Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t want to backtrack or go in circles, but if you agree with my point than this should be an easy and obvious change to make to assure you’re being the best ally you can.  I mean, we all should want to put our best foot forward on things like this, right?

Continuing to say “I don’t care” while also admitting you agree that it can be viewed as dismissive or regressive by some doesn’t really accomplish that.

You're right, and now that I know people can view it that way, I'll probably avoid going that route to be safe. That doesn't mean that everyone takes it as a harmful phrase (which has been proven here) and that unless I educate myself enough to the point where I agree with that, I'm being insensitive or shouldn't be able to voice my opinion. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just don’t understand why if you understand the point, which tbh, you seem to by acknowledging that some of the phraseology is terrible, you continue to defend it?

I used to have your same mindset.  “I don’t care, bro”.  I thought it was a good stance.  I thought who could be offended by me not caring?  But then I learned that *some* people view it as dismissive, as though that part of their personality is irrelevant to me when it’s clearly not irrelevant to them. YOU may not care that they’re LGBTQ, but THEY do.  It’s an important part of their identity and one that, for many, was exceptionally difficult to even realize and perhaps even more so to admit openly.

So when I learned this I thought damn, I certainly don’t want people to feel as though “I don’t care”, because I DO care, I want these people who I care about to know that I DO care about them and who they are as a person. 

So I changed my verbiage.  I acknowledged that I while I may not have meant anything by it, I may be doing more harm than good to *some* people.  

I just don’t get why so many people seem to have such an issue looking at this and saying “damn, I never realized this statement could be viewed as such, lemme just make that change so that misunderstanding doesn’t happen”. 

And yes, I’m assuming you and others didn’t know this before this thread because I’d hate to think that anyone who is as supportive of LGBTQ folks as some in this thread say they are would then be so dismissive of the issue. I’m assuming you’d want to do your best and be as supportive as you could be.

I dont understand why its so hard for some posters to read what I am writing instead of reading what they want to hear to argue. Once we figure that out, perhaps I will stop getting falsely labeled. It took me to your second sentence to realize you never had my mindset. 

I feel like it's time for some people to walk away from this. I'm not going to name names, but you should know who you are

If you're spending LITERAL DAYS defending yourself in a thread like this, then its time to just accept that people aren't seeing eye to eye with you and just walk away.

As much as you've come to think this thread is about you and people's perception of you or their perception of your comments - it isn't about you. And it's incredibly selfish to spend literal dozens of pages saying "listen to why I'm not wrong" 

Seriously.. just be done with this and move on to something else. Nobody will think lesser of you if you walk away before everyone miraculously changes their mind and says "oh yes, now I see, you were right all along!"

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t want to backtrack or go in circles, but if you agree with my point than this should be an easy and obvious change to make to assure you’re being the best ally you can.  I mean, we all should want to put our best foot forward on things like this, right?

Continuing to say “I don’t care” while also admitting you agree that it can be viewed as dismissive or regressive by some doesn’t really accomplish that.

Why is it that some posters refuse to actually read what people have said?

18 hours ago, JonStark said:

I am 100% alright with that, however that hasn't been what you have been saying.

You have been telling me that using that phrase is harmful and insensitive and that I need to fix myself. For someone who has plenty of people in their life in the LGBT community and not only treats everyone as equal, but speaks out against hate, I take offense to that. Had you said "Hey, that phrase can be taken one of a few ways so I'd personally appreciate if you would say it a different way", I promise you I would've said no problem with probably a thumbs up emoji. Instead you went with the "Do some research because you're being hurtful and are wrong" route. 

This was 18 hours ago. He already said he realized that the potential pitfalls in phrases. Really, Brownies (and others) its a bad look that you keep putting words into other peoples mouth and then lambasting them.

You (and others) are the ones that are not reading whats being said.

4 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I feel like it's time for some people to walk away from this. I'm not going to name names, but you should know who you are

If you're spending LITERAL DAYS defending yourself in a thread like this, then its time to just accept that people aren't seeing eye to eye with you and just walk away.

As much as you've come to think this thread is about you and people's perception of you or their perception of your comments - it isn't about you. And it's incredibly selfish to spend literal dozens of pages saying "listen to why I'm not wrong" 

Seriously.. just be done with this and move on to something else. Nobody will think lesser of you if you walk away before everyone miraculously changes their mind and says "oh yes, now I see, you were right all along!"

This is definitely directed at me and you're 100% right. I've explained why it struck a nerve with me and felt the need to defend myself, but after days of back and forth it might just not be in the cards to find common ground (even if I feel like we're almost there and have been on the same side all along). At this point, it's probably best to just let it go. 

11 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Very well said.

(You wanna be a Mod?)

19 minutes ago, JonStark said:

You're right, and now that I know people can view it that way, I'll probably avoid going that route to be safe. That doesn't mean that everyone takes it as a harmful phrase (which has been proven here) and that unless I educate myself enough to the point where I agree with that, I'm being insensitive or shouldn't be able to voice my opinion. 

Good for you man.

I'd encourage you to use this attitude beyond just how you talk about LGBTQIA+ issues. It's hard to constantly have to ask yourself "how could I have phrased that better?", but it's worth it. I promise it will open doors for you.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont understand why its so hard for some posters to read what I am writing instead of reading what they want to hear to argue.

People are reading what you’re writing, and it doesn’t match up with what you say you’re arguing for.

Do you feel that more people are misrepresenting you than people who aren’t? 

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Once we figure that out, perhaps I will stop getting falsely labeled. It took me to your second sentence to realize you never had my mindset. 

You poor thing. You are a victim in this, don’t forget it. Don’t hide it.

And don’t forget that you had those 4-5 people liking your posts on Tuesday and Wednesday. Harness that supportive energy and preserver. Go back and find the posts of your supporters, study them, find new talking points, I’m sure your fans are chock full of knowledge just waiting to be realized.

6 minutes ago, Dome said:

People are reading what you’re writing, and it doesn’t match up with what you say you’re arguing for.

Do you feel that more people are misrepresenting you than people who aren’t? 

Nope. Just 2-3 of you that are misrepresenting multiple people. Not just me. 

You poor thing. You are a victim in this, don’t forget it. Don’t hide it.

Thank you for the support. /s

And don’t forget that you had those 4-5 people liking your posts on Tuesday and Wednesday. Harness that supportive energy and preserver. Go back and find the posts of your supporters, study them, find new talking points, I’m sure your fans are chock full of knowledge just waiting to be realized.

I didnt talk about people liking my post. I brought up people encouraging (your) negative behavior. But I assume that point sailed directly over your head. I know, reading is hard sometimes but you keep trying buddy! 

Edited by Matts4313