Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To my knowledge not a single person has been banned or given a warning for content they posted in this thread, including people with some absolutely atrocious takes.

I've hidden a few posts that go deep into politics and/or religion, but that's about it.

I don't get it...

- The Mod team and I take action, and we're too heavy handed. We lock too quick and are too fast on Warnings.

- We don't take action and let conversation go, and we're not doing enough (rhetorical response, we're doing EXACTLY what we should be doing based on discussions on how to manage this specific thread).

Seems like we can't please everyone...

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If you want me to take the bait, you’re going to have to hide it better than that.  I think you can read between the lines.

No bait. I am genuinely curious. I would even discuss it in PM if you wanted.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I've hidden a few posts that go deep into politics and/or religion, but that's about it.

I don't get it...

- The Mod team and I take action, and we're too heavy handed. We lock too quick and are too fast on Warnings.

- We don't take action and let conversation go, and we're not doing enough (rhetorical response, we're doing EXACTLY what we should be doing based on discussions on how to manage this specific thread).

You guys are doing a good job 

Can't please everyone

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Unless I missed it I don't think Matts is judging the marginalized group.  I think he's judging folks who in his view are overzealously white-knighting for that group in a way that's actually counter productive to the cause and only serves to make them feel better about themselves while alienating other people with similarly good intentions. 

I have too much of a life to dig into the specifics here but there's a difference. 

You are a word poet my friend. 

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't get it...

Good thing you get that fat salary.

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You responded to my post 11 hours ago. This is you just following me around like a lost puppy dog and pestering me. Im not going to feed you, go home. 

More like combating you being a jerk, but lets not nitpick.

Just a couple of you. Hive mind is a real thing though. Even our glorious forum admin can be subject to it. 

Im not arguing you, how can you not see it. I conceded the one point about phraseology a long time ago. You keep acting like I am doing something I am not. Leave me alone. 

If you're not arguing with me, why do you have about 20 posts in this thread telling me I'm wrong and my tone is the real problem? It's a pretty obvious argument we're having; I'm arguing that we should empower LGBT+ voices and our main focus should be on making sure that marginalized groups don't feel marginalized by well meaning people. Meanwhile, all of your posts are about how that might be true, but that the well meaning people really are well meaning so you need to focus on making sure they don't feel attacked by LGBT+ people, so you need to argue against any LGBT+ members who are asking them to stop saying things that actually help perpetuate systemic damage because the only issue you want to directly address is that they're perpetuating an angry atmosphere, even if —as you've admitted —  they aren't being angry and unkind when doing this.

1 minute ago, Johnny Nix said:

Maybe we will get our first gay couple on the same team soon, that would be sweet

These are the sort of opportunities to make a joke that the old mission would never have been able to pass up, but in the spirit of the thread, I will refrain 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't get it...

No one ever can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

These are the sort of opportunities to make a joke that the old mission would never have been able to pass up, but in the spirit of the thread, I will refrain 

You might as well, this thread is open for everything

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

blah blah more silly rhetoric. 

@ET80 Can you warn this cat for tagging me over and over? Ive asked him to stop stalking me and he wont. Im pretty sure he is just outside of the restraining order zone I have on him with binoculars as we speak. Take that chubby kids leg from Tyty's thread and smack some sense into him.

(this post is a joke. I am not actually calling for a warning. I know pwny and ET know this, but I am getting scared some of you dont realize dumb jokes)

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Unless I missed it I don't think Matts is judging the marginalized group.  I think he's judging folks who in his view are overzealously white-knighting for that group in a way that's actually counter productive to the cause and only serves to make them feel better about themselves while alienating other people with similarly good intentions. 

I have too much of a life to dig into the specifics here but there's a difference. 

He's literally told actual LGBT+ members — not white knights for them — that even though they aren't being overzealous and have not been angry, that the environment they're fostering is bad. Because they are telling people who are saying things without the intent of being harmful that they are fostering an environment that is bad.

He's literally said that the only thing that the people being called out should be judged on is their intent, regardless of impact, while simultaneously telling LGBT+ people that their impact [by pointing out the impact of the others] is the problem.

• Like 3