolerance are often the most intolerant ones.   

Its one thing to criticize those who bash Carl for his orientation....its another to attack those who are merely indifferent and don't care either way.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Society is so weak that this is considered so brave. Literally who cares. 

You really think that people don't care? Do you live in a cave? Just go read the responses on twitter to the news. To open yourself to that kind of abuse for doing NOTHING wrong at all is incredibly brave. Nassib will, without a single doubt, receive death threats for coming out as gay. You don't think it's brave to open yourself to that abuse, just so you can be you?

You are right, though. Society is weak. Too weak to accept that boys can like boys and girls can like girls.

Society is also ignorant. Hopefully you have a mirror in your house somewhere.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 12

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

To add to this - Nassib is the first to come out. He's far from the first to play.

Very important distinction... and a reminder that this has been going on well before Nassib came out. 

Michael Sam.  😁

2 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

There are tons of straight people who hold no “uncertainty/anxiety” about who they are and have confidence in themselves, and part of that is knowing that they are instinctually uncomfortable around a person of the same biological sex that is attracted to them.  

Just because Nassib is gay...it doesn't mean he walks around hitting on the guy across from him because he is innately attracted to them.  That's not how being gay works.

That said, I am both happy for Nassib being able to feel safe/comfortable enough to come out and say this, I hope it opens the door for other players, and I look forward to the day when a player coming out as gay isn't a story.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Society is so weak that this is considered so brave. Literally who cares. 

Well, you might want to break bread with the foundation that Nassib just donated 100k to, The Trevor Project. The one regarding LGBTQ youth that focuses on suicide prevention. If Carl Nassib can utilize his platform to help save a life, do some good on the planet for people, why does that come off as an indictment that society is "weak"?

• Like 3

Just now, 43M said:

I respect your take....and I respect people for showing support of Carl...as we should.

But too often these days, the people preaching tolerance are often the most intolerant ones.   

Its one thing to criticize those who bash Carl for his orientation....its another to attack those who are merely indifferent and don't care either way.

if this is referring to my posts, see the posts made by @Deadpulse and @LETSGOBROWNIES.

they pretty much sum up how i feel about this in a much better way then how I articulated it.

• Like 3