Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

Just now, iknowcool said:

I never said you had to care.  I'm just confused why someone who doesn't care thinks they need to post in this thread.  What purpose does it serve you to tell everyone how you don't care about someone's orientation?

I can think of a handful of reasons why someone might do that, but none of them are "person truly does not care."  

Because 'I don't care about this' is a bad faith substitution for 'this makes me feel uncomfortable, I want this to stop.'

• Like 7
4 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

But football is a contact sport and I’m  just thinking about the other players on the team and the other players in the league as a whole.  

Do you believe that “the gay” can just be given to someone by “contact”.

If any functioning adult cannot possibly fathom another man loving another man/woman & woman, and it disturbs them so much that they’re truly uncomfortable just being around that person, then 🦆  em.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

If you are indifferent to this, then that is okay.  But what is the point of posting in this thread?  Just to say, "I don't care"?  It's pretty obvious why some people would consider that being dismissive.  o you go into a thread about a TV show you have never watched just to express how irrelevant it is to you?

To be fair, I think I have been guilty of this... but I also don't see it as an apples to apples comparison

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, 43M said:

What concerns exactly?

He has been playing football for years with no issues.    Just because he is out now means players should act differently around/towards him?

If players (or anyone) merely cant respect someone's orientation....thats their problem.   

Ok, let’s take Tony Dungy for example.  

He’s a respectable guy around the league.  

When Michael Sam was drafted by St. Louis, Tony Dungy said he would prefer not to have somebody like Michael Sam on his team because he wouldn’t “want to deal with it.”  

What he was trying to say is that this is not something that everybody is automatically going to be ok with.  

That had a lot to do with why Michael Sam didn’t play a regular season game in the NFL. 

It wouldn’t be all that surprising if Nassib were to leave the league after this upcoming season too.  

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Ok first off,  somebody has every right to be racist if being around minorities makes them uncomfortable.  No, it’s not immaturity/insecurity.  There are still millions of white people who are very sure of themselves and still feel that way.  

They don’t have to make racist slurs or enact violence against that group of people, but they have every right to disassociate themselves from minorities.  

And, given the fact that the NFL is a source of employment for the white players just as much as it is for the minority player, they have a right to voice their concern.  No, they should not ever have to fear losing their job.  

FIFY

• Like 10
Just now, MikeT14 said:

To be fair, I think I have been guilty of this... but I also don't see it as an apples to apples comparison

Lol yeah maybe not the best comparison, probably comparing it to another culturally significant event makes more sense.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 43M said:

And bashing those who dont agree with you furthers this cause...how?

By showing them that their views don't belong. 

It's a big deal for Nassib to be an openly gay player. 

It's not wrong for me to talk about how great it is for him to be an openly gay player.

It is wrong for people to downplay something that's important to someone else as if it doesn't matter, simply because they don't care.

If you don't care, zip it. 

There are a lot of things I don't care about, I don't go around telling people how much I don't care. That would be crazy behaviour.

???

It's really simple. Nobody needs support to come out as straight.

So saying "It doesn't matter" about a straight player isn't the same as saying "it doesn't matter" about a guy who came out as gay and says he understands the need for representation.

Enlighten me.

I can see you aren't really open to enlightenment, so I'll pass.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Because 'I don't care about this' is a bad faith substitution for 'this makes me feel uncomfortable, I want this to stop.'

Yeah, this is not even close to true. This kind of thinking is what got me started in the first place, but I'll try to stay on topic.

Overall I'm glad he came out and am happy for him. He's a good dude. Hopefully we'll get to the day when we can all agree that none of this stuff matters anymore.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

I never said you had to care.  I'm just confused why someone who doesn't care thinks they need to post in this thread.  What purpose does it serve you to tell everyone how you don't care about someone's orientation?

I can think of a handful of reasons why someone might do that, but none of them are "person truly does not care."  

You do realize there is a major difference between saying you dont care about a persons orientation and saying you dont care about THE person l, right?

Didn't think that concept was difficult to grasp.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Yeh, reading the "who cares, stop making a big deal of it" reaction on twitter is painful.

If you can't see what a huge deal this is then you're ignorant; plain and simple. Statistics make it abundantly clear that there is absolutely no way there is only 1 gay player in the NFL. With Nassib coming out, it opens the door for others to potentially be comfortable to be themselves and live their life how they want to.

It's incredibly brave. 

Ideally, some day, we truly don't want it to be a big deal. It should just be normalized without the need to make a big announcement.

We aren't there yet, and likely in the US we'll be decades behind other countries before it is.

• Like 3

For the people who don’t understand why this is a big deal or why this matters allow me to put it in perspective 

roughly 6% of people identify as lgbtq, and that numbers likely light because some people will remain closeted. 

There are roughly 1900 players on active NFL rosters/practice squads. There have been roughly 25000 players throughout NFL history. 

That means there’s potentially 115 closeted gay players in the league now, and as many as 1500 closeted gay former players.

If being gay ‘doesn’t matter’ then why is it until Carl Nassib 100% of them chose to keep it a secret? It’s not 2 or 3 people, literally hundreds. Start applying to other sports as well and we are talking thousands remaining in the closet. These players are literally scared it will ruin their career. All you have to do is look at Twitter or Instagram and see the responses he’s getting. NFL fans are not know for being progressive or tolerant and there are a lot of idiots and jerks out there.

Props to Nassib for breaking the barrier. I especially love how nonchalant he was about it. Raiders have been a historically progressive org and glad he can be a next step in that journey. 

• Like 16
Just now, 43M said:

You do realize there is a major difference between saying you dont care about a persons orientation and saying you dont care about THE person l, right?

Considering I'm pretty sure you just misread my post, I don't think you are in a position to question what concepts I can and cannot grasp.

When did I imply that you said you didn't care about "THE" person?  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

When Michael Sam was drafted by St. Louis, Tony Dungy said he would prefer not to have somebody like Michael Sam on his team because he wouldn’t “want to deal with it.”  

Tony Dungy is an absolute moron. 

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

What he was trying to say is that this is not something that everybody is automatically going to be ok with.  

That had a lot to do with why Michael Sam didn’t play a regular season game in the NFL. 

It wouldn’t be all that surprising if Nassib were to leave the league after this upcoming season too.  

right, and part of changing that incorrect mindset is folks coming out in support of Nassib and others so this mindset can be changed.

Do you agree that it would be better if more players could be openly gay without fear of being ostricized from the league?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

But when that person is essentially saying "I want you to care about my sexual orientation so I'm going public with it. It's been a real struggle, this community needs help. We need visibility, we need people to know we're out here." the "I don't care" comments don't really land, you know?

• Like 2